: Leaving Fob On Sunroof Over Night Drain Battery

malatu
08-27-12, 07:28 PM
Will leaving the fob on the sunroof over-night keep the proximity sensor acitvated causing any kind of drain on the battery. I wouldn't think so, but it's worth asking.

I'm always looking for my car keys. A friend suggested to simply leave them on the sunroof instead of taking them into the house (car is garaged). What a simple but brilliant idea!

KRSTS
08-27-12, 08:08 PM
Drained mine. Wrap it in aluminum foil.

curtc
08-27-12, 08:17 PM
People will be able to get in it so I hope you don't leave anything of value inside overnight

Edit: missed the garaged part, my bad...

But why the sunroof? If it's garaged just leave it wherever you want...

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-27-12, 08:26 PM
These cars have keys that are difficult to misplace IMO...mine are always only in my pocket or in the same spot when I'm home

malatu
08-27-12, 09:10 PM
By placing the keys on the sunroof, the key's won't scratch the paint.

Unfortunately, if I could discipline myself to place my keys in the exact same spot every time, I'd do it. .... too many squirrels around!

People will be able to get in it so I hope you don't leave anything of value inside overnight

Edit: missed the garaged part, my bad...

But why the sunroof? If it's garaged just leave it wherever you want...

malatu
08-27-12, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately, it's not a function of the keys!

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-27-12, 09:32 PM
Unfortunately, it's not a function of the keys!

Lol I understand that, you just have to make it a habit is all...think about this though...what if you forget to close the garage one night? You could possibly not have a car at all in the morning :)

EChas3
08-27-12, 09:49 PM
No problem at all.

I don't understand why it would sound like a good idea but it's your car... For now.

truckinman
08-28-12, 03:48 AM
I wouldn't make it any easier then I have to for some one else to take my car. I'd rather have the inconvenience of every now and again having to spend a few extra minutes looking for my keys, then being one step closer to giving away my STS.

I realize its in the garage, but my guns are kept in the house with me. That so if someone breaks in I'll hear them and I can shove my .380 in their worthless face. But it'll be harder to hear them breaking into the garage to defend your valuables. And like someone said, what if you happen to forget to close the garage door just like you forget where your keys are from time to time.

That's just my .02. Take from it what you want, otherwise I hope you've got full coverage. Just saying...

malatu
08-28-12, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the life coaching! I enjoyed the input. But if I'm gonna worry about someone breaking into my garage to steal my car, then I've got to worry about my house burning down with the car in the garage (that won't stop me from parking my car in the garage). More realistically, I'll have to start worrying about the inattentive driver rear-ending me at a stop light, and the kid texting while driving side-swiping me, and the drunk driver crossing the yellow line hitting me head-on, etc., etc. (Unfortunately, I've experienced two of the three, but I still find the courage to continue to place myself in harms-way. ). For me, placing my keys on top of my car as it sits inside my garage is well with in my tolerance of "risk taking". :hide:

None-the-less, back to my original question. Will the fob drain the battery if within the range of the fob sensor (as the keys sit on my sunroof over-night or for an extended period of time)? I believe at this point, two responders have offered opposing opinions.

truckinman
08-28-12, 02:33 PM
I highly doubt it will. When I bought my STS, the dealer had the fob in a metal box in the window that only they had a key for. Funny thing was, I was able to start the car b4 any sales man saw me there. Lol. They didn't think ahead on that set up.

But point being if that could sit there like that all day and have no effect on the battery, I'd think you'd be ok over night.

Ludacrisvp
08-28-12, 02:43 PM
I highly doubt it will. When I bought my STS, the dealer had the fob in a metal box in the window that only they had a key for. Funny thing was, I was able to start the car b4 any sales man saw me there. Lol. They didn't think ahead on that set up.

But point being if that could sit there like that all day and have no effect on the battery, I'd think you'd be ok over night.

Nice....

truckinman
08-28-12, 02:50 PM
Lol. I got in and knew I could start it if the fob was really in the box. My fiancÚ started freaking out "oh don't do it you're gonna get us kicked off the property". I did it anyway. Lol. That's how I tested it all out b4 I was pestered by a salesman. Lol.

eatyoursandwich
08-28-12, 03:50 PM
Will leaving the fob on the sunroof over-night keep the proximity sensor acitvated causing any kind of drain on the battery. I wouldn't think so, but it's worth asking.

I'm always looking for my car keys. A friend suggested to simply leave them on the sunroof instead of taking them into the house (car is garaged). What a simple but brilliant idea!

Put all of your keys in the same place every time. I can't tell you how much this simplifies life -- especially with multiple vehicles.

Tourist
08-28-12, 03:56 PM
If you can remember to put the fob on the sunroof every time you leave the car, i.e. the same place every time, just put a hook inside by your entry door, and hang the fob there. Safer, no possibility of draining the battery, and easy to find.

truckinman
08-28-12, 04:47 PM
Put all of your keys in the same place every time. I can't tell you how much this simplifies life -- especially with multiple vehicles.

Helps a ton. We've got a shelf with hooks by our front door and my fiancÚ n I put everything there at night. She and I each have a fob for the STS and each have a key/remote for her Saturn on each of our key rings. Plus house key and mailbox key. But hanging our keys by the door helps a lot. I put my wallet on that shelf too so I don't forget it. I can be a very forgetful person. Lol

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-28-12, 07:47 PM
Really what the funny part will be is when he is so used to leaving the keys on the sunroof at home, in the garage that he does it in a public place and not just the "safe" garage and the car goes bye bye or somebody just takes the fob...like I said "keys are ALWAYS in my pocket or in the SAME place when I'm home" period

EChas3
08-28-12, 09:11 PM
M - Do what you want.

If a dead battery worries you, insurance takes many forms. I ran my original battery until just a few months ago! You might be surprised how cheap jumper-packs may be on sale; watch the ads. I use it camping & never risk my STS giving a friend a jump.