: STS Northstar V8 Engine warning light and clattering noise

rwbenson
09-01-12, 11:09 PM
I have a 2005 STS Northstar V8 with 135,000 miles. I have not had any problems and I have done regular maintenance. Today the engine warning light (outline of engine) came on (in the dash) and shortly after, I started experiencing a clattering noise coming from the engine. It sounds like a diesel, or valves clattering. It does not seem to occur below 2,000 rpm or above 4,000 rpms. I checked the oil and it is OK. I have read about timing chain issues. Has anyone had a similar problem? Also, am I going to hurt the engine if I drive it to the dealer?

DarkMingBlueSTS
09-02-12, 12:11 AM
Idk what your problem is but it does kinda sound like it could be a timing chain...but if I drove the car at all I would definitely not be putting the motor over 4,000 rpms...

V-swagon
09-02-12, 12:27 AM
Sounds like the timing chain tensioner might have failed. I had an issue with mine in about 2000 miles after I rebuilt it. I had the tensioner fail and jumped time, bent 2 valves, fixed it with a new one, and it failed. So I put a stock tensioner back on it and I have had no problems since. Good luck.

curtc
09-02-12, 01:03 AM
So the N*'s blow timing chains too? What is it with GM and timing chains?

dkozloski
09-02-12, 01:48 PM
Timing chain problems in North* engines are very rare, in fact, statistically insignificant unless it's yours that sh!t the bed.

V-swagon
09-02-12, 09:00 PM
My chain tensioner failed because I installed Cloyes timing chains, tensioner, and guides. When I replaced the second failed tensioner with the stock tensioner, I've had no problems with it. That has been over 10 k miles since.

EChas3
09-02-12, 11:53 PM
The V6 timing chain issue struck low-mileage engines circa 2006-2008. The V8's don't produce many reports of such troubles. This post was about an engine with a lot of miles.

curtc
09-03-12, 11:53 AM
135k is not a lot of miles...Sold my 2001 STS with 233k, now that's a lot of miles...I'd be furious if my timing chain went at 135k.

turnne
09-04-12, 08:35 AM
135k is not a lot of miles...Sold my 2001 STS with 233k, now that's a lot of miles...I'd be furious if my timing chain went at 135k.

I was thinking the same thing...in today's world 135K on an engine is nothing..unless its been beat to hell..no oil changes..etc..etc

Most any manufacturers engines...esp the V8's will go well over( and there are many documented cases) 200K and still be very strong

Warren

EChas3
09-04-12, 08:37 PM
There's no pattern of reports of this issue and 135k is beyond almost all (if not all) manufacturer-backed extended warranties. The member reports the sudden onset of noise and the engine warning light.

I'm not saying we should all expect this. But I don't find it surprising that such failures do happen.

Everything breaks sometime. Shut it down right away and have it flat-bedded to an expert. Good luck.

turnne
09-05-12, 09:02 PM
There's no pattern of reports of this issue and 135k is beyond almost all (if not all) manufacturer-backed extended warranties. The member reports the sudden onset of noise and the engine warning light.

I'm not saying we should all expect this. But I don't find it surprising that such failures do happen.

Everything breaks sometime. Shut it down right away and have it flat-bedded to an expert. Good luck.

so you are saying that its not a surprise that there are engine issues at this mileage

I find that very much the exception..regardless of when the factory warranty ran out...in regard to other luxury cars

135K is nothing these days

If anything like his situation became a factor in any numbers... the resale value of these cars would fall even faster than it already does

think about the situation with the older Northstar cars and the HG issues

It was a known entity and just another coffin nail in the rapid falling value of the car

Heck...it probably spilled over in the public perception of this body style ...hence the poor resale

Warren

EChas3
09-05-12, 09:21 PM
No, I'm saying things break. This case isn't a common ocurrance, but a spendy repair is. A lot of of comparable models encounter issues at least as expensive.

An extended warranty is insurance. If you're risk-averse, protect yourself.

turnne
09-06-12, 09:58 PM
A lot of of comparable models encounter issues at least as expensive.

An extended warranty is insurance.

really...and what is the value of those cars compared to the STS?

Thats seems to be a large part of the litmus test if people get cars fixed......and when its time to call it quits

Warren