: Hydrolock from an automatic carwash

Ste_V_e
08-27-12, 07:25 PM
Hey guys I have an Airaid intake and have read some storys of intakes on cars hydrolocking from heavy rain.
Would I have anything to worry about going through a touchless car wash? Is it better for me to turn off the car while in the wash? Please don't turn this into a "Don't use automatic washes" thread. Just looking for some reassurance.

Thanks
-Steve

larry arizona
08-27-12, 07:34 PM
hmmmm, seems very hard to believe you can get that much water up the intake track. I have never heard of it, But then again, my V has never seen rain or a carwash for that matter. I would love to hear a documented case of this as I call BS on it.

Ste_V_e
08-27-12, 07:35 PM
hmmmm, seems very hard to believe you can get that much water up the intake track. I have never heard of it, But then again, my V has never seen rain or a carwash for that matter. I would love to hear a documented case of this as I call BS on it.

I feel the same way and most guys aren't running there cars through car washes with intakes.

larry arizona
08-27-12, 07:39 PM
just shut it off if you do and if its one that drives the rear wheel, jut put it in neutral. No biggie

Ste_V_e
08-27-12, 07:56 PM
I never go to the ones with tracks.

hulksdaddy
08-27-12, 08:08 PM
The next time a car hydrolocks in a car wash will be the first. You will have no problem.

garfin
08-27-12, 08:32 PM
The next time a car hydrolocks in a car wash will be the first. You will have no problem.

Hydrolock is one of the 2 issues that will kill an LSx engine. (the other is oil starvation). If I remember correctly, there were a few instances when hydrolock occurred with the early LS1 Camaros and Firebirds having aftermarket intakes... which involved plowing through REALLY deep, substantial puddles at 60 mph+. That high speed pressure, forcing the water up into the intake, was the culprit that fubared the engine. I just can't imagine that there would be enough water pressure, running your V through a car wash, even with an aftermarket intake, that could cause similar damage. That being said, it's better to be safe than sorry and not take that chance.

Best regards,

Elie

Trapspeed
08-27-12, 11:01 PM
Been running CAI kits for decades and never a problem...even when I used washes three and four times a week. You'll be fine.

baabootoo
08-27-12, 11:35 PM
Hydrolock is one of the 2 issues that will kill an LSx engine. (the other is oil starvation). If I remember correctly, there were a few instances when hydrolock occurred with the early LS1 Camaros and Firebirds having aftermarket intakes... which involved plowing through REALLY deep, substantial puddles at 60 mph+. That high speed pressure, forcing the water up into the intake, was the culprit that fubared the engine. I just can't imagine that there would be enough water pressure, running your V through a car wash, even with an aftermarket intake, that could cause similar damage. That being said, it's better to be safe than sorry and not take that chance.

Best regards,

Elie

Yes, I remember one incident from the Pontiac G8 boards. He drove through some deep rain water with a low-mount CAI. His car insurance DID cover the damage though. NO need to worry about a car wash though, I use them all the time.

DiamondWhtV
08-28-12, 04:23 PM
Talking hydro-lock....boss's '12 vette just had to have the motor replaced due to water entry from rain storm filled street. Intake is about the same distance off the ground as our V is. He was going about 15 mph in heavy rain and couldn't see the pot hole...front end dipped just enough to suck the water in. #8 connecting rod broke.

cdog533
08-28-12, 04:34 PM
Don't use automatic washes.

Xaqtly
08-28-12, 06:09 PM
Don't use automatic washes.

Please don't turn this into a "Don't use automatic washes" thread.

Third party intakes seem to have the filter in roughly the same place as stock, I really wouldn't worry about it.

quikag
08-28-12, 06:46 PM
With the height and design of the Airaid, you'd have to drive into a river to hydrolock the LSA engine. You're fine. I use a brushless automatic car wash almost every week with zero issues and I leave it running while the car wash is doing it's thing.