: 2005 STS Hood discolored and nothing seems to fix it

BruceP53
08-30-12, 02:15 PM
Hello, My black 2005 STS has been in the Miami sun the past few years and has developed discoloration only on the hood, I'm assuming due to heat. I keep it well maintained and waxed but nothing has fixed the discoloration. I've tried multiple compounds(light, heavy,meguirs, mothers, collonite), cleaner waxes, a clay bar kit and even had it professionally detailed in case I was doing something wrong. When I got it detailed they fixed the hood discoloration but it only lasted about a week until we got a lot of rain. Do I need to get the hood repainted or is there a special product I could try? Also what could the detailers have used that would only last a few days? Any help would be great. Thanks

dkozloski
08-30-12, 03:18 PM
Does the hood look tiger striped, does it have blotches of color, or is there subtle shading that only you notice?

BruceP53
08-30-12, 03:38 PM
There are blotches of duller paint covering the entire hood especially bad toward the center over the highest part of the engine. Almost looks like dull water spots but not on the surface. To the touch it's completely smooth. There are also what seem to be pale parallel lines in sections going across the hood. The blotches are very obvious.Thanks again

dkozloski
08-30-12, 05:27 PM
It sounds like a hood repaint to me.

KRSTS
08-30-12, 06:17 PM
Sounds like you have three choices
1. Repaint it
2. Sell it
3. Live with it, after all it is an eight year old car

BruceP53
08-30-12, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the response dkozloski. Sounds like a hood repaint is the way to go.

EChas3
08-30-12, 07:49 PM
Don't go cheap. Ask someone you trust in the business (insurance agent, dealer, detailer, etc.) The OEM paint/clearcoat is quite good and you'd hate to be disappointed. I've never regretted paying more for top quality.

02603sec
09-10-12, 09:48 PM
I think the factory paint is quite good too. However the raven black bc/cc seems thin on my.black sts. Mine has suffered from its share of road rash... err .