: Datsun 240Z vs Scion FR-S

Jesda
08-30-12, 09:59 PM
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1210_respect_your_elders_1971_datson_240z_vs_2013_ scion_fr_s/

Great article in this month's Automobile Magazine by Dave Zenlea. They take a mint 240Z and a new Scion FRS down to Tennessee and carve along some winding back roads. They come back with great respect for both cars -- the Datsun for its ahead-of-its-time purity and performance and the Scion for its convergence of genuine, sporty goodness with modern conveniences.

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/39176690+w750+st0/1971-Datsun-240Z-and-2013-Scion-FR-S-parked.jpg

[And during the trip from Michigan to Tennessee, they fire up some Carly Rae Jepsen.]

ryannel2003
08-30-12, 10:22 PM
I love the new Toyota/Subaru twins. They look great and are the answer to today's heavy, technology overladen cars.

thebigjimsho
08-31-12, 01:32 AM
The engine needs work. It's uninspiring and has a flat power delivery. It is quick enough, but it won't make you enjoy running through the upper rev ranges. It needs a peakier plant or a turbo, and soon!

thebigjimsho
08-31-12, 01:32 AM
That being said, everything else I love. Get the Subaru if you're a bigger dude...

Playdrv4me
08-31-12, 02:51 AM
I've said it once and I'll say it again... This is the only car in ten years that I'd remotely consider purchasing new. Once they throw the turbo on Subie version, all bets are off, that thing will be an absolute hit.

truckinman
08-31-12, 11:34 AM
That's the only scion I've ever WANTED to own. When they first came out tho I thought it was just a new version of the Genesis Coupe.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-31-12, 12:07 PM
The Z car, much like the Corvette, carries a long and storied heritage and interesting history. Most Z enthusiasts would consider it "Japan's Corvette". I like every generation of the Z, my favorites being the 90-96 300ZX and I always thought the late 280Z turbos were a great looking car as well...

truckinman
08-31-12, 12:40 PM
The Z car, much like the Corvette, carries a long and storied heritage and interesting history. Most Z enthusiasts would consider it "Japan's Corvette". I like every generation of the Z, my favorites being the 90-96 300ZX and I always thought the late 280Z turbos were a great looking car as well...

I agree. I'd much rather have a 90's Z than either the 350 or 370. I love the lines more. I love the interior a lot more. Something about the 90's sport coups like that. I love the interiors. Everything looks so much more sleek and original. From the z to the Acura NSX.

EcSTSatic
08-31-12, 02:13 PM
I loved my 280Z. It's too bad the Z's were rust buckets. In fact all Datsuns were real bad about rusting right in front of you. I think they became Nissan to get away from the stigma.

cadillac kevin
08-31-12, 02:28 PM
I loved my 280Z. It's too bad the Z's were rust buckets. In fact all Datsuns were real bad about rusting right in front of you. I think they became Nissan to get away from the stigma.

Theres one sitting at a friends property (car came with the place). Its a late 70s/early 80s zx thats been sitting for about 20 years. The entire car is rusted out, and every time it was painted (3 times), it was bondo-ed. The last time they painted it, they skimmed the entire bottom 2/3s of the car in thick bondo (I realized this because I bumped it and a massive section of bondo fell off, revealing nothing behind it). The only intact piece of the car metal wise is the rear louvered window cover and the bumpers. The seats are pretty nice though (but they're not even fully attached to the floor anymore).

thebigjimsho
09-01-12, 08:10 PM
I once had a late night job coming back from the Cape. It was 2AM and I was making my way through Boston. I was on I-93 and they had construction. I was in the fast lane doing 80. I saw a sweet 280Z in the slow lane. He saw me and wanted to race.

He stayed in the slow lane but floored it. However, this lane became an exit lane. He realized this too late and swerved to miss the divider. He slid sideways and got t-boned by it. Totaled his beautiful Z. Ended up he was drunk with a dozen empty beer cans inside...

orconn
09-01-12, 08:46 PM
The early Datsun 240Z's were very honest sports cars offering genuine European GT performace alnog with large amount of reliability. Wher the mid sixties Datsun 1600 (Fairlady) gave British sports car performance in a more refined and dependable package, the 240Z brought style and performance unknown before in its' price range.

My very good friend Frank Monise laid the groundwork for Datsun by winning class wins for the 1600 while driving or Pete Brock at BRE racing in SCCA and a championship for the marque. This was followed up with John Morton's wins in the 1600 Coupe and the 240Z. Frank continued to use a DOHC Nissan 1600 engine in his champioship B Sports Racing Lola for amny years into the seventies.

I really like the first iteration of the 240Z, but lost interest in these cars as they got bigger, heavier and far less agile.

Here are some photos from the late sixties early seventies when BRE and Datsun were THE winning combination in SCCA sports car racing. I came to know Frank Monise after my return from Vietnam in early 1969. IT developed into a great friendship. Frank and his son Frank Jr. maintained my Lamborghini, and my Jaguar XJ's over the next 25 five years. During the late early seventies I used to spend my 30 day vacation home form overseas hangoing out and going to the races with Frank and Frankie. I learned a lot about taking care of my own cars, racing in general and it was in this way I got to meet and get to know some of the, now, great names of American racing (Richie Ginther, Phil Hill, Tony September and many others). Frank passed away about five years ago in his eighties, he had raced until well into his seventies. To many Frank was a gruff, hard driving SOB, but I have to say I considered him one of my most cherished lifetime friends!

Pete Brock and Frank Monise with the Datsun 1600 that started the Datsun victories in SCCA

Frank and Steve Mc Queen talking before a race at Laguna Seca

Frank and Brock with prototype 1600 as it's being built at BRE

Frank's Lotus 23 in which he beat Jim Clark at Laguna Seca

Frank's last race car, a Lola, in the 1980's

The "Z" car driven by John Morton to win a third Champioship for Datsun

STS_Seville_Hunter
09-05-12, 07:56 PM
Test drove a FRS, not impressed especially costing 28K...

Aron9000
09-05-12, 10:21 PM
The engine needs work. It's uninspiring and has a flat power delivery. It is quick enough, but it won't make you enjoy running through the upper rev ranges. It needs a peakier plant or a turbo, and soon!

How does it sound?? A Subie flat four with the right exhaust sounds great, very unique engine note that doesn't really sound like anything else out there.

How would you rank it against the 4 banger in a Miata??? Not a lot of power, but they're fun to rev and sound great.

thebigjimsho
09-05-12, 11:00 PM
It sounds pretty good but it's a bit subdued. If you thrash the boxer it'll get the BRZ to move, but the Miata is more fun to get there...

r1concepts
09-06-12, 01:36 PM
The FR-S/BRZ are nice but I wouldn't pay 26k+ for it plus the interior for both are horrible. I'd rather buy a WRX for the price in my opinion.

Jesda
09-06-12, 01:52 PM
Average transaction price for the Scion is 25k. For the Subaru, 29k.

Scion owners apparently don't mind the hideously dated factory radio or Toyota's goofy exterior styling tweaks. FRS has a bit less understeer though.

CadillacLuke24
09-06-12, 02:28 PM
I'd take that nearly 30k and find me a great used V1 :sneaky:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WE-FINANCE-2006-CADILLAC-CTS-V-6-SPEED-HEATED-SEATS-ROOF-NAV-XENON-BOSE-XM-/350589754058?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item51a0c71aca

Case in point.

orconn
09-06-12, 04:24 PM
^^^ Problem is a "great" V1 is likely to have had the daylights driven out of it and would now be out of warranty. Stick with a Miata that is twice the fun and cheap to fix!

cadillac kevin
09-06-12, 04:32 PM
^^^ Problem is a "great" V1 is likely to have had the daylights driven out of it and would now be out of warranty. Stick with a Miata that is twice the fun and cheap to fix!

I want a Miata with a V8

CadillacLuke24
09-06-12, 05:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-EvqjI1c0

Me too :D

1percenter
09-06-12, 07:24 PM
datsun please!

thebigjimsho
09-06-12, 07:39 PM
The FR-S/BRZ are nice but I wouldn't pay 26k+ for it plus the interior for both are horrible. I'd rather buy a WRX for the price in my opinion.

While I agree and may actually do that myself, there is no denying the mission statement of the BRZ and its importance in today's market...

Aron9000
09-07-12, 05:10 AM
I want a Miata with a V8

YES, YES, AND YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can buy about 4 auto-x/track years worth of tires/brakes/repairs for a v8 Miata as to what it would cost you for a new Scion/Subie.

brandondeleo
09-10-12, 04:02 AM
I ran into a Datsun with an LT1 transplanted into it at an autocross event a few months ago. It was pretty freaking cool.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-10-12, 08:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-EvqjI1c0

Me too :D

Whoa! Little dog, big bark!

CadillacLuke24
09-10-12, 03:37 PM
I LOVE the sound of a throaty, burbly V8! That is how ALL V8s should sound at idle :D