: Leaving On Vac Thur.9/6. Need Side Trip Idea In Michigan

talismandave
09-04-12, 02:05 AM
We are making our yearly pilgrimage to Ludington MI to visit relatives. Most of the time we spend visiting and eating with family because we only see them once a year, and never know when it will be the last visit. (My dads sisters are 95 and 93 both live in their own homes and one still drives! Well!:lol:)
We do take one day to take a side trip, and give them a break from entertaining. In past years, to give you an idea of what interests us, we have hit the Sloan Museum/Buick Museum in Flint, Gerald Ford Museum in Grand Rapids, Sleeping Bear Dune Park Beyond Traverse City, the S.S. Milwaukee Ship and Museum in Manistee, and Meijer Gardens in Grand Rapids. All were enjoyed and some surprisingly so. Miejer Gardens impressed us all, and I am not sure why we went in the first place, afterwards we were all saying how surprised we were we enjoyed it!
I had been thinking about Gilmore Museum and we were all set to go there, but with two in their 80s and one of them in a wheelchair I am having second thought now.
Indoor, air conditioned, and accessible are best. Gilmore looks like a lot of time outside, and a lot of walking for my dad 83 and heart and respiratory issues. I also would want to go when the Cadillac Museum Building is built so why not wait.:noidea:
So I turn to my Cadillac brothers and sisters, Michigan residents and world travelers....any ideas for me. I like to keep the mileage down since I am doing it all alone and am still in regenerative mode from my 11 month treatment just ended. We did Flint last year and it was about our limit and I was in better health then.

Any ideas?

Oh, my mom is blind and I have to narrate the activities to her so the nature/beauty stuff like the Dunes are hard for her to enjoy. Museums where I can read info to her are much more fun for her.

rodnok01
09-04-12, 10:30 AM
Henry Ford/deerfield village pop into my mind.
check this site out:
http://www.michigan.org/Things-to-Do/Attractions/Museums/Default.aspx

rodnok01
09-04-12, 10:31 AM
dup post...stupid computers

thebigjimsho
09-04-12, 11:05 AM
Do Gilmore NOW!!! Seriously, if you're in your 80s and need a wheelchair, still do it. It is a phenomenal place I went to 3 times while visiting Kalamazoo...

thebigjimsho
09-04-12, 11:07 AM
If not, I did a day trip along the western coast up to the Mackinac Bridge.

If I could have a vacation home, I'd want to move to Good Hart...

talismandave
09-04-12, 12:44 PM
Thanks, We did Henry Ford/F150 plant tour several years ago and it is awesome! Will go again someday but more than a daytrip from Ludington, (At least for the three of us!:lol:)

Gilmore is still on the radar. If it were just me I would do it in a second, however, blind mom wouldn't enjoy much, and dad has a hard time walking to the back of Target/Walmart?etc. He would love the the cars, but I'm afraid he wouldn't make it. I can only push one wheelchair so he is on his own.

After checking out the Michigan website, (thank you) I found a lot in two cities that seem to be interesting and accessible.

Lansing....R.E.Olds Museum, Michigan Historical Museum, and Michigan Princess Paddleboat lunch cruise.

Muskegon....USS Silversides Museum, LST 393 Museum, S.S. Milwaukee Museum, and Port City Princess Cruise.

Anyone have any experience with any of these places, or other things in either city?

I would enjoy the Mackinac/coast drive, but my folks lived in northern WI and drove to Ludington a couple times a year, to them it is a "commute". Plus I would want that drive to be in my convertible, not a Honda van!

EChas3
09-04-12, 11:10 PM
Battle Creek Area - Binder Zoo - Feed the Giraffes!

It's a great African Safari simulation. Lot's o' laughs!

77CDV
09-04-12, 11:20 PM
Have a great vacation, Dave! :)

talismandave
09-05-12, 02:29 AM
Chas, that came up on a couple of my searches, I will have to go back and check it out. Sort of spoiled on zoos here with the free one Vilas here and the great Milwaukee Zoo. Didn't realize that was a simulation type, might be cool!

Craig, thanks I think I will! It is always great to spend time with my folks. We have been at it since I was born. Dad drove for the state as an auditor when I was born, mom and I would often travel with him. My first crib was the compartment behind the rear seat of a 1960 VW! They tell me the humming little 4 cyl would put me right out!