: Suspension

Chieften1326
08-29-12, 08:37 AM
I have a 2005 V8 STS and suspension seems to be way too soft especially riding on speed bumps. I believe maybe it's in a touring mode or something. Is it possible to adjust it through settings or how does one go about it? I have rims I want to put on it just don't want to donsonbegore this suspension is addressed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you do much.

1BadCadSTS
08-29-12, 10:09 AM
Then you don't have MRC...

Charles Warren
08-29-12, 11:32 AM
i dont have mrc and mine is stiff. he might have worn out parts.

curtc
08-29-12, 01:34 PM
Too soft are two words I would never use to describe the F55 suspension, in touring or performance mode...

The F45 in my old Seville was a cloud in comparison.

Ludacrisvp
08-29-12, 01:44 PM
Too soft are two words I would never use to describe the F55 suspension, in touring or performance mode...

The F45 in my old Seville was a cloud in comparison.

Completely 100000% agree. They are worlds apart (mine being a deville F45).

eatyoursandwich
08-29-12, 03:36 PM
Can you elaborate when you say it seems to be way too soft?

Only reason I ask is because soft/hard in terms of suspension gets mixed up a lot.

Too soft like you can't feel the road, or too soft as in your shocks aren't absorbing anything?

Chieften1326
08-29-12, 06:36 PM
They absorb the Road just when going over a speed bump or larger dip it's like swaying back an forth in a boat. I
Had a Lincoln that fealt like riding on a cloud. This isn't like that. Don't know why I'm getting replies concerning
Spelling and not the issue at hand. Just would like to know if this is comen in this particular vehicle or is a setting I can change on the touchscreen. Any true help would be much appreciated

Chieften1326
08-29-12, 06:39 PM
What's MRC? Manual says it should adjust automatically so don't know if it's not doing so or what but has a lot of sway to it over dips or speed bumps. Would be greatful for any advice.

curtc
08-29-12, 07:05 PM
Sway would be a different issue all together...so you say it kinda wonders from side to side when going over rough road? Check sway bars and links for play...

MRC = Magnetic Ride Control, suspension system developed by Delphi for GM in 2002...Test mule was the late 2002 STS before it went to the Corvette and then borrowed to Ferrari and other foreign manufacturers.

Same type of system that Acura has been advertising the last couple of years...too bad Honda, GM did it ten years ago :cool:

EChas3
08-29-12, 09:00 PM
Curt - In one sense, BMW has copied MRC for 2013, too.

Chief - I think you need tires and maybe struts; an STS should not be boat-like. My wife's 2007 V8 (1SE) has the 17" wheels but it's handled well since we replaced the tires. The OEM Michelins were crap with only 10,000 miles on them. They were not only rock-hard & slick, the sidewalls were easy to over-drive on a fun road.

Tires are a very personal choice. Tire Rack does a nice job helping people pick the right kind of tire, even if you buy elsewhere. It's more complex than this but here's one POV:

Traction vs. Treadlife
Response vs. Sensitivity
Low Noise vs. Tread Pattern
Compound vs. Mileage

Chieften1326
08-29-12, 10:14 PM
Curt - In one sense, BMW has copied MRC for 2013, too.

Chief - I think you need tires and maybe struts; an STS should not be boat-like. My wife's 2007 V8 (1SE) has the 17" wheels but it's handled well since we replaced the tires. The OEM Michelins were crap with only 10,000 miles on them. They were not only rock-hard & slick, the sidewalls were easy to over-drive on a fun road.

Tires are a very personal choice. Tire Rack does a nice job helping people pick the right kind of tire, even if you buy elsewhere. It's more complex than this but here's one POV:

Traction vs. Treadlife
Response vs. Sensitivity
Low Noise vs. Tread Pattern
Compound vs. Mileage

Thank you so much for the reply and I have to agree with tire issue. I just got a much larger rim and tire and am
Wanting to get this addressed before putting them on. My girl made a very good point just now. What I'm seeing
As too soft of a ride she sees as too hard and when compaired to our old Lincoln it doesn't have that cloud like ride like that one did. I plan to have the tension looked at as the MRC should be taking care of it. Of that's not it I guess
Look at the struts? Is that an expensive fix? My 02 sensors are burnt up so plan to har my mechanic look what you feel needs to be looked at when those get replaced this weekend. Once again I appreciate your help. Is there
Anything I can adjust through the computer? I swear I seen it say in touring mode at one point. I'm curious if that
Took the automatic ride off some how. Pretty stumped at this point but not a mechanic myself. Appreciate any
More feedback you possibly could give me.

scott9001
08-29-12, 11:04 PM
i know this is a shot out in the open but on my 65 deville i get sway when the tire pressures are down, this being said as its a project gettting drove in and out of the shop so i wouldent know much more about it check your tire pressures and what wheels do you have on the car?does it have navigation?

curtc
08-29-12, 11:28 PM
With MRC you get touring (firm) and performance (firmer), that's it..well kinda, the system adjusts constantly but your STS should ride pretty firm regardless.

EChas3
08-29-12, 11:52 PM
If your O2 sensors are bad, fix them soon before you ruin you cats; cats are expensive.

There's a label on your spare tire cover. If you don't see FE3 you don't have MRC.

I don't know your budget but you might try different tires and pressures before changing wheels. Used tires are cheap and can tell you a lot. Bigger wheels and low-profile tires will hurt the ride while they make a car more responsive. (High tire pressures simulate this effect.) But they do look great!

curtc
08-30-12, 12:54 AM
There's a label on your spare tire cover. If you don't see FE3 you don't have MRC.

Wouldn't he be looking for the F55 RPO to indicate the presence of the MRC option? AFAIK, FE3 is spring stiffness, my CTS had FE3 suspension...

OR...lift up one of the the side covers under the hood, electrical connection on top of the strut? If so, MRC is equipped.

EChas3
08-30-12, 09:12 PM
Quoting 2006 & 7 STS VIN build inquiries from the GM network:

F55 - CVRTD MAGNETO RHEOLOGICAL
FE3 - MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL

vs.

FE1 - 4 WHEEL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION

If I was inaccurate, it was an honest mistake.

Ludacrisvp
08-30-12, 09:36 PM
Quoting 2006 & 7 STS VIN build inquiries from the GM network:

F55 - CVRTD MAGNETO RHEOLOGICAL
FE3 - MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL

vs.

FE1 - 4 WHEEL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION

If I was inaccurate, it was an honest mistake.

I've always been told the FE1, FE2, FE3, FE4 RPO codes relate to the spring package and F45 is the CVRSS package (non magnetic continuously variable road sensing suspension) and F55 is the magnetic ride control. If I recall correctly the V series run FE4 with F55.
Either way I'll take a look at the build sheet that came from the dealer from some GM site when I get home and see what it calls them.

Ludacrisvp
08-31-12, 03:55 PM
My 'build sheet' shows

F55 - MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL
FE3 - 4 WHL IND SUSPENSION W/MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL
6SB - SUSPENSION
7SB - SUSPENSION
8XL - SUSPENSION
9XL - SUSPENSION
JJL - SUSPENSION FRONT NOT INSTALLED
JJM - SUSPENSION REAR NOT INSTALLED
That's everything suspension related on the build sheet. The automatic leveling control is different apparently, the OPerating System as the dealer called it (basically the calibration of the escm) does have the F55, and Q12 w/ AWD mentioned, implying to me a difference in the stance of the car based on wheel and suspension options combined with being all wheel drive.
There's so many variables to these cars...

EChas3
08-31-12, 09:38 PM
... and cars so equipped use a different leveling system. One of these?

6SD - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
7SD - COMPONENT SUSPENSION
8HJ - SUSPENSION
9HJ - SUSPENSION

curtc
09-01-12, 10:20 PM
Mine has the following on the build sheet

FE3 SUSPENSION SYSTEM,SPORT SPORT SUSP(FE3)

F55 CHASSIS CONTINOUSLY VARIABLE REAL TIME DAMPING MAGNETO RHEOLOGICAL VARIABLE TIME DAMPING CHASSIS(F55)

6SH COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (6SH) SUSP(6SH)
7SH COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (7SH) SUSP(7SH)
8HC COMPONENT RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (8HC) SUSP(8HC)
9HC COMPONENT RR RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (9HC) SUSP(9HC)

My 04 CTS had the same FE3 RPO