Cadillac Owners Forum banner

30MPH roll racing a 6M

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Club Malibu 
#1 ·
For 30MPH roll racing do you prefer starting in 1st gear or second? In 1st its still alot of throttle control to not roast the tires or get TC heavily holdn you back.
Plus 30MPH in 1st is 4000 rpm so shift point comes fast.

I have tried 30MPH roll in 2nd and it seems to be mildly spinning the tires on the verge of breaking loose.

So what is better for racing?

#5 ·
Learning to use a deft right foot will be very beneficial for you long-term. I have never driven one of my cars in a racing environment with TC engaged... and my Vette is 3150lbs and puts out 660+rwhp/625+rwtq. I just short-shift 1st gear, but in all honestly 2nd and into 3rd still necessitates part-throttle modulation.

Here's how I think of it (may be oversimplifying it). Even with you mods, chances of getting a better 0-60 time than 3.6-3.7 are slim. Whether it is from a dig or a roll, the advantage your mods give you when you're on street tires is on the top-end. Top of 2nd, and deep into 3rd and beyond. Avoid the temptation to just mat the throttle. All you have to do is stay even with the opponent until you have traction, and then its over. And unless the guy next to you is running a race-oriented tire on the street, he's going to have to the same issues.

Anyway... leave TC off. I understand the tires spin like crazy under WOT... you just have to find the balance like Trapspeed said, and be satisfied with 3/4 throttle (or whatever) until you get traction. it will be the quickest way around the course/drag strip.

#9 ·
I'd say first, but surface conditions could dictate where you start, as well as outside temp. My Z06 was hellish to control in first when it was cool and tires were cold(plus runflats blow). A little heat in tires and surface, and it hooked up like Snookie in a meat market.

#12 ·
G,

I am in Oxford about 25-30 miles from you. I plan to eventually get a set of MT DR once I find a second set of sedan rears rims. I was out this morning again and I am getting comfortable with 1st from a 30MPH role. Was about 85 out when I tried it and it hooked decent but controlled it enough to not get into TC. no lift shift into 2nd was strong and tires stuck shift into 3rd was great and then was pushing it for the POPO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.