: t.v. cleaner

creeker
09-02-12, 07:03 PM
I just bought a 50" led t.v., there are some smudges (hand prints) on the screen,whats a safe household cleaner to use?.

vincentm
09-02-12, 07:29 PM
Dont use any house cleaners, theres a product from kensington thats just LCD/LED displays

ShapeShifter
09-02-12, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't use any regular household product on my HDTV, Computer Screen or Audio Components. I have used Windex Electronics Aerosol Can and Wipes, and also use a product called ScreenDr LCD/Plasma Screen Cleaner. There may be other good safe products out there....but here's the thing, I've never used them.

MrHolland
09-02-12, 08:31 PM
I use Scotch brite pads and ammonia on mine......... Just joking!!!!" As others have said, there are specific products for these applications. I would only use those specific products and nothing else.

drewsdeville
09-03-12, 12:41 AM
A damp rag should be good enough. No need for solvents.

cadi509
09-03-12, 02:42 AM
A SOFT Microfiber and mist seems to work good for me

talismandave
09-03-12, 03:00 AM
A SOFT Microfiber and mist seems to work good for me
That's what my owners manual recommends.

The-Dullahan
09-03-12, 05:06 AM
Lacquer thinner and a belt sander.

Playdrv4me
09-03-12, 05:20 AM
If your Microfiber cloth is good enough, you don't need ANY liquid at all. I have some for jewelry and they do wonders on TVs and laptop screens.

brandondeleo
09-03-12, 05:27 AM
BLEACH AND A PUMICE STONE

Problem solved.

ShapeShifter
09-03-12, 12:05 PM
We have to recognize that most of the airborne dust particles in our homes contain various kinds of contaminates. Not only do we breath in these particles, they also attach themselves to our furnishings. The best defense is a good air filter or better yet, an air cleaner on the HVAC System. Ionizers work great too.

My thoughts are, it's best to use a product that lifts these dust particles from surfaces and if it has the ability to neutralize contaminates, then all the better.

I don't like the idea of just wiping and spreading these contaminates around on surfaces within a home, especially those that come in contact with hands, which also make contact with food and various parts of our facial areas... then to nasal and respiratory system.

I'm all in for a not too harsh product that cleans and minimizes the amount of contaminates left on household surfaces. Heck, I use Clorox Anywhere on my key fobs, remote controls, car alarm remote, keyboards and home security key pads. It's said, "an ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure".:)

cadi509
09-03-12, 12:19 PM
What's is it like 70% of dust is dead skin that has fallen of us?

creeker
09-03-12, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions.

dkozloski
09-03-12, 03:38 PM
Eat salted peanuts and then use the touch screen just like everybody else does.

orconn
09-03-12, 04:05 PM
Not everyone rubs it on their bare butt, Koz!

Night Wolf
09-03-12, 04:59 PM
I just bought a 50" led t.v., there are some smudges (hand prints) on the screen,whats a safe household cleaner to use?.

You didn't buy an LED TV, you bought an LCD TV. LED is the type of light used to brighten the screen. Just as there's no dedicated section for "Florescent TV".

Agreed, no household cleaner. Get the proper cleaner, walmart and many grocery stores have them.

creeker
09-03-12, 11:39 PM
You didn't buy an LED TV, you bought an LCD TV. LED is the type of light used to brighten the screen. Just as there's no dedicated section for "Florescent TV".

Agreed, no household cleaner. Get the proper cleaner, walmart and many grocery stores have them.

It says l.e.d. on the box and on the invoice,I guess you feel you know something that I dont.

Night Wolf
09-04-12, 12:40 AM
It says l.e.d. on the box and on the invoice,I guess you feel you know something that I dont.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Qthg9Xs0YYE/TYKDxH-zm5I/AAAAAAAAAGU/DmDlUuMUzTs/Ttornado%2BFuel%2BSaver%2Bbx.jpg

brandondeleo
09-04-12, 04:22 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Qthg9Xs0YYE/TYKDxH-zm5I/AAAAAAAAAGU/DmDlUuMUzTs/Ttornado%2BFuel%2BSaver%2Bbx.jpg
:histeric:

Jesda
09-04-12, 04:24 AM
Endust promises to repel dust. I've only used it on CRTs which tend to be dirt magnets. I just wipe LCDs with a soft damp cloth.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GYyW9s1P_ak/TtwtQMGEFkI/AAAAAAAABmw/vtJ35ztocv8/s400/Endust.jpg

Jesda
09-04-12, 04:34 AM

It's an LED-backlit LCD. With LED you don't have to deal with brightness that declines over time or unevenness as you do with more common CCFL-backlit LCDs. Then there's backlit vs edgelit.

The only time the distinction matters is with the LED color displays at a stadium, which function differently:
http://www.big-tv.co.uk/LED_explained.htm

Anyway, none of this is important. We know what you're talking about.

Playdrv4me
09-04-12, 08:55 AM
"LED TV" is a misnomer perpetuated by the television industry to create a sensational new product where there is none since the "LCD" technology that actually produces the picture is absolutely archaic by now. That said, they are better in many ways than their fluorescent counterparts, and I consider the terms interchangeable. Not sure what all the fuss is about when someone calls it an LED TV.

As for the guy who's worried about germs on his TV screen, I guess you can go to Howard Hughes levels of sanitization on anything. I really just want the fingerprints off, and microfiber cloths handle that fine. If they're REALLY bad I might spritz a little water on.

brandondeleo
09-04-12, 08:59 AM
BUT IT'S LED!!

Super schfancy.

ShapeShifter
09-04-12, 02:06 PM
As for the guy who's worried about germs on his TV screen, I guess you can go to Howard Hughes levels of sanitization on anything. I really just want the fingerprints off, and microfiber cloths handle that fine. If they're REALLY bad I might spritz a little water on.
Thankfully, I haven’t progressed to the extreme level of germophobia as Howard Hughes was reported to have….

But, like many who suffer from a compromised immune system due to an autoimmune disease, we do our damnedest to avoid contact with bacteria, viruses and contaminates that might potentially cause us a severe flare-up, we even have to deal with the fact that some drugs can trigger an immune attack. I don’t or won’t try to live my life in a bubble, but my short circuiting immune system’s reaction is ever present in my mind….and when someone near me sneezes or coughs….yes, it gives me the willies! So I tend get a quite vocal regarding the avoidance of viruses, germs, bacteria and other contaminates. Those who don’t have to deal with this kind of affliction are truly blessed. I apologize for going a bit over the top earlier.

creeker
09-04-12, 02:52 PM
All I wanted to find out was what kind of cleaner to use for the screen, thanks for the positive answers.

CadillacLuke24
09-04-12, 03:34 PM
Welcome to Cadillac Forums. Topics here veer off course quicker than an Indian who's had a few too many at the local bar :D

Get the special tv cleaner, a good microfiber cloth, and you're set.

Night Wolf
09-04-12, 08:28 PM
All I wanted to find out was what kind of cleaner to use for the screen, thanks for the positive answers.

You're welcome. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+clean+TV)

Jesda
09-04-12, 10:07 PM

Since water is your most cost-effective option, you can set aside that couple of bucks saved for a gallon of gas. :)

EChas3
09-04-12, 10:58 PM
My Samsung came with a cloth for dusting the screen. Once, I needed to add a little distilled water to it. I recommend the least means necessary to remove contaminants.

Jesda
09-04-12, 11:45 PM
Sometimes I miss the zapping sound a CRT makes when you turn it off and on.

Aron9000
09-05-12, 10:37 PM
Yeah a good microfiber towel is all you need, maybe moisten it a little if it isn't getting the fingerprints off. As for cleaning your microfiber towels, I always put the heavily soiled ones in the washing machine on a seperate load from the lightly soiled ones. Just a little bit of detergent, cold water, then low setting on the dryer with no bounce sheet or fabric softner.

The heavily soiled ones, even once clean, never see the paint of the car again, they're used for cleaning/drying wheels and other grimey jobs.