: competition mode stablitrak and no nannies

Trionalaw
08-30-12, 04:43 PM
I am certain I read on this forum the answer to my question with regard to how to turn off all the computer nannies. I have searched as best I can without any luck. Also, with the nannies off, will the steering have the same weight that it does in competition mode? I really like the feel of the steering with it.

As always, thanks so much.

Jim

larry arizona
08-30-12, 04:55 PM
hit TC button 2 times then hold TC button for 5-10 seconds. I am pretty sure thats what turns it all off.

garfin
08-30-12, 05:01 PM
I am certain I read on this forum the answer to my question with regard to how to turn off all the computer nannies. I have searched as best I can without any luck. Also, with the nannies off, will the steering have the same weight that it does in competition mode? I really like the feel of the steering with it.

Jim

I think you will find this thread very informative...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/260448-traction-contol-vs-stability-control-vs.html

Best regards.

Elie

Tedboss1
08-30-12, 05:13 PM
The best way to search is to use Google.
If you search for "Cadillac forum CTS v 2009 traction control" you will get many threads on the subject:
Re: Traction control...On or off?‎ - 15 posts - 29 Jul 2012
Re: Service traction control‎ - 8 posts - 20 Apr 2012
[Help] Stabilitrak Off , Service traction control ...‎ - 10 posts - 2 May 2011
Re: Service Stabilitrak and Traction Control messages ...‎ - 12 posts - 29 Mar 2011

Trionalaw
08-31-12, 10:12 AM
Much appreciated as always.

By the way, do any of the lights indicate that the nannies or off? I assume I will just have to determine whether the steering when he feels the same.

Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Jim

Xaqtly
08-31-12, 11:30 AM
When you turn everything off, the DIC says "stabilitrak off", and the traction control triangle warning light is turned on.

BTW, everybody should turn everything off and drive around a bit at least once, just to experience the difference. It's pretty amazing how much work TC and stabilitrak actually does in this car without you noticing most of the time. The difference with everything turned off is pretty noticeable. I took a left turn at low speed with everything turned off, gave it a little gas and was surprised to learn that the entire car was about to do a 180 if I didn't get off the gas. It's an eye opener.

TexasCTS-V
08-31-12, 11:31 AM
On my '12 I can hold down the TC button for about 5-6 seconds and it will completely turn off both TC and ST. I don't need to first press the TC button twice as mentioned above. Turn off at your own risk--it will really let the beast out of the cage!

Mystical_Ice
08-31-12, 07:16 PM
It's the same on the generation 1 CTS-Vs. You press TC button twice to put it in competetive driving mode. To turn stabilitrak AND T/C off, you just press and hold the T/C button (either of them - the glove box one or the dash one) for 6 or 7 seconds. the T/C light will show in the dash, and the DIC will say "Stabilitrak off".

So the modes are:

By default: T/C and Stabilitrak on when you start the car
To turn T/C off and leave Stabilitrak on: Press T/C button once (T/C light in dash will come on, and DIC will display Traction Controll off)
To turn TC off and Stabilitrak off: Press and hold T/C button until T/C light comes on AND DIC displays Stabilitrak off
To enable Competetive Driving mode (turns T/C off and relaxed Stabilitrak): Press T/C button twice about a second or two apart. T/C light comes on in dash and DIC displays "Competetive Driving Mode Enabled"

Havasusteve
09-01-12, 10:34 AM

Jim

Jim,

Not sure if one of your questions got answered or not. The firmer steering feel is only in Stabilitrak mode. I drive in this mode 24/7

Trionalaw
09-01-12, 05:51 PM
I really appreciate all the responses.

This morning I pushed the button and held it down. It indicated both traction control and StabiliTrac off. I forgot to see if there was a warning light. I will check when I go home.

By the way, with everything shut off the steering stays in the competition mode more weighted steering.

Because I like the feeling of the steering in competition mode, I do run it 24/7. To make sure there is some difference when I go to driving schools, unless I am doing a little practice on a quiet road, I leave the suspension in tour mode.

Thanks again and enjoy your holiday.

Jim

Trapspeed
09-01-12, 08:42 PM
Can someone explain what the car does to stiffen the feel of the wheel in this mode?

1997BlackETC
09-02-12, 12:49 PM
It must cut down on the power steering boost I'd thing right?

Trapspeed
09-03-12, 07:57 AM
Good possibility. I never pondered that since its pulley driven but who knows how these new cars work.

jft69z
09-03-12, 10:00 AM
Can someone explain what the car does to stiffen the feel of the wheel in this mode?

Here is the description straight from the GM Service Info:

Variable Effort Steering System Description and Operation

The variable effort steering (VES) system varies the amount of effort to steer the vehicle as wheel speed changes or lateral acceleration occurs. The electronic brake control module (EBCM) controls an actuator located in the steering rack and pinion. The actuator consists of an electromagnetic coil and a normally open pintle valve. The valve regulates an orifice that bleeds inlet pressure through a return passage to regulate the amount of pressure available for steering assist. The EBCM commands current from 0-1 amp to the VES actuator which varies the amount of effort required to steer the vehicle. At low speeds, 1 amp of current is commanded to the VES actuator and the pintle valve is fully closed which provides maximum pressure and maximum steering assist for easy turning and parking maneuvers. As speed increases, current is decreased and the pintle valve opens the orifice, decreasing available pressure providing firmer steering and directional stability. The VES system uses the steering wheel position sensor input to calculate lateral acceleration during abrupt driving maneuvers. The system also uses the antilock brake system (ABS) wheel speed sensor inputs to determine vehicle speed. The EBCM is constantly monitoring these inputs to achieve the desired current to the VES actuator. The EBCM has the ability to detect malfunctions in the VES actuator or the circuits to the actuator. Any malfunctions detected will cause the VES outputs to be disabled, and the actuator will return to an open state. The EBCM will command the driver information center (DIC) to display the SERVICE STEERING SYS warning message via the high speed GMLAN serial data circuit.

Trapspeed
09-03-12, 12:10 PM
Wow. Great read. Thanks. :thumbsup:

jft69z
09-03-12, 12:31 PM
You're welcome!!