: Escalade door handle not covered? Extended warranty question.

tpetty
08-26-12, 05:54 PM
When we bought our '08 Escalade almost 3 years ago, the dealer told us the certified extended warranty extended the bumper to bumper coverage to 6 years/100k miles. There is a well known problem with door handles on these Escalades -- and we have had 2 or 3 fixed over the last couple years, always done for free. I assumed this was the CPO warranty coverint this.

Another door handle broke the other day, and we took it in to be fixed, and were charged this time. Told warranty doesn't cover this.

I looked at the CPO warranty on the internet, and sure enough, it doesn't look like trim/handles are covered.

Has the CPO warranty changed in recent years? Was I mistaken - that it was never bumper to bumper - or has the coverage been reduced? If the warranty has changed, shouldn't the comprehensive warranty in place several years ago continue for me? Warranty changes aren't retroactive.

Thanks.

JimmyH
08-27-12, 05:44 PM
CPO terms have changed, but it doesn't change CPO coverage on vehicles purchased before they made the change.

When dealers replace the same thing on your car multiple times, they sometimes won't cover it because they figure it's abuse. This happened to my sister on her Mazda CX9. Her dogs kept breaking the rear vents. The first two times they fixed them under warranty. On the second, they told her they would not cover it under warranty anymore.

tpetty
08-27-12, 06:27 PM
Well, the handles on these vehicles are pretty well known to be junk. It's not abuse - but if the door is attempted to be opened before unlocked (which the kids do frequently) the entire door handle trim thing can pull out. Never happened to us on another vehicle....EVER... but multiple times on the Escalade.

Does anyone have documentation or a link to what the CPO terms were in fall of 2009?

JimmyH
08-27-12, 07:31 PM
I am not saying it's abuse. But the dealer may well try to. Have you tried a different dealer? That would be my first, best recommendation.

If you haven't already done so, you might post this in the escalade forum too to see if anyone has had a similar problem. Not many people view the customer care forum.

JimmyH
08-27-12, 07:31 PM
I am not saying it's abuse. But the dealer may well try to. Have you tried a different dealer? That would be my first, best recommendation.

If you haven't already done so, you might post this in the escalade forum too to see if anyone has had a similar problem. Not many people view the customer care forum.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-27-12, 10:20 PM
Tpetty, JimmyH makes a couple of excellent points. Posting in the Escalade forum may yield the prior warranty specific documents you're after. Also, I'm in line with his thinking that taking your Escalade to an alternative dealership would be a great next step to explore.

If you'd like my assistance scheduling an appointment or following up with a dealership for you, please don't hesitate to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

mrkool
08-28-12, 11:05 AM
When we bought our '08 Escalade almost 3 years ago, the dealer told us the certified extended warranty extended the bumper to bumper coverage to 6 years/100k miles. There is a well known problem with door handles on these Escalades -- and we have had 2 or 3 fixed over the last couple years, always done for free. I assumed this was the CPO warranty coverint this.

Another door handle broke the other day, and we took it in to be fixed, and were charged this time. Told warranty doesn't cover this.

I looked at the CPO warranty on the internet, and sure enough, it doesn't look like trim/handles are covered.

Has the CPO warranty changed in recent years? Was I mistaken - that it was never bumper to bumper - or has the coverage been reduced? If the warranty has changed, shouldn't the comprehensive warranty in place several years ago continue for me? Warranty changes aren't retroactive.

Thanks.

Ddvgfgfyf

JimmyH
08-28-12, 01:54 PM
Ddvgfgfyf

eorituoeiu