: Extended Warranty Time?

dqw1
09-04-12, 11:31 AM
Any of you 09v guys purchase the extended warranty this year? I just got the offer in the mail and need to decide fairly quick on getting it or passing, but is it worth purchasing?

neuronbob
09-04-12, 03:26 PM
I am one of those who never buys extended warranties. The exception is with cars I like and intend to keep a long time like this one. I am an '09 owner and after over a year of consideration, am going to pull the trigger. This is the time of year to get GMPP because the price increases every year.

Trapspeed
09-04-12, 07:28 PM
I will be looking at a GMPP before December.

elevated
09-04-12, 07:51 PM
Price?

OldRoadDawg
09-04-12, 08:07 PM
I will be looking at a GMPP before December.
I just spoke today with Black's Cadillac today about GMPP Major Guard extended warranty and the impending price increase on 10-1-2012. Read about here (http://www.gmoutlet.com/price_increase.html).

I like the prices, but the coverage starts the day of issuance, not when your factory warranty expires. I still have 10 months left and couldn't see carrying the GMPP as well. They don't know how much the price increase will be, so I'll just wait and see. Maybe trade the '09 on a coupe by then.

Also, I see you are in Florida. FYI:

3.) Florida ResidentsCANNOT purchase a GMPP from our dealership. Florida state law requires you to purchase a GMPP or any extended warranty if you reside in Florida at MSRP (not at lower and not higher price). The ONLY exception to this rule is if you have a home in another state we can sell you a discounted GMPP if you use your NON-Florida address (proof of residency is required – example; copy of electric / phone bill)

Additionally:

4.). Alaska, California, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Oregon and Washington State Residents CANNOT purchase a GMPP from our dealership “AT THIS TIME”. GM Protection Plan is doing a state by state analysis to update their contracts/paperwork to be able to sell over the internet in these states. This dealership does not have a time frame for GMPP’s correction for updated contracts / state specific paperwork but has been assured that GM Protection Plan is working on this issue. The ONLY exception to this rule is if you have a home in another state, we can sell you a discounted GMPP if you use your NON- Alaska, California, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Oregon or Washington address (proof of residency is required – example; copy of electric / phone bill / or real estate tax bill)

OldRoadDawg
09-04-12, 08:22 PM
Price?
Depends on such variables as year, desired number of years of coverage, what deductible etc.

My 2009 CTS-V is Class C6 (http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmpp_index.pdf)

Go to the charts (http://www.gmoutlet.com/emailserver/quote/mg/11mgc6.htm) and scroll down to the appropriate table for your desired coverage

Trapspeed
09-04-12, 10:55 PM
WTF is that crap? Now this pisses me off. Seems a little odd the state regulates where you buy a warranty. Typical bureaucratic bull$hit. I appreciate the info though. Back to the drawing board.

fee5fofum
09-05-12, 12:04 AM
If you live in Florida then try here :

fee5fofum
09-05-12, 12:05 AM
WTF is that crap? Now this pisses me off. Seems a little odd the state regulates where you buy a warranty. Typical bureaucratic bull$hit. I appreciate the info though. Back to the drawing board.

http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/

I just purchased a 6yr/100mi/"0"ded GMPP that starts from the day I purchased the plan and not from the "in-service date" , which is GREAT !

bsk997
09-05-12, 02:01 AM
Damn, I never heard CA can't purchase GMPP from Black. I was debating about extending my warranty but I guess not.

RogersV
09-05-12, 11:55 AM

http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/

I just purchased a 6yr/100mi/"0"ded GMPP that starts from the day I purchased the plan and not from the "in-service date" , which is GREAT !

What did it cost you? TIA

dqw1
09-05-12, 05:20 PM
I went ahead and purchased GMPP today. What neuronbob said made sense due to my plans to keep this until the V3 comes out.

Karch
09-05-12, 06:31 PM

Really? Look at medical (health) insurance. We can't buy it out of state because then the insurance companies would be subject to capitalism, aka free enterprise, then the rates may actually go down and more could afford it.

Then what, the Blue Cross Crooks of the world would make less profit, so they might be forced to lay off their lobbyists, and cut back on spending on our wonderful members of Congress, our Reps in particular.

Could you imagine, if they actually passed laws, that made sense for the people? Let alone pass laws that they themselves, or senior staff, wrote. Forgot that, I'd settle for them actually reading the laws that they vote on.

Please.

Sorry to all...just not too happy with the way things work. I actually have my insurance serviced by BS (Blue Shield, but BS is more appropriate) out of a state 2000 miles away, but I work for a large conglomerate.

Trapspeed
09-05-12, 10:07 PM
Agreed on all points and believe me...that's a whole other topic. We could spend days on that one. The whole picture is changing but that's a political discussion left off this board, for sure.

xmaciek82x
09-05-12, 11:01 PM
Are you guys really concerned owning the CTS-V without warranty?

I'm deciding against the extended warranty. One of the reason I purchased the CTS-V compared to the E-series, 5-series, XF, was the fact that the LSA motor and trans is pretty solid. Never seen any serious issues with the electronics like you usually see with imports. Should I reconsider my thought on getting extended warranty?

Trapspeed
09-06-12, 07:05 AM
Are you guys really concerned owning the CTS-V without warranty?

I'm deciding against the extended warranty. One of the reason I purchased the CTS-V compared to the E-series, 5-series, XF, was the fact that the LSA motor and trans is pretty solid. Never seen any serious issues with the electronics like you usually see with imports. Should I reconsider my thought on getting extended warranty?

Personally, I like the security of a warranty with a car that has parts this expensive. It's the "what-ifs" that concern me. I'm not that big of a risk taker. I know how solid the power trains are having been in LS-series engines before so that doesn't worry me too much. Shit does happen though. I just don't want it to be on my head. :)

dqw1
09-06-12, 10:13 AM
Agree with Trapspeed. Besides a creaking roof and interior, the car has been very solid. But, anything can happen and I don't want to be on the hook having to pay for an expensive repair and not having a little peace of mind with the warranty.