: Dumb tire sizing question

team_car
09-03-12, 08:02 PM
I need to put All Weather tires on a '12 V-Wagon. I get the upside/downside of all-weathers but they are the best option for me for now. I understand what the tire size numbers mean. What I don't understand is what's possible and what's not. None of the all-weather tires come in stock sizes. So which sizes do I use? I'm OK with the Bridgestone Potenza, Conti DWS or any other recommendation. I just want to be sure I get a size combo that works. Car is my daily driver all year. I'm in DC so I get mostly dry; frequent rain; occasional snow/ice. But I need to be able to drive the car in all conditions except heavy snow.

Thanks.

baabootoo
09-03-12, 09:19 PM
If you'll use the stock wheels, smaller will be ok; 245/40 front and 275/35 rear in DWSs. They grip excellent in the deepest of snow. A lot of people, me included, got some 18" wheels a use for winter only. I'm running the DWSs in 245/45x18 all around, and have no problems in the least. Then, I can rotate all the time if I wish. They have barely worn after two winters. There are many solutions to this. I use Tire Racks surveys and go from there.

embassured
09-03-12, 10:52 PM
Team,
I've done exactly what you're contemplating. I live in St. Louis, which means we don't get enough snow for dedicated snow tires and since the temp is sub 50 degrees 6 months out of year, I don't like running summer performance tires. The all-season fits the bill for me and it's a tire that is equal compromise to the equally compromising weather we receive.

I'm running Continental DWS f: 245/45/19 and r: 275/40/19. The width on both tires is less than a 1/3rd of an INCH from stock and the taller sidewall does a nice job of filling the wheel well a little better. If I could find a wider all-season option that keeps the same sidewall height of the 275/40 (I think it's 26.9"), I would go that route. That said, I couldn't find a tire that had appropriately matching front and rears - hence the 245/45 and 275/40 combo.

thebigjimsho
09-04-12, 12:02 AM
Team,
I've done exactly what you're contemplating. I live in St. Louis, which means we don't get enough snow for dedicated snow tires and since the temp is sub 50 degrees 6 months out of year, I don't like running summer performance tires. The all-season fits the bill for me and it's a tire that is equal compromise to the equally compromising weather we receive.

I'm running Continental DWS f: 245/45/19 and r: 275/40/19. The width on both tires is less than a 1/3rd of an INCH from stock and the taller sidewall does a nice job of filling the wheel well a little better. If I could find a wider all-season option that keeps the same sidewall height of the 275/40 (I think it's 26.9"), I would go that route. That said, I couldn't find a tire that had appropriately matching front and rears - hence the 245/45 and 275/40 combo.

Those were the sizes I would've done if I decided to do winter tires...

team_car
09-04-12, 07:54 AM
Thanks. I will go with the DWS f: 245/45/19 and r: 275/40/19.

blacaddy
09-04-12, 09:09 AM
team_car...FYI there was a very informative TIRE article in Car and Driver within the last couple months...good info on what all the letters and numbers mean on the tire sidewall as well as good general information>>>>several months previous to the TIRE article Car and Driver also did a comparo of major brand tires which you may wish to read.....

thebigjimsho
09-04-12, 10:35 AM
I always recommend reading up on Tire Rack for any tire info...

Trionalaw
09-04-12, 12:31 PM
I believe the Goodyear F1 asymmetric all seasons will be out soon. They come in the stock sizes for my 2012 CTS V coupe.I think TireRack has the fronts in stock and the rears should be in shortly. Prices: $254/$292.

From the reviews I've read, this looks like an excellent all season tire. I'm hoping to get them on before October 7, my last driving school.

Jim

Trionalaw
09-04-12, 12:31 PM
I believe the Goodyear F1 asymmetric all seasons will be out soon. They come in the stock sizes for my 2012 CTS V coupe.I think TireRack has the fronts in stock and the rears should be in shortly. Prices: $254/$292.

From the reviews I've read, this looks like an excellent all season tire. I'm hoping to get them on before October 7, my last driving school.

Jim

thebigjimsho
09-05-12, 09:56 AM
Keep us updated...