: Weather report in V

seandalal
08-27-12, 06:01 PM
Guys,

My service guys is already investigating so your help also appreciated.

The Info button on the 2012 CTS V Coupe. When you hit Info, where does the weather data come from? It takes 10-15 minutes to load after the car is up and running in open air, not a garage.

I called XM and they said I have Traffic and Navigation enabled on the car. Even though I am on a trial period, when my trial ends I have these features. Weather cannot be enabled on this car.

So is the weather coming from On Star or regular radio? and why does it take so long to boot up?

Thanks for your help!!

Sean

JimmyH
08-27-12, 06:45 PM
moved from cust svc

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-27-12, 10:46 PM
Sean, I'm sorry to hear about your weather confusion! If you don't mind sending me an email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with the last eight of your VIN, I'd be happy to look into this further for you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

FLTRI
08-28-12, 01:40 PM
Yes, it's XM. I let the audio portion expire but kept Traffic & Weather features, it's about $3 a month. Takes a while to boot up, but worth it for me...

1997BlackETC
08-28-12, 02:00 PM
Sounds like it something to do with not having the audio portion.

FLTRI
08-28-12, 03:16 PM
Sounds like it something to do with not having the audio portion.

I don't think so. I have a high end Garmin for my bike that has XM. I have audio as well as traffic and weather on it. Music loads instantly, traffic about a minute, and weather still takes 10 minutes or so. FWIW, the weather feature on the Garmin is Much better than the V. I get moving, real time satellite imagery on it...

seandalal
08-28-12, 08:38 PM
its coming from XM. But not from the product XM Weather which cost $3/month. XM says the CTS V is not compatible. So i think it is coming from XM audio, as the audio has 10 XM weather channels on it. Still investigating with customer service and the dealer!

Zhariak
08-29-12, 12:09 AM
I noticed this...

I called XM Canada (I'm in Canada), and the first individual told me it would be $740.00 to activate the weather in my V. Told me what it would give me, etc.... I found this NUTS... I called back to speak with someone else incase the first guy had the pricing wrong, and the second person told me it does cost that much, however my car isn't compatible...

Then I read online that you Americans get it for dirt cheap!

I called back again, and 3rd person told me it's only available for XM units in planes, and not as of yet for vehicles in Canada.

1997BlackETC
08-29-12, 12:16 AM
Probably not worth it, heck all it shows is three days of weather either with clouds or the sun. You could toss a coin and probably be more accurate than the forecast it gives anyhow.

thebigjimsho
08-29-12, 12:20 PM
I have it. It's handy sometimes, like when there was tornado warnings in far northern MN and I had little cell service.

But, 99.9% of the time, a smartphone with Weatherbug(or similar) app and alerts is a better option.