: Big rig tires - DAMAGE

CTSV_Jim
08-30-12, 12:56 PM
Not a great day yesterday. I was headed home from Houston on HWY 10 in a long line of cars. It's a common trucker path and only two lanes, so when someone slow decides to pass a truck or stay in the fast lane (I HATE that), it slows everyone down. At any rate, guard rail on the left, car on my right when all of the sudden I see a HUGE black mass fly up from the car in front of me. With nowhere to go I gritted my teeth and watched a giant chunk of big rig tire hit the windshield, rip of the passenger mirror and who knows what else. After I pulled over, I found scratches on the hood, slight damage to the passenger fender, busted mirror, scratched door and chipped windshield. No major dents luckily - just paint work. No one was hurt, there wasn't another vehicle involved and I was able to drive home with no mechanical damage. I consider myself lucky, but what a pain in the tail:

Tedboss1
08-30-12, 02:48 PM
Thank your lucky stars.
You were very lucky that the tire didn't smash the windshield and possibly heart you.

FLTRI
08-30-12, 02:52 PM
Ugh, yeah that sucks. Sorry for your pain...

VinATL
08-30-12, 03:48 PM
I caught one underneath the car today, early morning. Took out the front bumper, fog light, headlight, most of the underneath plastic, and just to make sure, whipped out to the side and scratched up the rocker and doors on the driver side.

No telling what else it damaged underneath. Rubber marks all over the underbody.

CTSV_Jim
08-30-12, 03:50 PM
Bummer ATL - hope everything works out ok. At least you weren't hurt.

VinATL
08-30-12, 03:53 PM
The funny part, that's just not funny?

I replaced the lower airdam (the gray part that catches the curb first) last week.

This is why we buy insurance. Just sucks, now we both get to deal with a body shop. I HATE body shops.

pmsteinm
08-30-12, 04:10 PM
Hopefully you can claim this against your comprehensive instead of collision. I had a similar thing happen, although my damage was limited to a fog light and the lower grill was cracked.

Trapspeed
08-30-12, 06:18 PM
Damn man. I hope it works out well. That just blows a fat whale dong.

1997BlackETC
08-30-12, 08:51 PM
That sucks, it's only a matter of time before something like that happens with all of us with all those crappy retread truck tires out there on the highways. I had that happen with my Deville years ago, too out the whole front grill of the car. Since that experience I tend not to follow either trucks or cars to closely on the highway, ya never know what is gonna get kicked up at you. Good luck with the repair, I hope it goes smoothly.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-31-12, 02:12 PM
CTSV_Jim & VinATL, I'm glad you two are alright! That must be so frustrating; I hope your Cadillacs are repaired and home to both quickly. I'm very sorry you had these upsetting experiences.

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

ClarkkentCTSV
09-01-12, 02:22 AM
I caught one underneath the car today, early morning. Took out the front bumper, fog light, headlight, most of the underneath plastic, and just to make sure, whipped out to the side and scratched up the rocker and doors on the driver side.

No telling what else it damaged underneath. Rubber marks all over the underbody.

Same exact thing happened with my car and exact damage. I replaced the fog light and inner fender plastic. Car will be at the body shop next week to repaint front bumpers, hood, fender, and side skirt at the tune of $1000+. It was all cosmetic , but it really sucks.

VinATL
09-17-12, 08:36 AM
To wrap up my saga, the car got fixed at Capital Cadillac north of Atlanta. The body shop did a good job, Mike took good care of it.

Lots of plastic, the bumper, and a new headlight... $3K. They also polished out a couple of scratches that were probably caused by the damned retread.

Moving on, $250 poorer. :)

M5eater
09-17-12, 09:11 AM
To wrap up my saga, the car got fixed at Capital Cadillac north of Atlanta. The body shop did a good job, Mike took good care of it.

Lots of plastic, the bumper, and a new headlight... $3K. They also polished out a couple of scratches that were probably caused by the damned retread.

Moving on, $250 poorer. :)

rock-chip renewal!

CTS-Vz
09-17-12, 09:20 AM
That sucks! Good luck getting everything back to normal.

CTSV_Jim
09-17-12, 11:42 AM
Wrapping my saga up as well. Got the V back last week and am EXTREMELY happy with the body shop. Pictures constantly throughout the process, only put 1 mile on the odometer, clean, great work, and pleasant to work with. Heritage Body and Frame in Cedar Park (Austin), TX. Highly recommend. Only negative is that they tried to "clean" the piano black with the usual interior cleaner. Left a film on it. Gotta clean it off. Good thing is it looks like they didn't scratch up the interior.

-Jim