: Realistic Battery Life

JFJr
08-29-12, 09:37 PM
I know that we've had a lot of threads about batteries, but my stock battery has lasted 3 yrs. and 8 months, so far. I've never had a stock Delco battery last longer than 3 yrs., so what's been others' experiences?

Jud

Trapspeed
08-29-12, 09:52 PM
I know that we've had a lot of threads about batteries, but my stock battery has lasted 3 yrs. and 8 months, so far. I've never had a stock Delco battery last longer than 3 yrs., so what's been others' experiences?

Jud

My experiences have been "you may want to get a new one soon". That's the upper edge of the life of that battery...at least in a climate like mine.

Edit: just saw you're in J-ville. I'm in Orlando. I'd look for a replacement soon.

neuronbob
08-29-12, 10:57 PM
I've had my battery for almost 3 1/2 years, since purchase. No problems at all. My last car, an Acura RL, came stock with a Delco battery (I had no idea Delco was an OEM for a car like that manufactured in Japan....who knew?), and it lasted 2 1/2 years....and that was common with that model car, for that OEM battery to die prematurely.

I'm shocked that the stock battery in my V has lasted this long. I'm mulling over buying a replacement (Odyssey PC1220 or another stocker) before the winter. I have no idea how to tell when to change this battery. Voltage seems good....with the car on, it's 13.9.

tedcmiller
08-29-12, 11:24 PM
My car battery is a Delco in a stock automatic 2009 CTS-V. The battery is still going strong. I got the car in Jan. of 2009.

stabie
08-29-12, 11:47 PM
One reason for better longevity of our batteries I think is their protected location away from engine heat. My old 08 CTS never had a replacement in the almost 4 years I had it. I'll also say you can often "hear" the battery a week or so before catastrophic failure by just a slight difference in the sound of the starter motor. At least it has worked for my vette's.

baabootoo
08-30-12, 01:07 AM
My 2009 one is strong as heck also. I think it also depends if they put a small one in to save space. Ours seem nice and big so I'm not worried a bit.

JFJr
08-30-12, 08:02 AM
One reason for better longevity of our batteries I think is their protected location away from engine heat. My old 08 CTS never had a replacement in the almost 4 years I had it. I'll also say you can often "hear" the battery a week or so before catastrophic failure by just a slight difference in the sound of the starter motor. At least it has worked for my vette's.Yes, I think that the protected location of the battery plays a big part. My experience is that when you hear a momentary hesitation when starting the engine, that's all the warning you will get before battery failure. I'm waiting for that to happen.

Jud

Steve BigD
08-30-12, 09:35 AM
I agree that the placement of the battery in the trunk protects it from heat. MY 2000 BMW 540 also had the battery in the trunk and the OEM battery lasted 7 years while the replacement Interstate battery was still going strong (51/2 years) when I sold it three months ago.

Steve D
2012 Black Diamond Coupe

baabootoo
08-30-12, 12:46 PM
I'll be disappointed if I don't get 5 years from it.

Trapspeed
08-30-12, 08:30 PM
Climate, demands, and heat will make huge differences in the life. Historically, three years on a stock battery and I'm doing good here.

JFJr
08-30-12, 08:37 PM
Climate, demands, and heat will make huge differences in the life. Historically, three years on a stock battery and I'm doing good here.Respect your opinion. I was just making an observation. Hopefully, I haven't jinxed myself. But I will get another stock battery when the time comes.

Jud

BWhite58
08-30-12, 08:45 PM
Around here ,after 4 yrs your on borrowed time . A car that sits mostly in a garage is a different story .

JFJr
08-30-12, 08:54 PM
Around here ,after 4 yrs your on borrowed time . A car that sits mostly in a garage is a different story .Right, I have a lot of long trips; that helps for battery life. But I had that for my Corvettes, and their batteries didn't last as long. Do we get back to battery location?

Jud

JFJr
08-30-12, 09:07 PM
Thanks, guys, it's nice to be able to have a discussion without egos getting in the way.

Jud

Trapspeed
08-30-12, 10:32 PM
Thanks, guys, it's nice to be able to have a discussion without egos getting in the way.

Jud

Amen to that one bro! There is hope! :thumbsup:

dqw1
08-31-12, 12:20 PM
Looks like a lot of us are still on the original battery for about the same length of time. In my 04V I was replacing mine just about once a year to 18 months.

JFJr
09-10-12, 11:44 AM
Ha haa! I jinxed myself by talking about battery life. I got a little hesitation starting this morning. That's all the warning I will probably get. However, 3 yrs. 9 mos. is good battery life.

Jud