: Ambient Lighting in ATS

off1c3r
09-05-12, 02:50 AM
Has anyone had a chance to go in the car at night to see how the ambient lighting is? Is it similar to the XTS? I tried searching around for photos and or information but all I get is CTS stuff :(

CaddyFanFL
09-05-12, 12:31 PM
I'd be interested in seeing that, too!

rchern
09-05-12, 09:21 PM
The ATS brochure states that all models have "Interior ambient accent lighting on the doors and center console." for whatever that means. Does the dash board not have it? Cadillac's website states "Lighting accent, LED spotlights in doors and overhead console." Still vague.

off1c3r
09-05-12, 09:34 PM
Thats the same information I saw too... very vauge indeed. I would assume that they would do the lighting like the CTS or XTS. I would like to see pictures. They better not pull a camaro with the interior lighting.

AtlantaGuy00
09-05-12, 09:43 PM
What's the Camaro reference? Does the lighting in the Camaro suck? I've never been inside one...

off1c3r
09-06-12, 04:15 AM
What's the Camaro reference? Does the lighting in the Camaro suck? I've never been inside one...

Originally, the camaro had very similar lighting to the CTS. It started in the doors, stretched across the dash, and ended in the other door. The early versions of the car had it. The final production version did not. It had the space for the lighting, they sell the lighting from GMPP, but the vehicle didn't come factory with the ambient light across the dash. It only had it on the doors. A lot of guys ended up buying the light strips, taking apart their dash, and installing it themselves.

JimmyH
09-06-12, 12:40 PM
I have a Camaro with the light strips in the doors. At night, i turn my interior light all the way down so those turn off. I find them VERY distracting. I am betting that is why they removed the strip from the dash.

TheCaptain
09-07-12, 02:59 PM
Maybe they'll do it SRX style!
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4104/4964800729_35c3a6eca3_z.jpg

off1c3r
09-07-12, 07:36 PM
I have a Camaro with the light strips in the doors. At night, i turn my interior light all the way down so those turn off. I find them VERY distracting. I am betting that is why they removed the strip from the dash.

I think that might have been the main reason. Even if you re-install it after factory, it still ties into the dimmer so at least you can tone it down too. People have been changing the colors too which is nice.

Maybe they'll do it SRX style!
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4104/4964800729_35c3a6eca3_z.jpg

I hope thats what they do too. A dealer near me will get a bunch of ATS's next week. I'll try to get out there near night time and see what the real deal is.

RAB
09-09-12, 04:47 PM
Perhaps the interior ambient accent lighting on the '13 ATS will be similar to (or same as?) what's provided on the '13 XTS.
Check out this 36 second "2013 Cadillac XTS Lighting Sequence" video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cxyJFrUqms

off1c3r
09-10-12, 01:30 AM
Perhaps the interior ambient accent lighting on the '13 ATS will be similar to (or same as?) what's provided on the '13 XTS.
Check out this 36 second "2013 Cadillac XTS Lighting Sequence" video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cxyJFrUqms

I had seen that before and I love that video.. I really hope its like that. Again, if no one has an answer by the end of this week.. I hope to have some pictures at night with an ATS to show.

off1c3r
09-14-12, 06:40 PM
I went to the dealer and sat in a base, but I couldn't tell if there were ambient lights or not. There supposed to be a loaded premium next week. I'll check that one out. I was also disappointed with the materials used on the upper door panels. From the photos it looked like soft leather. In person, its hard, plastic type material with stitching. I hope the materials change if you get a higher packaged model.

RAB
09-14-12, 09:18 PM
Excerpt from GM Media/Product Info re ATS interior features:
Contributing to the interior’s intuitive feel is an instrument panel that wraps into the doors and a center stack in the mid-instrument panel that flows into the center console. LED lighting for the bold gauge cluster enables clear, at-a-glance viewing in all lighting conditions, while ambient lighting accents functional elements of the console and doors.

Based on the mention of "while ambient lighting accents functional elements of the console and doors".. I'm guessing now there's only minimal ambient lighting on the ATS as compared to the CTS and XTS, which are equipped with ambient/accent fibre optic light pipes "strategically positioned throughout the interior", including along the mid-point of the instrument panel.
According to the GM Online Order Guide there's no available option package to upgrade the interior lighting on the ATS. All ATS model levels (Standard, Luxury, Performance & Premium) come equipped with "TSQ Lighting Accent, LED spotlights in doors and overhead console".

Cadillac need to reserve some "step-up" elements for car models further up the chain (CTS and XTS), and I'm guessing this may be one of them - along with richer looking/feeling interior materials & appointments.

Cadillac Tony
09-14-12, 10:34 PM
Ambient lighting in the ATS is minimal. There are pin lights shining inside the door handle cups and down onto the shifter/center console area. No long tubes across the doors or dash like the XTS and SRX.

Keep in mind that Cadillac was on a mission to cut every gram possible from this car to make it more tossable, balanced and fuel efficient. Light tubes don't add much, but every little bit added up to 700lbs less than a CTS.

off1c3r
09-15-12, 02:47 AM
Excerpt from GM Media/Product Info re ATS interior features:
Contributing to the interior’s intuitive feel is an instrument panel that wraps into the doors and a center stack in the mid-instrument panel that flows into the center console. LED lighting for the bold gauge cluster enables clear, at-a-glance viewing in all lighting conditions, while ambient lighting accents functional elements of the console and doors.

Based on the mention of "while ambient lighting accents functional elements of the console and doors".. I'm guessing now there's only minimal ambient lighting on the ATS as compared to the CTS and XTS, which are equipped with ambient/accent fibre optic light pipes "strategically positioned throughout the interior", including along the mid-point of the instrument panel.
According to the GM Online Order Guide there's no available option package to upgrade the interior lighting on the ATS. All ATS model levels (Standard, Luxury, Performance & Premium) come equipped with "TSQ Lighting Accent, LED spotlights in doors and overhead console".

Cadillac need to reserve some "step-up" elements for car models further up the chain (CTS and XTS), and I'm guessing this may be one of them - along with richer looking/feeling interior materials & appointments.

Ambient lighting in the ATS is minimal. There are pin lights shining inside the door handle cups and down onto the shifter/center console area. No long tubes across the doors or dash like the XTS and SRX.

Keep in mind that Cadillac was on a mission to cut every gram possible from this car to make it more tossable, balanced and fuel efficient. Light tubes don't add much, but every little bit added up to 700lbs less than a CTS.

Thanks guys. I guess that answers my question. I thought if you had cars like the Buick Lacrosse in the same price range with a wide range of ambient lighting, the ATS wouldn't differ.

Any idea on the door materials. Does it get upgraded when you go up in price point.. or is it just one piece no matter what car you're in.