: Well there went Summer 2012!

orconn
09-04-12, 06:24 PM
Labor Day marks the end of Summer, so they say. I only wish! Here in the Old Dominion Summer isn't really over till the first frost. Yeah, the kids go back to school, the afternoon light has a different slant, but the heat and humidity hang around until the northern zephyrs bring along some cool days as well as nights.

This Summer was particularly confining with weeks of temperatures in the upper nineties (hundreds adjusted for humidity). Good news was I didn't spend much on gas going out into the pea sou atmosphere around here.

Fall and Winter are the nice seasons here in the Mid Atlantic, Spring is nice till the pollen really gets flying coating everything including your lungs with its' grunge. Just another cost of reproduction.

Flu shots to be got and the annual lottery on when the stores will begin Christmas decorations and music (it seems to get earlier every year). Get the cars in for their annual safety check and anything else before Winter is here in full force.

Anyone have any plans for this Fall or Winter?

vincentm
09-04-12, 06:58 PM
Ssssh, it still in the 90's here, i dont want it to end!

Night Wolf
09-04-12, 07:14 PM
eh, the days are finally getting enjoyable to actually do things outside now.

CadillacLuke24
09-04-12, 07:17 PM
I agree with Vincent. 80s here even in Laramie, I am NOT complaining.

Plans? Hopefully accumulate new suspension parts, and ace my classes.

gary88
09-04-12, 07:34 PM
Can't wait until these 85+ degree 85% humidity days are over. Fall is my favorite season by far.

ryannel2003
09-04-12, 08:24 PM
Can't wait until these 85+ degree 85% humidity days are over. Fall is my favorite season by far.

Same here. I'm sick of the 100 degree+, 90% humidity in this area. Lives here my entire life and I still can't get used to it.

Kad4Life
09-04-12, 08:49 PM
Now it's 'Cane season out where I am .
We've got a near miss (hopefully) coming up, Leslie .

At least the car came through the Tourists unscathed .

talismandave
09-04-12, 09:11 PM
:thumbsup:I agree with the fall lovers! As much as I hate to see the summer slip away and the daylight getting shorter, there is something about sweaters, flannel, overcast days and falling leaves, that puts me at peace. I guess you could say I enjoy and look forward to the gloom and sadness of the ending summer.
:nono:Then we go into the hated winter. I do no winter sport unless slipping and falling while shoveling is a sport. I have no use for it. Can't stand it. However....it is very beautiful to wake up to that fresh fallen covering of snow, the hoarfrost when it clings and ices the tree branches and power wires. To sit in the darkened living room, with an fitting beverage, and watch the snow fall at night, with some Tom Waits mellow in the background, is a great way to sort out the happenings of the last year as the new one approaches. I HATE winter, but like all of life, I would be lost without it.
:wisdom:Tis the bitter, to allow the full enjoyment of the sweet.
:cloud9:It is also the time to dream of and plan for the coming spring and summer.:caddy: Like Christmas as a child, the agonizing wait and anticipation, is in and of itself, a joyful kind of agony. It would never be as fun if it just happened on a random date without warning!

My plans, vacation and rebuild my strength. (And hopefully my Cadillac!:lol:)

EChas3
09-04-12, 09:49 PM
Remember "Blue, Red and Grey" by The Who? The refrain concludes, "I love every minute of the day!"

I feel the same about the seasons. With sympathy for drought-stricken farmers, wildfire victims, etc, this has still been a glorious Summer. I can only hope that Fall excels as well.

Change is good.

gary88
09-04-12, 09:52 PM
Due to the drought here this summer our leaves started falling early, really weird to see the lawn covered in leaves when it's 93 degrees outside.

talismandave
09-04-12, 09:57 PM
Same here they were saying it is going to hurt tourism in northern WI and the U.P.

thebigjimsho
09-04-12, 10:40 PM
It's been beautiful in New England for the past 18 months. Rarely too hot and otherwise always pleasant, we've had the best weather in the country...

MrHolland
09-04-12, 10:51 PM
Very well said Mr. Talisman!!

Jesda
09-04-12, 11:01 PM

eh, the days are finally getting enjoyable to actually do things outside now.

Amen to that.

97EldETC
09-04-12, 11:19 PM
It sure went out with a bang here. Literally. Google Walnut Creek, California highway 680 shooting. Good Grief. They shut down the whole south bound freeway and our suburban town turned into New York, New York! Lots of angry drivers and it takes 30 minutes to drive 2 miles (home school/school home)

brandondeleo
09-05-12, 03:36 AM
Still in the 90's up here. I'm good with that. :lol:

Submariner409
09-05-12, 11:44 AM
Relatively normal summer here in eastern MD. Some heat, some cool, some rain, some dry. We're right at average rainfall for the last 6 years of our diary. Pretty much average everywhere - including the midwest........ or have we forgotten the Dust Bowl and a lot of recorded history (regardless of the Corn Lobby) ??

This fall/winter ? Split another cord in late September, wash the house exterior again, put some Round-Up on the weed patches along the north end of the road, maybe build a 10 X 18 wood/shingle storage shed at the edge of the woods. Burn wood and drink spiked egg nog.

MrHolland
09-05-12, 10:13 PM
^^^Wow, sounds like a plan!!! Ill see you there!!

dennis93coupe
09-06-12, 08:50 AM
Haven't seen snow since 85 except a year and a half ago when I jumped the hump to Denver. We have 2 seasons out here, summer and fall. Might get frost a few times in winter. Sure helps keep the underbody clean and rust free.

The-Dullahan
09-06-12, 09:24 AM
In a perfect world, there would be only mountains, valleys, rivers and lakes, the forest would be so thick, one could lose themself within it for days and never know the colour of the sky until they reached the rocky cliffside over the pristine, untainted waterfalls and the only seasons would be what most would call Autumn and Winter.

I have seen this beautiful Elysium before me, far too long ago.

dkozloski
09-06-12, 10:26 AM
Fall is already here. It's 46F and raining.

truckinman
09-06-12, 10:36 AM
I love fall. Best time of year. If I can wear a hoody and jeans and be comfortable, I'm a happy man

CadillacLuke24
09-06-12, 01:38 PM
In a perfect world, there would be only mountains, valleys, rivers and lakes, the forest would be so thick, one could lose themself within it for days and never know the colour of the sky until they reached the rocky cliffside over the pristine, untainted waterfalls and the only seasons would be what most would call Autumn and Winter.

I have seen this beautiful Elysium before me, far too long ago.

In a perfect world it's Laramie WY WITHOUT the obnoxious college students, 62, sunny, and calm.

ShapeShifter
09-06-12, 02:02 PM
The latter half of the summer was pretty nice here in SE Michigan. But the next 30 days should bring about great weather, with mild temps during day and cool at night. Fall colors are nice, but unfortunately for us, mid to late October begins to bring on the really cool temps. Sure sign that cold weather isn't very far off!

thebigjimsho
09-06-12, 06:35 PM
I like winter until early February. Then it can wear thin...

orconn
09-06-12, 07:19 PM
^^^ In some of the climes I have lived in Winter was still wearing very thin in April!!

rodnok01
09-06-12, 10:01 PM
Summer wasn't that bad here this year, rain then heat but not bad at all compared to the last few years. Best thing about htis time of year is college football :)
Looking forward to NOT mowing the stupid grass. Electric bills go way done in the fall thankfully.

gdwriter
09-07-12, 12:01 AM
I did not play enough golf this summer. Summer took a while coming to western Oregon, but it was lovely once it got here, and it's hanging on for now.

The-Dullahan
09-07-12, 01:58 AM
Winter? I have seen it snow in July. Of course, that doesn't make it winter. In the winter, you leave your house through the second story windows.

brandondeleo
09-10-12, 02:38 AM
It's awesome here in the summer, over 100 on a regular basis, but in the middle of winter we regularly plunge below -10. Not so pleasant then. Right now we're floating in the 80s and 90s during the day and the mid 40s at night.

The-Dullahan
09-10-12, 09:02 AM
^See that is way too hot.

Ironic that I spent nine years in Florida not seeing the snow until the multi-state dwelling in Nevada, where I can see snow ten minutes outside Vegas :)

Also, being one of these "Desert" things I used to hear stories about, there is no humidity.

thebigjimsho
09-10-12, 05:57 PM
70 and gorgeous here today in Boston...

brandondeleo
09-11-12, 12:43 PM
It was 38 last night... :helpless:

It's supposed to be 80 today, though. :lol:

thebigjimsho
09-11-12, 03:40 PM
It was about 45 this morning, which is great...

Aron9000
09-11-12, 11:40 PM
Gotta agree with Rick, its just now getting to where doing stuff outside is enjoyable. As much as I hate August, really it was pretty great as far as Tennessee Augusts go. Got a TON of rain, wasn't that hot, still humid as hell though. Mid June through July was just miserable around here, I think we broke some records during that late June heat wave.

If you go up to east TN up in the mountains, they have the perfect weather IMO. Summer is about 5 to 10 degrees cooler on a given day compared to Nashville, plus they can get some pretty good amounts of snow up there. I almost get giddy when we get more than 2" of snow around here, since its probably a once in two or three year event.

brandondeleo
09-13-12, 07:51 AM
Ugh, it's gone... We're closing our pool for the season on the 19th, and this morning my car's top was frozen and crispy. I had to warm the car up for the first time this year. :helpless:

Kad4Life
09-13-12, 12:30 PM
We have a whole new breed of Fall tourons ...Shark Watchers . :rolleyes:

Submariner409
09-16-12, 01:28 PM
Summer ends on 22 September at 1049 EDT (1449 GMT). We have 6 more days .................Just think: 3 months and 6 days to the shortest day of the year (Dec 21) - then they start getting longer, so we'll be right back here (daylight-wise) in 6 months, 12 days.

CadillacLuke24
09-16-12, 05:28 PM
Yeah, but that's too long. Especially out here, where winter comes to be a curse word come March or April. Must be all those winters shoveling the driveway. :rolleyes: Still, I'm a warm weather guy. It's no fun tinkering with the Cadillac when it's 20 degrees out!!!