: Northstar - any thoughts or advice ????

joanscar
09-04-12, 07:51 PM
Hello all,
Can anyone give me the lowdown on the northstar? I have heard both sides, but looking for more info. I am looking at a 1998 deville.
THanks

basscatt
09-04-12, 08:02 PM
everything you could possibly want to know
about the Northstar motor can be found here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/

blalockchiro
09-05-12, 06:08 AM
i have a 97 basic deville with a N* V8, i have had the car for 15 months now. i bought it with 103,000 miles on it. the car itself has been excellent, great ride. i did all the basic maintence stuff when u got it. the only major problem i have had is the water system. the water pump went out, changed, the radiator started leaking...changed...then at the beginning of the past summer it major overheated...i had to tighten all the hoses....and that is it,,,the best thing is, the car will tell u what is wrong with it by codes...best car i have ever bought!!!!!!

Slipgate
09-05-12, 07:22 AM
98 is what I have. I got it with no knowledge of the N*'s issues. The guy that sold it to me thought it had a blown head gasket which he did not tell me about. It turns out it had a leaking water pump and a rusted out metal crossover pipe that goes behind the engine. Water pump cost me $300 to have done and I bypassed the metal pipe for $40. I have put around 20k miles on it with no real issues beyond what I initially did. I did replace all 4 wheels due to air leaking out from rusted beads (common issue), all 4 rotors and pads, a new battery, and the drivers door window motor. It is my daily driver at this point.

Major Design Flaws/PITAs:
Coolant parts that you can't get to without removing the engine
oil fill hole directly above alternator - any spilled oil can cause the alternator to prematurely fail
generally hard to do anything on the engine due to access issues

You should not pay more than $1500 for it unless it is showroom condition and then maybe $2k.

Slipgate
09-05-12, 07:23 AM
i have a 97 basic deville with a N* V8, i have had the car for 15 months now. i bought it with 103,000 miles on it. the car itself has been excellent, great ride. i did all the basic maintence stuff when u got it. the only major problem i have had is the water system. the water pump went out, changed, the radiator started leaking...changed...then at the beginning of the past summer it major overheated...i had to tighten all the hoses....and that is it,,,the best thing is, the car will tell u what is wrong with it by codes...best car i have ever bought!!!!!!

Hey are you a Blalock? I am related to some Blalocks that hail from AL/FL area.

blalockchiro
09-05-12, 08:50 AM
slip, i sent you a PM

89falcon
09-06-12, 09:14 PM

Just as a warning.....often...the reason things start failing in the cooling system is because it's being over pressurized by a leaking HG......
sounds like a slow leak......

codewize
09-08-12, 11:24 PM
Someone here once said, and if I could remember who I'd credit them but they said

Owning a N* without a warranty is like running through a Bosnian minefield. Exhilarating but deadly.

Submariner409
09-09-12, 10:50 AM
Nope, it's the parallel to the ocean racing sailboat owner/crew's explanation -

Like running around stark naked in a cold shower, all the while screaming at the top of your lungs and tearing up $100 bills.

codewize
09-16-12, 10:47 PM
Yup, that too.

stoveguyy
10-07-12, 09:13 AM
U can say any cars value is based on miles and condition. Is this 98 a low miles jewel? 75k miles vs 155k miles is a big diff. Great paint or so-so? New tires? Nice interior?