Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering wheel / gas pedal shaking WITHOUT brakes applied

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Byrdman 
#1 ·
2006 DTS (base model - no upgrades) 75K miles

Hi all - bare with me as I've been a lurker for a while since I bought my DTS in December of 2010. I recently began having issues with my brakes... started with the rear - caliper was seized onto the rotor. Got that partially fixed several months ago, but didn't replace the rotor because I've been unemployed for a while now (6 figures to low 5 figures puts a new perspective on things). The front brakes, and back rotors continued to deteriorate and it developed a shake at all speeds that increased with braking.

..fast forward to now... replaced the rotors and pads all around and the shaking is still there - although the weird part is that when I am at high speeds and apply the brake it actually STOPS the shaking (I feel it throughout the car, but most violent in the steering wheel and gas pedal). All speeds actually stop the shaking with the brakes applied until I'm within 50 feet of where I want to stop than I can hear the "clunk" "clunk."

It feels and sounds like it is coming from the front passenger wheel - I thought since I replaced the rotors/pads that it would help, but didn't. My next move is to get a front end alignment, but have a suspicion that it won't rectify the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Solutions? Thoughts?

..I've done alot of searching, but can only find info on shaking during braking. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Save you money... an alignment isn't going to help that... at least not yet.
I would jack the front end up and be looking for something like a loose/worn tie rod end, maybe the strut bearing, maybe something loose around the steering rack...
It could also be a tire severely out of balance or a bent wheel.

Obviously, what you are experiencing is not normal.

Texas Jim

#3 ·
I'm having a problem with my dts to where I get a vibration when hitting bumps in the gas pedal and also my steering is slightly tilted to the left when driving straight. I have replaced everything even the steering rack and steering intermediate shaft.

The only option I have left is the steering knuckles. You can look into the steering knuckles to see if that might be the problem. I dont know if you bought the car pre owned, if so maybe someone hit a curb in it or it was in a wreck and caused damage to the knuckle.

#5 ·
I'm having a problem with my dts to where I get a vibration when hitting bumps in the gas pedal and also my steering is slightly tilted to the left when driving straight. I have replaced everything even the steering rack and steering intermediate shaft.

The only option I have left is the steering knuckles. You can look into the steering knuckles to see if that might be the problem. I dont know if you bought the car pre owned, if so maybe someone hit a curb in it or it was in a wreck and caused damage to the knuckle.
Good idea to check dates on threads. You can also hover your cursor over a member's avatar and see when they last logged on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.