: Vibration in shift lever (manual) in 5th gear

Steve BigD
08-30-12, 09:01 AM
I have noticed that if you place your hand on the shift lever while driving there is more engine vibration felt in the lever when the lever is in 5th gear than any other gear. Has anyone else noticed this. Could it be indicative of a problem? I noticed it even during my test drive of the car when it had only 9 miles on it so it is not something that has worn.

Thanks,

Steve D
2012 Black Diamond Coupe

simgolfer
08-30-12, 09:37 AM
Have never noticed this. Will check it out this morning though.

Zhariak
08-30-12, 10:49 AM
I have noticed that if you place your hand on the shift lever while driving there is more engine vibration felt in the lever when the lever is in 5th gear than any other gear. Has anyone else noticed this. Could it be indicative of a problem? I noticed it even during my test drive of the car when it had only 9 miles on it so it is not something that has worn.

Thanks,

Steve D
2012 Black Diamond Coupe

I'll check this on mine this morning...

PS nice choice on the vehicle, im rockin the same

And while I check this, a question to throw in the mix... Do you guys notice issues when shifting in to second? Once I a week I grind the shit out of 2nd because it feels like it's in, but its actually not...

baabootoo
08-30-12, 11:48 AM
Could it just be engine vibration due to the low RPMs?

larry arizona
08-30-12, 01:13 PM
Read this post and then went to lunch and checked my 6M is all gears and a variety of speeds. Feels the same in all gears, Not a buzzing vibe, but what I would call driveline noise, but I would say its normal. Now if your car in 5th is BUZZING that would not be normal.

Now you owe me $8 in gas HA:bouncy:

Zhariak
08-30-12, 02:09 PM

Thanks,

Steve D
2012 Black Diamond Coupe

Hey Steve,

I checked mine this morning... I noticed that 5th did feel different if I was doing 55km/h up to about 70km/h, above that it felt super smooth, no vibrations, no noise, etc...

Steve BigD
08-31-12, 09:03 AM
Yeah I checked it a bit further. It is just the feel of engine/gear vibrations transmitted through the shifter if I put slight pressure on the shifter with my hand in 5th gear. No buzzing just a throbbing and only when power is applied, not when coasting. Also it is only evident between about 1500 and 2500RPM, above that it smooths out. I guess it is just a bit of resonance and not a potential problem. Gotta stop the habit of resting my hand onthe shifter.

Steve D

TexasCTS-V
08-31-12, 11:30 AM
No vibrations in my 5th gear.

Zhariak
08-31-12, 12:58 PM
Yeah I checked it a bit further. It is just the feel of engine/gear vibrations transmitted through the shifter if I put slight pressure on the shifter with my hand in 5th gear. No buzzing just a throbbing and only when power is applied, not when coasting. Also it is only evident between about 1500 and 2500RPM, above that it smooths out. I guess it is just a bit of resonance and not a potential problem. Gotta stop the habit of resting my hand onthe shifter.

Steve D

With all this being said... I have a question, for you, or anyone else with 6M...

Do you guys have any issues ever getting the vehicle in to 2nd? I keep grinding the gear once a week because sometimes it's soo effin hard to get it in, or it doesnt go in all the way... Doesn't matter on snail acceleration, or fast acceleration.

larry arizona
08-31-12, 03:50 PM
At first I thought CAGS, but I have only run into it twice on very light accel, but VERY rare. Are you a little lazy on the clutch? I have been lazy on the clutch goin into 5th a couple times and had a grind or two......

Zhariak
08-31-12, 04:51 PM
At first I thought CAGS, but I have only run into it twice on very light accel, but VERY rare. Are you a little lazy on the clutch? I have been lazy on the clutch goin into 5th a couple times and had a grind or two......

You know it's weird... I have had skip shift happen (even though I do not get ANY prompt or noise, or message, or light, or whatever), and it actually forces as if I don't need to put any pressure on it, to get it in to 4th... Which is weird, but fine and I recognize it... but its not that.

The 2nd gear grinding thing is different... It only happens to my 2nd gear, it feels way different when going in to 2nd then any other gear... When I put it in, and this happens under all conditions (heavy accel, light accel, downshifting), I have to put it in, and then push down, or pull hard to make sure it's in.... I make it a habit to always fully press the clutch... At first I thought it was just me, but one time I was doing full 100% accel, 1st gear, went to put it in 2nd, it didn't go in, and I just grinded the eff out of 2nd since it wouldn't go in, even though it felt like it was in...