: Why some people shouldn't touch cars...

the recluse
08-26-12, 02:35 PM
My wife's boss builds motors to race at the track, but hates FI...largely because he know NOTHING about it....

Now, couple that with an LT1 motor (or as he puts it "Where the hell's the distributor?")and you have the makings of a disaster...

The car in reference:

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af274/therecluse_album/Z28.jpg

4 months ago, I got the car, non running, and changed the fuel pump, starter, starter relay, gave it a full tune up, changed the water pump, and the Optispark. Got the car running great (was drifting it around the neighborhood), however it had an occasional backfire that I was trying to decipher as to what electronic part was failing. The old man insisted the Optispark was bad and and said he wanted to "run diagnostics" on it. Without telling us, instead of running diagnostics, he decided to change it.

Well, this is the result:

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af274/therecluse_album/burnedpiston.jpg

This only the left side, piston #5...I have yet to remove the right side head to find out how bad that is....#3 and #7 also are bad, but not that bad....

He literally hammered the splined dowel that runs the timing in backwards and off time causing bad detonation....

SC2150
08-26-12, 02:39 PM
We keep a collection of similar from so called "tuning God" tuners and builders. Nice car though....clean for the year!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/RevXtreme1/RXCTSVsuperchiller006.jpg

hey8you
08-26-12, 02:56 PM
I loved the fact that someone at GM thought it was a good idea to mount it right behind the water pump.

Submariner409
08-26-12, 05:45 PM
Most so-called "tuners" have no more idea than a cootie what they're dealing with....... and the Internet pitchmen selling "horsepower and speed" are making a bundle from sheer buyer ignorance.

I loved the fact that someone at GM thought it was a good idea to mount it right behind the water pump.

Ford was mounting distributors on the front of the cam in the 1930's. So what's new ?

the recluse
08-26-12, 06:53 PM
Ford was mounting distributors on the front of the cam in the 1930's. So what's new ?
Yeah, and they prolly promptly quit before the '30's were up...GM finally got a clue and gave up on the LTx line up...

UPDATE:

After removing the other head, I found out the right side pistons were not as bad as the left...however, having said that, I ran the telescoping gauges down the cylinder walls and found them to be egg shaped...some out as bad as .040"...if it gets built it looks like it's going to be a 357...

I hope the crank isn't mangled...:banghead:

the recluse
08-26-12, 07:01 PM
Most so-called "tuners" have no more idea than a cootie what they're dealing with....... and the Internet pitchmen selling "horsepower and speed" are making a bundle from sheer buyer ignorance.

That's the odd part with this guy, he's been building and racing cars for 40 years...but he only deals with carbed engines...now I know why....

the recluse
08-26-12, 07:01 PM
double post

CadillacLuke24
08-26-12, 07:16 PM
At least my Dad won't even touch anything Fuel Injected in terms of repairs :D

Submariner409
08-26-12, 07:31 PM
Yeah, and they prolly promptly quit before the '30's were up.

Ummmm, No. The later 40's B-Block flatheads all had front mount distributors. IIRC the change to angled distributors on the front of the engine came in '49 ???

Here's a 1947 - built quite a few of these.......... both iron and aluminum heads (stock). Engine building was fun and instructional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NdrkHwBX5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=xLqH7eoZiT0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NdrkHwBX5U)

the recluse
08-26-12, 08:37 PM
Ummmm, No. The later 40's B-Block flatheads all had front mount distributors. IIRC the change to angled distributors on the front of the engine came in '49 ???

Looks like GM should've taken some pointers from Ford....lol...

dkozloski
08-26-12, 08:48 PM
Not only was the distributor in front, it was directly behind the radiator so the slightest water leak drowned it. That wasn't the worst part. The ignition system had a voltage dropping resistor and system voltage was only about 3 volt. If you took the resistor off you could raise the hood after dark with the engine running and it looked like a light show with sparks jumping everywhere from the sparkplug wires to ground until the points or coil burned up.

77CDV
08-26-12, 08:50 PM
Sounds like you had far too much time on your hands back then, Koz! :lol:

Ranger
08-26-12, 09:04 PM
That's the odd part with this guy, he's been building and racing cars for 40 years.
:hmm:

77CDV
08-26-12, 09:21 PM
That's the odd part with this guy, he's been building and racing cars for 40 years...but he only deals with carbed engines...now I know why....

This is what happens when you're a Luddite.

MrHolland
08-26-12, 10:45 PM
^^^ Great post!!!! I can hear the pitter- patter of Lil feet running to locate a dictionary,,, no wait,,,maybe that's the pecking of keys on keyboards.

The-Dullahan
08-27-12, 12:10 AM

The single greatest distributor mount was done by Cadillac on engines such as the 472/500. I cannot imagine a better layout than that. Practical and (This is a Rat Rod thing) it just looks cool.

the recluse
08-27-12, 02:08 AM
:hmm:

Notice I didn't say "winning", Ranger, merely racing...

and that Luddite comment was the bomb...I'd forgotten all about those people...

cadillac kevin
08-27-12, 10:24 AM
Notice I didn't say "winning", Ranger, merely racing...

and that Luddite comment was the bomb...I'd forgotten all about those people...

Don't they have their own show on national geographic or tlc?

brandondeleo
08-27-12, 11:07 AM
I say we create a variation of that and turn it into a show. Make the Amish work on and drive race cars.

77CDV
08-27-12, 03:47 PM
^^^ Great post!!!! I can hear the pitter- patter of Lil feet running to locate a dictionary,,, no wait,,,maybe that's the pecking of keys on keyboards.

I say we create a variation of that and turn it into a show. Make the Amish work on and drive race cars.

:lol:

orconn
08-27-12, 04:15 PM
Don't they have their own show on national geographic or tlc?

Those "Hutterites" on the National Geographioc show seem to be anything but Lusddites. From what I've seen on the show they seem to have every modern convenience and communications device currently available and seem to know how to uses these devices quite well!