: I pulled the trigger yesterday but a little nervous

RJR88
09-04-12, 08:35 AM
I put a deposit down yesterday on a brand new 2012 Coupe. Black Diamond paint, polished wheels with the yellow calipers. My local dealer did not have it but found one that they are going to do a trade with. I am excited but a little nervous about reading all the little problems that people keep posting on this forum. I know people go to forums when they are having problems so hopefully I will not experience any of them. Anything I should look at before I sign the dotted line?

larry arizona
09-04-12, 09:49 AM
Take complaints with a grain of salt. MOST are ok with the minor problems the V's have. Good rule of thumb is throw out the biggest complaints and Highest praises and its somewhere in between.

alex310
09-04-12, 09:52 AM
Honestly, that is what warranty is for, and people on the forums are usually the people with problems posting (1 out of 1000s.) Go over to the BMW forums, you'll see hundreds of problem posts. I hear people who take their cars to the dealer twice in one year complain "Oh I am never buying another XXXXX again." All BS, even if I took my car in 10 times in one year, stuff happens with any brand name, be happy they fix it. I love the guys specially who mod their cars and think everything should be 100% perfect all the time. Just live life, stop thinking about the possible problems...

allinmyhead
09-04-12, 11:36 AM
All the problems? Everything I see is minor rattle related ... I feel like that's kinda the price I'm paying for the performance/cost ratio.

Sunroof rattle
Clicking wheels
Rocking recaros
Supercharger rattle

Did I miss anything?

I have all 4 and they're so minor it doesn't inhibit my enjoyment of the car; I have to go out of my way to nitpick (although to be fair, my recaros just barely move under hard acceleration to the point where it's almost imperceptible unless I'm really paying attention ... if it were a lot worse I'd be looking for a fix.)

RJR88
09-04-12, 11:43 AM
All the problems? Everything I see is minor rattle related ... I feel like that's kinda the price I'm paying for the performance/cost ratio.

Sunroof rattle
Clicking wheels
Rocking recaros
Supercharger rattle

Did I miss anything?

I have all 4 and they're so minor it doesn't inhibit my enjoyment of the car; I have to go out of my way to nitpick (although to be fair, my recaros just barely move under hard acceleration to the point where it's almost imperceptible unless I'm really paying attention ... if it were a lot worse I'd be looking for a fix.)
I did not get the Recaro seats. I am going to make sure I test drive it before I sign to make sure there are no rattles in it. As far as the wheel clicking I did read a little about that. Would they click when the car is brand new? Did your sunroof make noise from day one. Does it rattle when you go over a rough patch in the road or does it make noise all the time?

McGuffy
09-04-12, 11:49 AM
Between me and the wife, we've owned a Corvette, Jeep Wrangler, 3 Acuras, and 2 Lexuses over the years, and I can pretty much state as fact that no car/manufacturer is 100% trouble free. It's a machine, things will go wonky (that's a technical term) from time to time. Overall the V is my most favorite car I've ever owned. Luxury, obscene power, and a back seat. What else comes close for the price?

VTKE
09-04-12, 01:42 PM
I did not get the Recaro seats. I am going to make sure I test drive it before I sign to make sure there are no rattles in it. As far as the wheel clicking I did read a little about that. Would they click when the car is brand new? Did your sunroof make noise from day one. Does it rattle when you go over a rough patch in the road or does it make noise all the time?

rattles come later :) sunroof is getting worse by the mile and the dealer can't fix it...

RJR88
09-04-12, 02:44 PM
rattles come later :) sunroof is getting worse by the mile and the dealer can't fix it...
I will make sure I drive it before I take delivery to make sure the sunroof is quiet.

larry arizona
09-04-12, 03:16 PM
Funny, I was gassing up the V last week and a guy asked me about the V. He asked if my roof made noise with some concern on his face. I said no it is quiet and he said good because about 50% are good and 50% are a little noisy and that he works for the supplier that makes them. Guess I got lucky and got a good one.

Also, the car does not sound like a rattle trap over rough roads, its tight as a drum. I think most creaking complaints are when interior is hot and you go slowly over a speed bump or transition. Very minor.....

McGuffy
09-04-12, 03:39 PM
I don't mind the Recaro noises (there aren't many) - it's the persistent noises that bug me. People complain about the springiness of the Recaros, but I kinda like it, absorbs some bumps but doesn't take away road feel. No sunroof noises yet, knock on wood.

brian-nicola
09-04-12, 04:25 PM
Have the same car, 5,000miles and flawless. Wheels clicked but dealer fixed, you will LOVE the car

larry arizona
09-04-12, 04:49 PM
There is FAR too much whinning on this forum. It does get old..........:cookoo: I choose to filter and listen to the positives.... This car ROCKS!:thumbsup:

simgolfer
09-04-12, 05:41 PM
Don't worry about these minor creaks and rattles people are bringing up. My former German made cars (VW and BMW) creaked at least as much or in the case of the VW creaked way more than the Cadillac. And every car I have been in with a panoramic sunroof makes noises particularly if you take a curb or speed bump sideways. Has not been a leak issue and the sunlight the sunroof brings in is great. And I have the clicking wheels but it is barely noticeable unless I am really listening for it. I enjoy the V warts and all because it is overall a great car. Possibly the best car GM has made in the past 20+ years.

neuronbob
09-04-12, 05:59 PM
I love my V despite its little niggles, and you will too. Trying to talk myself out of buying another right now, in fact.

Trapspeed
09-04-12, 08:26 PM
I am excited but a little nervous about reading all the little problems that people keep posting on this

The operative word here is "little". That's really all they are. They're more like nuances than problems to me. It almost adds a little character to the car. My dad's old '87 Vette squeaked like a choking squirrel but I loved driving it! The V is exponentially better on all fronts. Squeaking, clicking and all.

larry arizona
09-04-12, 08:38 PM
Isnt the new M5 supposed to click on the front rotors???? Why is it such a big deal on the V.

MacBuster
09-04-12, 08:44 PM
Don't worry about these minor creaks and rattles people are bringing up. My former German made cars (VW and BMW) creaked at least as much or in the case of the VW creaked way more than the Cadillac. And every car I have been in with a panoramic sunroof makes noises particularly if you take a curb or speed bump sideways. Has not been a leak issue and the sunlight the sunroof brings in is great. And I have the clicking wheels but it is barely noticeable unless I am really listening for it. I enjoy the V warts and all because it is overall a great car. Possibly the best car GM has made in the past 20+ years.

I've owned numerous Cadillacs and BMWs. There is no doubt in my mind that BMWs (at least the 5 series and up), are built better than a Cadillac. Still, I am looking to "upgrade" my current 535 Wagon to a V wagon, despite knowing this. I can't speak for "lower" BMWs, but I think that 3-series are notably more budget-minded than the 5-series I've owned.

Interior build quality isn't really comparable. The panoramic roof in the BMW, and the whole interior has been solid and whisper quiet.

Gary Veeeee
09-04-12, 10:22 PM
You have probably read some of my posts about the clicking and some paint problems that I recently had. Even though I have had some problems I still think this car is awesome. My advice is to be on good terms with your dealer and the service department. I think for the price of the CTS V you're getting your money's worth in what this car offers. I was nervous at first but that has gone away I think it's just the fact the initial cost of the vehicle. Hell, this car was half of what my first house cost.

TexasCTS-V
09-04-12, 10:26 PM
My sunroof rattled, but the dealer was able to fix it. My Recaros and rotors don't rattle. If you do notice a slight rattle, a slight press with your right foot will cause you to stop noticing it. Enjoy!

simgolfer
09-05-12, 12:56 AM
I've owned numerous Cadillacs and BMWs. There is no doubt in my mind that BMWs (at least the 5 series and up), are built better than a Cadillac. Still, I am looking to "upgrade" my current 535 Wagon to a V wagon, despite knowing this. I can't speak for "lower" BMWs, but I think that 3-series are notably more budget-minded than the 5-series I've owned.

Interior build quality isn't really comparable. The panoramic roof in the BMW, and the whole interior has been solid and whisper quiet.

You are lucky. My old 535i had its own squeaks and rattles. Had to have the standard sized sunroof repaired by the dealer 3 times before it stopped leaking and creaking. Build quality may be a bit better in the Bimmer but the V looks much better IMHO.

MacBuster
09-05-12, 02:32 AM
You are lucky. My old 535i had its own squeaks and rattles. Had to have the standard sized sunroof repaired by the dealer 3 times before it stopped leaking and creaking. Build quality may be a bit better in the Bimmer but the V looks much better IMHO.

What year?

I would say it sounds somewhat unusual...you don't hear as many build quality complaints about the 5's over at the BMW forum. Now, the air suspension, the leaking sunroof, and the fuel pumps...that's another story.

VTKE
09-05-12, 11:16 AM
I will make sure I drive it before I take delivery to make sure the sunroof is quiet.

my rattle didn't start until about 1500 miles. neither did the rest of the squeaks and rattles to numerous to list. this being said, there are posts of the positive variety supporting build quality and rattle free enjoyment. wish i was was of them :) enjoy that power and use it wisely and often...

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-05-12, 01:01 PM
I put a deposit down yesterday on a brand new 2012 Coupe. Black Diamond paint, polished wheels with the yellow calipers. My local dealer did not have it but found one that they are going to do a trade with. I am excited but a little nervous about reading all the little problems that people keep posting on this forum. I know people go to forums when they are having problems so hopefully I will not experience any of them. Anything I should look at before I sign the dotted line?

RJR88, I'm available via email Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to ever check for warranty details, vehicle build information, etc. or investigate any concerns regarding your new coupe. I'm very pleased you'll soon be part of the Cadillac family, and I'm glad to see your thread has generated such an interesting discussion so far!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

dennych
09-05-12, 09:26 PM
I'm in the same boat, but mainly because I've never bought a vehicle so expensive. Always worried about any issues I might encounter (esp if I buy a used one). Very much interested in the V Wagon though

Torxila
09-08-12, 01:06 PM

Sunroof rattle
Clicking wheels
Rocking recaros
Supercharger rattle

Did I miss anything?

He's buying a coupe so the sunroof (as in Sedan/wagon) won't be an issue, it is tiny and only tilts open at the rear. You forgot the coupe carpet issue though.

cts-v-ette
09-08-12, 02:02 PM
What carpet issue?

simgolfer
09-08-12, 02:03 PM
What year?

I would say it sounds somewhat unusual...you don't hear as many build quality complaints about the 5's over at the BMW forum. Now, the air suspension, the leaking sunroof, and the fuel pumps...that's another story.

Had a 2008 535i manual trans. As I mentioned 3 visits to fix the sunroof, twice left on limp home mode and two high pressure fuel pump replacements, 5 of 6 injectors replaced, rattles along driver side B pillar and behind sunroof. Drove well when it wasn't spending time at dealership.

RGaret
09-08-12, 11:42 PM
Had a 2008 535i manual trans. As I mentioned 3 visits to fix the sunroof, twice left on limp home mode and two high pressure fuel pump replacements, 5 of 6 injectors replaced, rattles along driver side B pillar and behind sunroof. Drove well when it wasn't spending time at dealership.

I had a 2010 535i. 4 visits to the dealer to fix the wiper blades. Recalled twice. Before that, had a Lexus that was recalled twice and had a bunch of other problems. These are machines engineered and built by people. The real key is getting your problems resolved quickly and correctly. All I can say about my V is that when right foot makes contact with the floorboard, big smile every time.

SoCal_V
09-09-12, 03:09 AM
Are there better cars on the market? Of course yes.

The V strikes a balance between value & performance that's difficult to beat. What some fanboy members here refuse to admit or acknowledge occasionally is that VALUE is a relative term, and YES nicer and more expensive cars without some of the absurd problems our V's have are on the market.

If you're happy when you press the accelerator and apex a corner, that's important. If you accept that there likely WILL be some nagging problems with your car but you're willing to live with them to drive a ~600HP luxury vehicle, then sign away and don't look back.

If you're expecting this to be a flawless $70k vehicle with top-shelf dealer service, then turn and run in the other direction. Like most things it's a compromise. I'm happy with my compromise when I nail the throttle.

Gary Veeeee
09-09-12, 07:43 AM
Are there better cars on the market? Of course yes.

The V strikes a balance between value & performance that's difficult to beat. What some fanboy members here refuse to admit or acknowledge occasionally is that VALUE is a relative term, and YES nicer and more expensive cars without some of the absurd problems our V's have are on the market.

If you're happy when you press the accelerator and apex a corner, that's important. If you accept that there likely WILL be some nagging problems with your car but you're willing to live with them to drive a ~600HP luxury vehicle, then sign away and don't look back.

If you're expecting this to be a flawless $70k vehicle with top-shelf dealer service, then turn and run in the other direction. Like most things it's a compromise. I'm happy with my compromise when I nail the throttle.

I agree 100%, nice post, well-written!!!!

RapidRob
09-09-12, 06:32 PM
I had a 2010 535i. 4 visits to the dealer to fix the wiper blades. Recalled twice. Before that, had a Lexus that was recalled twice and had a bunch of other problems. These are machines engineered and built by people. The real key is getting your problems resolved quickly and correctly. All I can say about my V is that when right foot makes contact with the floorboard, big smile every time.

And that's it in a nutshell, IMO! Well said! Just about all cars have problems, but it takes a good dealer network to resolve issues, "quickly and correctly", to maintain good customer relations, and is where GM/Cadillac may have some problems ...

Rob

thebigjimsho
09-09-12, 09:33 PM

Same as my '09 V. Tomblike...

SoCal_V
09-10-12, 02:29 AM
And that's it in a nutshell, IMO! Well said! Just about all cars have problems, but it takes a good dealer network to resolve issues, "quickly and correctly", to maintain good customer relations, and is where GM/Cadillac may have some problems ...

Rob

GM's customer service is horrendous. The mechanics work on Suburbans and Silverado pickups all day, and then want to treat a $70K premium sports sedan with a sledgehammer. It has been this way at 5 of the 5 dealers I've worked with in the past when owning GM cars. Simply horrible.

As a single example among many, my local stealership wanted to DRILL and pry the wheels off with a crowbar when they lost my wheel lock key during a service visit. They also attempted to charge me for wheel removal...on a 2012 car with 3000 miles. Unacceptable, and sadly this is the norm for experiences w/GM dealerships. Poor training and even worse customer service.

I don't expect a plush red carpet rolled beneath my feet but I *do* expect a premium level of service when arriving in the GM service bay with a $70,000 vehicle than if I was driving in with a Chevy Malibu. I've purchased the best of the best product they offer...why not treat the customer accordingly?

My Recaros are rocking several inches in both directions. I don't even want to bother taking my car in, for fear of what the dealership service dept will do to my car.

Again, compromises.....

Karch
09-10-12, 04:03 AM
SoCal, I lost my wheel key once, and I went to the tire shop I've been buying from for years, and they popped all four off. They just slammed a socket over the lug and zipped it off, took maybe 7-10 minutes.

I asked the owner how much, and he said give the guy $5-10 for a tip and be on your way.

SoCal_V
09-11-12, 02:57 AM
SoCal, I lost my wheel key once, and I went to the tire shop I've been buying from for years, and they popped all four off. They just slammed a socket over the lug and zipped it off, took maybe 7-10 minutes.

I asked the owner how much, and he said give the guy $5-10 for a tip and be on your way.

And that's how they removed my wheels as well...after I (the customer) told the mechanics how to perform this without risking marring the wheels...on a $70,000 car. The incompetent moron mechanics thought it would be best to drill the lugs off and then pry the wheels off with a friggen crowbar. The cherry on top was my service advisor telling me it would "only cost 2hrs labor, or around $150" after they had lost the key with my 2-month car fully under warranty. How can someone be this stupid and be trusted to handle a car like the CTS-V?

I wish I had my reaction & what I said on film.

Gary Veeeee
09-12-12, 10:36 AM
And that's how they removed my wheels as well...after I (the customer) told the mechanics how to perform this without risking marring the wheels...on a $70,000 car. The incompetent moron mechanics thought it would be best to drill the lugs off and then pry the wheels off with a friggen crowbar. The cherry on top was my service advisor telling me it would "only cost 2hrs labor, or around $150" after they had lost the key with my 2-month car fully under warranty. How can someone be this stupid and be trusted to handle a car like the CTS-V?

I wish I had my reaction & what I said on film.

Yeah I hear you, I've had my V for about a month now and have had it back to the dealer a few times. I'm starting to think that their service department needs some customer service training and update the texts on V service. I don't know, maybe because our cars are rare and they don't sell enough, but when I bring in it in they all stand around and look like look at it like they have never seen one before. The problem is this is the only Cadillac dealership in my area the next one is 75 miles away. I also well ,I think everyone does ,have all maintenance covered on this for four years. I wonder if I could bring this to a Chevy dealership or a GMAC dealer I'll have to give them a call, they are all GM right?

Trapspeed
09-12-12, 02:45 PM
A local Chevy dealer does mine. So far, no issues.