: How much stiffer than standard CTS

RJR88
08-30-12, 05:40 PM
None of my local dealers have any V's sitting on the lot to test drive. One of them said that he can dealer swap to get one but I did not want to commit until I can drive one. He said I can take a standard CTS out to test drive but I have no idea how close the ride will be. I know the power will be different but how stiff will the V ride compared to the standard model? There is no way I am going to commit to a car before I can test drive the real thing. Is test driving a standard one a waste of time or will it give me some kind of feel? I am looking at the Coupe.

neuronbob
08-30-12, 06:23 PM
Having owned a V and driven a regular CTS, I can tell you that driving the regular car will only give you a taste for the interior of the non-Recaro V as the standard seats are the same. More than likely, the regular CTSs they have will have an FE1 suspension. This is nowhere near the experience with our FE4 suspension. FE3 comes close but you won't see that on a dealer lot, either. In short, the V suspension is much firmer than the FE1, though not so rough that you will suffer.

You may have to travel to test drive a V. Do you have a bud who is willing to trust you with a few minutes behind the wheel of his V?

Trapspeed
08-30-12, 07:10 PM
There's no close comparison between the two from a drive perspective and truthfully for the dealer to offer that to you as a suitable test drive for a potential V buyer, I'd be concerned.

cruiser68
08-30-12, 07:11 PM
Agreed, the loaner base CTS I get is nothing like the V from the seats to the suspension to the steering, to the brakes. Whenever I get a loaner, I CAN'T wait to get back to my V. The interior is about all that is similar IMO.

jenlain
08-30-12, 07:49 PM
I often become stiff when driving my V. Does that answer your question?

JFJr
08-30-12, 07:52 PM
They are totally different cars; they may look alike, sort of, but they are really different. If you are a high performance guy, the choice is a no-brainer; otherwise, go buy a Toyota.

Jud

stabie
08-31-12, 12:21 AM
I had a FE2 08 CTS. If I had to compare, I'd say the V is closer to my 09 vette (base engine) than to the old CTS in terms of the ride & power. Front end dive from braking on the V is much less than the FE2 and similar to the vette. Cornering is very controlled, with back end sliding very adjustable by modulating wheel spin, best done in manual mode or with a stick though and again much like the vette. Body roll on the FE2 CTS was substantial in hard cornering. The tires on the V are worlds better than the plain CTS as well. Differences to the vette are ride quality because the vette suspension does not have MR shocks. Those things really are amazing. Rough roads are smoothed out and yet somehow they are stiff when they need to be. Driver position is also quite different with the V you are much further forward and also higher up than the vette. So my advice is to test drive a vette if you can and sit in a CTS to get a sense of the interior and visibility. Actually on second thought, for a 70K car, I'd find one at a dealer in a town close by and drive it. 60-70K for a car unless your Warren Buffet is too much not to test. My dealer had a sedan that was the sales manager's and was available for test drives.

RJR88
08-31-12, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I have owned 3 Vettes in the past. One C5 and two C6's. I went from a 2006 C6 Vert to my 2008 SL550 and the SL does ride smooth but just doesn't have the Zap when you step on it like the Vette had. The one thing I do not miss about the Vette is the squeaks and rattles. They are good for a year and then they sound like they are falling apart. My SL after 5 years is still rock solid. I have read on this forum about people complaining about squeaks and rattles in the Caddy. I would think the Caddy interior should be better than the Vettes. I am going to test drive a standard CTS tonight just to get a feel of the interior. I will definitely test drive the V before I pull the trigger on one. Are the seats in the standard CTS the same as the standard seats in the V? I am not sure I want the Recarros. I am not going to track the car so I would rather have a little more of a softer seat.

neuronbob
08-31-12, 10:29 AM
^^^^^^^^
The seats are the same in the regular CTS and the non-Recaro V other than that in the V the seat inserts are sueded.

Xaqtly
08-31-12, 01:03 PM
RJR88 - The CTS-V's interior is definitely upscale compared to the Vette, the V is also much quieter and the ride is a lot smoother. That being said, when you put the V into sport mode it stiffens up a lot and becomes an amazing-handling GT car. But that's the point of having magnetic shocks, right? Dual personality. The Vette's interior is worse mostly because they use all lightweight materials, which is why it only weighs 3300 lbs.

You might be able to look at it like a step in between your previous Vettes and your SL550. The V is kind of like an SL550 with Vette-like suspension and engine. In sport mode it corners flatter and is better balanced than the SL550, the steering is more precise, it's much more of a driving enthusiast's car. You can't wait to rip it through some twisties. In touring mode it's probably not quite as smooth as the SL550 but a lot smoother than a Vette, and it makes for an absolutely awesome GT car.

It's also a lot faster than an SL550. :) It's actually faster than a base or Grand Sport Vette, too, albeit not by much. Based on what you said, the V actually really does seem like the kind of car you're looking for. You should definitely make sure to test drive one, not just a regular CTS. Make sure you hit the suspension button while driving it to feel the difference in ride, body control, balance and stiffness between the two modes.

RJR88
08-31-12, 02:16 PM
RJR88 - The CTS-V's interior is definitely upscale compared to the Vette, the V is also much quieter and the ride is a lot smoother. That being said, when you put the V into sport mode it stiffens up a lot and becomes an amazing-handling GT car. But that's the point of having magnetic shocks, right? Dual personality. The Vette's interior is worse mostly because they use all lightweight materials, which is why it only weighs 3300 lbs.

You might be able to look at it like a step in between your previous Vettes and your SL550. The V is kind of like an SL550 with Vette-like suspension and engine. In sport mode it corners flatter and is better balanced than the SL550, the steering is more precise, it's much more of a driving enthusiast's car. You can't wait to rip it through some twisties. In touring mode it's probably not quite as smooth as the SL550 but a lot smoother than a Vette, and it makes for an absolutely awesome GT car.

It's also a lot faster than an SL550. :) It's actually faster than a base or Grand Sport Vette, too, albeit not by much. Based on what you said, the V actually really does seem like the kind of car you're looking for. You should definitely make sure to test drive one, not just a regular CTS. Make sure you hit the suspension button while driving it to feel the difference in ride, body control, balance and stiffness between the two modes.
Thanks for the great info.

Xaqtly
08-31-12, 02:50 PM
And actually I almost feel obligated to mention this - not to start a manual vs automatic war, since everybody has their own preferences, but if you like manual transmissions and you generally prefer them to automatics, then do not settle for an automatic in a CTS-V. Not because the auto is bad - it isn't - but if you prefer a manual transmission, an automatic won't satisfy you once you discover how well this car handles and drives.

I've noticed that even in the short 6-something months I've been on this forum that there have been at least 5 different cases of people who bought an auto V because of the convenience for commuting or because the wife can't drive stick, and each one of those people regretted it to the point of either trading their V in on a manual V, or to the point of wishing they had gotten a manual in the first place. In a couple cases, even asking about the possibility of swapping a manual in. Again, not because the auto is bad, but simply because if you love driving a manual, nothing else will do.

And I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but this is one of those cars that was built for driving enthusiasts. In sport mode, there are very few cars that drive like this one does at high speeds and through turns. Nobody, including me, really expected the depth of capability this car possesses when driven hard. I suspect that's most of the reason some people have expressed regret at choosing the auto instead of the manual.

But if you're fine with automatics then the auto in this car is fine. It has a manual mode, a sport mode, and shift buttons on the back of the steering wheel. I just felt like it's something that should be mentioned to people who are looking to buy a V, since it's happened to a relatively large number of people already and the whole "Well it's a big cadillac so I should probably go with the auto" thing seems to be a common theme among potential buyers, even those who prefer manuals.

RJR88
09-01-12, 09:19 AM
I test drove the standard CTS last night and I was happy with the interior. It was definitely not the build quality of my SL but it was decent. The standard engine was blaaaaa. I definitely need to test drive the V to see how much of a smile it puts on my face. I did test drive the coupe and had no problems with visibility.

elphil
09-01-12, 02:46 PM
I had a CTS Wagon with the FE3 setup for 18 months and now have had the V-Wagon for about 18 months. While the FE3 is very good the V suspension is amazing. As several reviewers have said the V's combination of ride comfort and sporty handling is unmatched.

AlbertoC
09-01-12, 06:46 PM
There is no comparion. The V is a totally different car than the non-V brother. I have driven the non-V version as a loaner and i would have never bought that version of the car. The V is a complete different machine and unbelievable car to own. Go n test drive it n you will not regreat it

Hotrod-Realtor
09-01-12, 08:49 PM
If you're in the Charlotte NC area, you are welcome to drive mine.

thebigjimsho
09-01-12, 08:59 PM
The V does not have a stiff suspension at all. It is very comfortable...

muohio
09-01-12, 10:11 PM
I really can not tell the difference between the '08 CTS I had with FE2 suspension and my V as far as harshness. I actually think the V does a little better on rough roads and is very comfortable on long drives.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-05-12, 04:34 PM
RJR88 -
Enjoy your test driving! If we can answer any questions you may have about the product (along with the excellent and savvy members of the forum), we're definitely available to help as much as we can.

Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

RJR88
09-05-12, 04:48 PM
RJR88 -
Enjoy your test driving! If we can answer any questions you may have about the product (along with the excellent and savvy members of the forum), we're definitely available to help as much as we can.

Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service
I am picking up a new 2012 Coupe on Friday

cruiser68
09-05-12, 05:14 PM
I am picking up a new 2012 Coupe on Friday

You won't regret it!!!!! I can't believe how nice mine rides on the highway yet gets really firm for track time in comp mode.

quikag
09-05-12, 06:59 PM
A car magazine review I read a while back says the CTS-V still has the best ride/handling balance of any super sedan on the market. It's a firm suspension, but the magnetic suspension really keeps things fairly comfy. I've had a C5 and two C6's now (one I still own) and the V is very noticeably quieter and smoother than even my ZR1 which has a magnetic suspension set-up too.

If the C6 was a little rough around the edges and the SL550 was a little boring, then CTS-V will be a perfect fit for you. It's very quick, very smooth, and handles very well for a relatively heavy vehicle.