: Customized STS Headlights and Foglights

coombssc
08-27-12, 12:07 AM
Cadillac STS headlights have the habit of leaking water and ruining the chrome so I decided to spruce mine up a little bit by repainting them flat black. Does anyone know if this is actually street legal or if there is actually a market for people wanting something like this. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure resealing them will fix the leak problem.

curtc
08-27-12, 01:56 AM
Don't see why it wouldn't be street legal, only think it would look good on a black one though...

Ludacrisvp
08-27-12, 03:19 AM
The only issue I see is the turn signal reflector no longer being reflective.
I can see Police not liking that as a safety concern, I have wanted to replace that with an amber panel of LEDs instead.
Perhaps you could find a rectangular LED panel with bright amber LEDs and retrofit that into the DRL / Turn signal spot.

Four Fins
08-27-12, 11:32 AM
I'd like to see these installed, looks good.

Mullah88
08-27-12, 12:00 PM
Was going to do that to my blue sts but the color thing wasn't going to work

eatyoursandwich
08-27-12, 12:23 PM
I'd like to see these installed, looks good.

Not my thing -- too much like a CTS, but to each their own.

dl72
08-27-12, 02:09 PM
I think it would look good on a black STS as well, especially a V.

STS Serge 172
08-27-12, 03:08 PM
Dont think I like the halos but they might look much better with the OEM projectors! I like the blk housing idea.

coombssc
08-27-12, 06:01 PM
Here's a look at the pair of HID headlights we ended up making also. The fog lights didn't turn out so great once I put an amber bulb in them so I'll have to come up with a better idea for those. I try to stay away from aftermarket LED stuff, but I may end up opening the light back up and trying to put some different bulbs in.

1BadCadSTS
08-27-12, 07:47 PM
Seen them on eBay. Price is only reason why I ddnt jump on them.

Mullah88
08-27-12, 10:18 PM
lol thats the thing, you cant have the headlight and fog unit housing painted and then leave the turn signal

kchapps
08-27-12, 11:04 PM
hey i know this isnt the right place to ask but I figured i may as well, My headlights started leaking i guess (theres always a fog/mist in the headlight)
How to I repair this and prevent it in the future?

Charles Warren
08-28-12, 10:40 AM
I want to do a led conversion like the sts sae 100. Maybe new escalade led headlights can be the donor. By the way those look good

Charles Warren
08-28-12, 11:00 AM
96678 these are what shouldve been on platinum sts's audi would never got fame for led headlamps

Ludacrisvp
08-28-12, 11:14 AM
96678 these are what shouldve been on platinum sts's audi would never got fame for led headlamps

This = +1

eatyoursandwich
08-28-12, 03:56 PM
Some company used to sell an aftermarket version of those for STSs, but I'm pretty sure they went out of business. I can't even find pics of them anymore.

Ludacrisvp
08-29-12, 06:25 AM
Some company used to sell an aftermarket version of those for STSs, but I'm pretty sure they went out of business. I can't even find pics of them anymore.
That is disappointing ...

nolan_solberg
11-20-12, 05:37 AM
I think the led halo looks great. I saw a pic from some Russian site of an STS with custom angel eyes and I've been planning to do this to mine, Just want to make sure I use the correct kinds and materials before attempting it. Would you be able to help with a link of a site where you got yours? The mm size of the ring and etc?

eatyoursandwich
11-20-12, 10:13 AM
Halo's looks great......on a BMW.

At any rate, you can get a retofit kit from retrofit source.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=205

Even if you get some cheap halo's, you're going to have to open the headlight which isn't exactly the easiest thing the first few go-arounds.

is3_ftw
11-23-12, 01:19 PM
Unless the Halo's come stock, its not worth the headache of replacing them a few times, during the time you own them. I heard many complaints about people opening their headlights more times than they wanted to, cus their halos stop working. Its not just plug-in and never have to worry about them. Plus, you need delicate hands and dont bump them hard. They do break easy. Also, the signal wont be a factor with the PO-PO's, as long they blink amber.

reneeg
12-26-12, 04:30 PM
Cadillac STS headlights have the habit of leaking water and ruining the chrome so I decided to spruce mine up a little bit by repainting them flat black. Does anyone know if this is actually street legal or if there is actually a market for people wanting something like this. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure resealing them will fix the leak problem.

Question, how did u get the lens off and back on?

----------

Question, how did u take the lens off and put back on?

EChas3
12-26-12, 10:31 PM
There's a thread covering the whole process. I think the 'Sticky Thread' at the top of the forum has a link to it.

As I recall, it takes heat & patience to disassemble it. Good sealer & a steady hand make for a good refurb.

eatyoursandwich
12-27-12, 09:37 AM
Question, how did u get the lens off and back on?

----------

Question, how did u take the lens off and put back on?

Heat gun, a ton of time, and a ton of patience.

Evil_STS
07-23-13, 05:17 AM
I've looked everywhere. I wonder if you might remember what size (mm) the halos are for the 05+ STS?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch, ride looks very nice man!