: 05 STS possible timing chain issue

thegoat86
08-26-12, 09:22 PM
I read alot of the posts here about some timing chain issues for my car. I have a very light chattering noise from the engine bay and a P0008 code. I reset, and it pops up again. I changed the oil to the specified oil GM states under advisement by my dealer. Made sure to use the AC Delco filter GM stated. No change. I bought the car early this year. It is out of warranty. 86K. I changed the oil regularly around 3-4k. I checked the oil often as I was told by the previous owner it burns a couple quarts between changes. I am a novice mechanic. (I maintain my own vehicles and have changed parts/tore down/rebuilt older V8 engines) I got an estimate from my dealer to change only the chains. 2.3K, they state the guides and tensioners will be fine. The chains stretch and that is the code I am seeing. Saying the cams are off by a degree or whatever the peramiters are. I read a thread here saying the FSM for my car is on this site for free. I would love to see it. Also i read a step by step process on changing timing chains with supporting photos is here. If there is a MOD who can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. Also any help from anyone who has had this problem before.... In my experience, a loose or slack timing chain would be setting off a slew of codes. Not just one. But I have been wrong before. And will be wrong again I'm sure. Thanks

1BadCadSTS
08-27-12, 08:38 AM
Wrong. The guides and tensioner should ALWAYS be changed when doing timing chains.

KRSTS
08-27-12, 10:18 AM
GM has put an extended 10 year 120K mile warranty on certain V6s. Yours may be one of them. Have the dealer run your VIN#.

EChas3
08-27-12, 09:38 PM
Don't let them cut corners. Do the job right and enjoy many mailes of happiness.

thegoat86
08-31-12, 01:42 PM
I called all dealers in florida for pricing, ran VIN. Not covered by ext waranty. :( I am having some money problems and cannot afford the 2,300 right now. I am fairly mechanically inclined and have chosen to undertake this myself. I priced the cloyes chain kit, $230, I am having a hard time finding the seal kit for the chain replacement. I read RTV only?... I changed the chain in an old saturn with DOHV. I am hoping it will be similar in scope. I have more than the necessary tools. I invested in a balancer installer, so I wouldnt beat the crank up with my air tools. I also have the required torque wrenches. I saw a comment in one of the threads about a makeshift cam gear holder with some wrenches tied together. I will look further into that. I really, really, really don't want to do this work. Wish I had the money tree in my backyard for once.