: Favorite scenic parkway!!

BIGREECE
08-27-12, 08:21 PM
I decided to pack a snack in the cooler and drive up to Mt. Mitchell on the Blue Ridge Parkway today and had a great little three hour
cruise. I live in Black Mountain and by way of the crow it's 14 miles behind my house, in the Fleetwood it was 88 miles round trip and
started at 2,200 ft elev at 82 degrees and went to 6,684 ft at 61 degrees in 18 miles:cool:. There was absolutely no wind and the weather
was almost perfect all the way to the summit parking area. If you live even close to the Blue Ridge Parkway you must visit Mt. Mitchell
State Park Which is the highest peak east of the Mississippi at 6,684 ft, it is absolutely gorgeous and in about 2-4 weeks the colors will
start turning on the trees. I have lived here my whole life and everytime I venture up on the Parkway I feel like I'm in heaven with the
smells and not to mention the total silence with no winds which is a treat I experienced today. The car (96 FWB) was flawless today and
and handled great, I love bringing my Supra up here it's alot of fun especially on these lush roads leading up to the summit. I must say hats
off to the park Rangers and faculty who keep this place neat and tidy, I took alot of pics but it was a back up camera so alot I could not show
but here's a few.

BIGREECE
08-27-12, 10:06 PM
Sorry for posting must have already been discussed, Buy.

orconn
08-27-12, 11:21 PM
I agree the Blue Ridge Parkway is on of the most beautiful rides in America .... especially in the Fall. To be honest there is some much agreement on that, that it can lead to traffic jams.

Being a Westerner, my favorite scenic drives are mostly out West. My very favorite is the over the Sierras into Yosemite by the back way. You have to take it after the snow melts or before the snow flies because it can become impassable once Winter sets in. It's a long drive up from L.A. to the Mono Lake turnoff that takes you into the mountains and across the High Sierras to a point above the Yosemite Valley (don't miss the view from the lookout before you wind your way down the chicane to the valley floor. Again it is best to go in the Fall, but be sure to check the weather in case snow squalls are predicted. These are not the green mountains of the Blue Ridge, most of the time you above the tree line, but the mountains themselves are magnificent and you will be treated to shining high country lakes and if lucky beautiful clouds.

96664 96665

96666 96667

talismandave
08-28-12, 12:07 AM
I have traveled about forty of the 50 states by car was always limited by a 1 to 2 week window and never made it out to the west coast states. Of where I have all been I have to say Skyline drive/Blue Ridge Parkway is hands down the most beautiful I have ever seen.
I went there for the first time in 1971 with my folks for vacation. It was the first vacation we had taken just the three of us. My maternal grandmother had always traveled with us and had been killed months earlier in a car accident. We all needed peace and the lush beauty of that area brought more comfort than we ever could have expected. It was a place that just made you forget the world and wrapped around you like a hug. The slow pace was a perfect match to the simple natural charm of the region. I have traveled back many times since and it has never lost the ability to charm me. I find it to be a religious experience every time I go there. John Denver"s song had just come out around our first trip there and on the radio all the time we were there. He had it right, Almost Heaven.

thebigjimsho
08-28-12, 12:14 AM
Blue Ridge is definitely my favorite getaway easily attainable from the northeast. Back in '95 my SHO had been broken into and my mega stereo had been stolen. And I was fighting a bout of depression.

So my father let me borrow his Chevy Lumina and take a 3 day vacation to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Got on at Skyline Dr and drove it all the way down, well into NC. Drove across NC and back up along the coast and took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. That was in May. Gorgeous.

Since then I've driven many sections of the Blue Ridge but never the entire road from VA to wherever it ends in Tennessee.

thebigjimsho
08-28-12, 12:27 AM
Last year I spent a week in Charlotte. At the end of the week, I headed home by means of Tail of the Dragon. I had the V, a friend of mine heading back to Indiana in his Vette.

We spent Friday morning driving over and eating at Waffle House. Drove up and down the trail and then over to the Cherohala Skyway. By the time we did all that is was late afternoon.

I downloaded his GoPro files onto my laptop and we split up to each head home. I had wanted to drive Blue Ridge but I wasn't conveniently close and I wanted to beat feet for home. So I headed for I-81. I did get to drive through some scenery and see Pigeon Forge, good lord!

Anywho, after driving a few hours, I was still in central VA and I was debating getting a hotel room or driving through the night to get home in the morning. I saw a sign for Sonic and wanted my Mello Yello w/ green apple and jalapeno poppers.

It's 12:30AM and I'm in Roanoke. Eating Sonic. Then I look at the map. I was a few miles off the Interstate. And there was the Blue Ridge, about a half mile from my locale. Why not?

So I went for it. As soon as I got on, a patrolman was sitting on the side. He then followed me for about 10 miles. Can't blame him at this time with MA plates. Once he left, I enjoyed about 2 hours of Blue Ridge to myself.

Then I got off, headed back to I-81, drove that for about 30 minutes and then found a Sheetz gas station in Staunton, VA and slept there about 3 hours to dawn.

thebigjimsho
08-28-12, 12:28 AM
Beartooth Pass is also the pimp.

ryannel2003
08-28-12, 12:33 AM
The Blue Ridge Parkway near the Lynn Cove Viaduct is just gorgeous in the Fall.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/ryannel2003/IMG_0916.jpg

This is the only picture I have of it on my computer. We used to have a cabin up in the Seven Devils Area a few years back, but sold it when the economy got bad. Hopefully I'll be visiting the area very soon.

donwon
08-28-12, 01:10 AM
I love driving all over the mountians of WNC, and Tenn and Ga.
Have spent many weekends driving the back roads, thats where I love it. In the winter you can see what is off the road and enjoy the scenery and see how some of the poor mountian people live.
In the summer it is too grown up and green to see anything.
When the leaves start to change it is beautifun, but too many people have found out about it and the roads are crouded and you travel at a snails pace.
I still try to go to some part of the mountians in the fall.
There are many things to do and places to see.

Submariner409
08-28-12, 09:45 AM
Skyline Drive during autumn in the VA Blue Ridge mountains.

Down from Carmel Highlands through Big Sur.

The old (1950's) Merritt Parkway.

The Kentucky Bourbon Tour :rolleyes:

............ any number of time-forgotten highways and byways in practically every U.S. state.

The Amalfi Drive around the Sorrentine Peninsula south of Naples (hair-raising). The Appian Way south of Rome (It's only 2000 years old). Some of the Alpine roads in Switzerland.

truckinman
08-28-12, 09:52 AM
I've driven so Many beautiful roads in this country it's hard to begin. Of course most have been in my semi. Which sometimes can make you regret trying some of these roads in a semi. Lol. I really like rt 60 thru WV. Beautiful rd. The I-77 toll road was closed one day bc of a haz-mat tanker spill and we were all forced to use rt 60. And boy was I glad. Turned out to be a beautiful highway. A little on the hairy side with a 53 foot trailer and those blind hair pin turns. But I loved it so much I went back to that exact stretch a few weeks later in the jeep and spent all weekend exploring all the side roads by there.

ShapeShifter
08-28-12, 11:41 AM
Gorgeous scenery! For some reason I get images of Moonshine and Junior Johnson....

creeker
08-28-12, 12:12 PM
My wife and I have been down the Oregon coast many times, it's beautiful, we also ventured down to California one time over hi-way 1, hi-way was almost scary at times,
some spots were real cliffhangers,maybe someone can tell me the name of a certain area in Calif., it was called the 7 magic miles or something like that,very unique
area right on the ocean, we found people to be especially nice when touring these small coastal towns.

dkozloski
08-28-12, 12:44 PM
Keystone Canyon on the Valdez Trail.

orconn
08-28-12, 01:13 PM
My wife and I have been down the Oregon coast many times, it's beautiful, we also ventured down to California one time over hi-way 1, hi-way was almost scary at times,
some spots were real cliffhangers,maybe someone can tell me the name of a certain area in Calif., it was called the 7 magic miles or something like that,very unique
area right on the ocean, we found people to be especially nice when touring these small coastal towns.

You are probably referring to Coast Highway 1 through Big Sur, considered by many to be one of the most beautiful rides in the world!

thebigjimsho
08-28-12, 02:41 PM
Skyline Drive during autumn in the VA Blue Ridge mountains.

Down from Carmel Highlands through Big Sur.

The old (1950's) Merritt Parkway.

The Kentucky Bourbon Tour :rolleyes:

............ any number of time-forgotten highways and byways in practically every U.S. state.

The Amalfi Drive around the Sorrentine Peninsula south of Naples (hair-raising). The Appian Way south of Rome (It's only 2000 years old). Some of the Alpine roads in Switzerland.

Id have loved to have driven the old Merritt. While I'm sure the current is much less exciting, its still enjoyable taking the 45mph corners at 70 with clients in the car. Enter wide, trail brake, hit my apexes, light throttle out. Makes a long drive slightly invigorating...

thebigjimsho
08-28-12, 02:54 PM
The Kancamagus in NH isn't as raw or enjoyable as it used to be but the scenery is still gorgeous.

But, instead of going all the way to Conway, take a left onto Bear Notch Rd. At the end, take a right onto 302 and then a left onto 16. Drive the Mt Washington Auto Road. Then continue up 16, take a right on 2 and as soon as you hit Maine, take a right onto 113. Then take Hurricane Mountain Rd back into North Conway.

Kancamagus is very well traveled but few get off onto Bear Notch. Most driving groups now just go for Bear Notch.

113 straddles the Maine/NH border and goes back and forth a number of times. It is narrow, not traveled at all and can be driven quickly.

Hurricane Mountain Rd is a glorified trail that bikers all over make a pilgrimage to. I found it by accident via navigation on the way back from a dropoff in Maine. In the Town Car, it was wild fun at 20mph. In my V, 30 is more than fast enough. Quick rises, tight turns, blind dropoffs are extreme. You better know how to spare your brakes and use your gearing.

All those together make for a great day of driving...

creeker
08-28-12, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=orconn;3070643]You are probably referring to Coast Highway 1 through Big Sur, considered by many to be one of the most beautiful rides in the world![/QUOTE

Yes.it was near big sur, it was getting to be dusk when we drove it, i dont know what it's like now, but we had quite a time trying to find a motel.

BIGREECE
08-28-12, 05:51 PM
Gorgeous scenery! For some reason I get images of Moonshine and Junior Johnson....
I took a hiking class in college back in the late 80's and you would not believe the old abandoned stills we saw on some of our hikes, not to mention the ones spread all over the region that are hidden and in communities and coves that are owned by generations of families. I work in the Liquor business and local distilleries are making there own shine, NONE of it compares to the real deal made deep in the sticks and is 20 bucks a quart compared to 25 to 30+ that the
distilleries produce. I'm a beer man but I've had some real apple pie moonshine and it was pretty tasty with that little burn which is expected. Most of the old school guys call it white liquor not moonshine. Troy and Sons in Asheville NC use local corn a family grows for them to make there product, it's the closest to the real thing and you can take tours and tastings just google it, Another good reason to ride the Parkway it's just out the back door from the distillery:p

BIGREECE
08-28-12, 06:02 PM
The Blue Ridge Parkway near the Lynn Cove Viaduct is just gorgeous in the Fall.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/ryannel2003/IMG_0916.jpg

This is the only picture I have of it on my computer. We used to have a cabin up in the Seven Devils Area a few years back, but sold it when the economy got bad. Hopefully I'll be visiting the area very soon.
My sister has a little placi in Blowing Rock and that is a cool little town with a real cool Irish pub (forgot the name dammit), but it's 2 feet off the Parkway and is 10 mins from Appalachain State University.

MrHolland
08-29-12, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=orconn;3070643]You are probably referring to Coast Highway 1 through Big Sur, considered by many to be one of the most beautiful rides in the world![/QUOTE

Yes.it was near big sur, it was getting to be dusk when we drove it, i dont know what it's like now, but we had quite a time trying to find a motel.
I agree, hwy1 is the most beautiful ride I've ever taken. Hope to be out that way in a couple of months!!

brandondeleo
08-30-12, 03:56 PM
There's nothing like PCH...

(Highway 1 to you non-west-coasties)

dkozloski
08-30-12, 06:13 PM
Hatcher pass between Willow and Palmer, Alaska is breathtaking.

CadillacLuke24
08-30-12, 07:36 PM
There's nothing like PCH...

(Highway 1 to you non-west-coasties)

Have you had the pleasure of cruising the Pacific Coast Highway, young trollhopper?

gdwriter
09-01-12, 02:02 AM
The Columbia River Scenic Highway (http://traveloregon.com/trip-ideas/scenic-byways/the-historic-columbia-river-highway/) from east of Portland to The Dalles is absolutely spectacular. Even if you stay on I-84, the scenery is gorgeous, such as Multnomah Falls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multnomah_Falls):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/Multfalls.jpg/375px-Multfalls.jpg

The historic highway also includes this gem, the Vista House (http://vistahouse.com/history/the-vista-house-story/) at Crown Point:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RTd22U9tNJg/S_3Ghd5aT_I/AAAAAAAADYw/sKVb0XQMgBk/s1600/VistaHouse.jpg

http://www.planetware.com/i/photo/columbia-river-gorge-national-scenic-area-hood-river-or383.jpg

http://www.allmounthood.com/images/content/8534_9754_Vista_House_Oregon_md.jpg

cadi509
09-01-12, 02:14 AM
Yes highway 1 is an awesome view to travel along takes you right to the redwoods, chinook pass or highway 410 thru mt rainier national forest is pretty good too

Aron9000
09-01-12, 02:31 AM
I used to live about 5 miles from the Natchez Trace Parkway, starts at the Loveless Cafe at the very edge of suburban Nashville. Ends in Natchez Mississippi, which is on the Mississippi River in the middle of nowhere, on the river its between Vicksburg and Baton Rouge. Very pretty road through the rolling hills of Tennessee, it gets kind of boring and flat going into Mississippi though.

I always hopped on at st rt 96, where there is this awesome bridge over the valley. Sadly its become known as "suicide bridge", since so many people jump off it. Hell I even knew somebody who jumped off it sadly enough, very long story there though.

http://www.jasoncoleman.net/images/natchez.jpg

Aron9000
09-01-12, 02:32 AM
I used to live about 5 miles from the Natchez Trace Parkway, starts at the Loveless Cafe at the very edge of suburban Nashville. Ends in Natchez Mississippi, which is on the Mississippi River in the middle of nowhere, on the river its between Vicksburg and Baton Rouge. Very pretty road through the rolling hills of Tennessee, it gets kind of boring and flat going into Mississippi though.

I always hopped on at st rt 96, where there is this awesome bridge over the valley. Sadly its become known as "suicide bridge", since so many people jump off it. Hell I even knew somebody who jumped off it sadly enough, very long story there though. There are now suicide hotline numbers on the signs as you drive up to the bridge.

http://www.jasoncoleman.net/images/natchez.jpg

orconn
09-01-12, 12:53 PM
That is a truly beautiful bridge! I am really impressed with the beauty of many of the modern suspension bridges that they have been building around the country. Although the simple beauty of the bridge you have pictured above is hard to beat!

brandondeleo
09-02-12, 03:34 AM
Have you had the pleasure of cruising the Pacific Coast Highway, young trollhopper?
Not yet... Didn't get my license until I moved to Washington. I WILL drive the entirety of it eventually. I've ridden in a car down most of it, though.

orconn
09-02-12, 03:34 PM
Angeles Crest Highway, it's not my favorite scenic drive but it does deserve mention because this road through the San Gabriels mountains just north of Los Angeles serves up a good serving of the scenic wonders to be found in many of California's more famous scenic drives.

What other scenic drive in the country begins just 25 minutes from the center of a major metropolitan city and within another twenty five minutes carries you to the top of mountain ridges 6000 feet above sea level?

I grew up with the Angeles Crest Highway both at my back door and as a road much traveled as I sometimes accompanied my Dad on his daily trips to Mt. Wilson to oversee the installation of the TV stations in the mid 1940's. Some of my school friends lived with their parents who were national park Rangers and we would have overnight stays at each others houses. From my families home, on a clear day, we had a bright view of the shining television transmitter towers, at night I could see their flashing warning lights from my bedroom window. On occasion my family would take a picnic to the canyon a Switzer's camp where a very nice stream cascaded over water falls.

The San Gabriel mountains aren't the majestic and even higher mountains of the Sierra Nevada, but they are plenty rugged and dangerous for those who choose challenge their treacherous slopes.

The Angeles Crest Highway begins its' ascent from the small suburban city of La Canada (also home to the famous JPL (NASA Jet Propulsion Lab) where much of our space exploration is controlled from) and quickly and very windingly climbs for 30 miles through the mountains. By and large the two lane mountain road is kept in very good condition, which is no small task given the rock slides and erosion from Winter storms that take place with great regularity. Off shoots of Angeles Crest take you to Palmdale and also to Mt. Wilson where the TV stations and the observatory are located.

Readers of Road and Track will be familiar with this challenging stretch of highway as the magazine has used the road as part of its vehicle road testing almost from the magazines inception in the early 1950's. The roads almost constant climb to its zenith at Red Box Ranger Station and the sharp and milder curves and switchbacks pretty much tell the story of how well a car handles rigorous non track driving.

While living at my mother's home, at the base of Eaton Canyon, I used to drive the Angeles Crest on an almost weekly basis. By evening the road is almost deserted and the sight of the sun setting on the Pacific Ocean horizon is something one never gets tired of.

The road is dangerous for the fool hardy who want to test the laws of physics and many a driver has met their death plunging over the road's side into the 1000 foot deep canyons below. But for those who know there machines capabilities and want an invigorating or just a scenic, quick, ride in the wilds the Angeles Crest Highway offers a unique opportunity. If you are in Los Angeles with some time to kill and a rentacar you might want to give it a try .... if nothing else, you will know what the boys at R&T have been talking about all these years!

96945 96946

96947 96948

96949 96950

thebigjimsho
09-02-12, 11:46 PM
Seattle and Mt Ranier?

brandondeleo
09-03-12, 02:57 AM
Angeles Crest Highway, it's not my favorite scenic drive but it does deserve mention because this road through the San Gabriels mountains just north of Los Angeles serves up a good serving of the scenic wonders to be found in many of California's more famous scenic drives.
If you're familiar with that, you should be familiar with the Glendora Ridge and Azusa Canyon drives! They're great. Spent SO much time up there growing up, considering I lived just below them for most of my life.

brandondeleo
09-03-12, 02:58 AM
Seattle and Mt Ranier?
Lots of beautiful drives in the Hwy 12 area around Rainier... Another gorgeous one is Hwy 97 over Blewett Pass just north of here.

thebigjimsho
09-03-12, 09:55 AM
Indeed.

cadi509
09-03-12, 06:28 PM
Then the left over to the little bavarian town of leavensworth

brandondeleo
09-04-12, 03:21 AM
Then the left over to the little bavarian town of leavensworth
Yeah, Hwy 2 through the Cashmere valley up towards Leavenworth is a very pretty drive. Gorgeous little valley, as if you're in the Alps.