: Will 2 bikes fit in a Vagon?

TXAG2004
08-26-12, 02:10 PM
Anyone try to fit 2 full size road bikes in the Vagon with the seats down? Contemplating a roof rack vs cram em inside...

1997BlackETC
08-26-12, 02:12 PM
I would certainly think so if you removed the front wheels on both bikes. Why not just put a small trailer hitch on the car though and put one of those removable bike racks on it? That way you won't risk scraping up your bikes and damaging the cars interior, especially if you corner fast and they slide around.

eyeballs19
08-26-12, 10:57 PM
No problem, but takes a little packing. I just got back from a 800 mile road trip to a bicycle race, and had a road bike, a TT bike, 2 spare wheels, a trainer, cooler, assorted tools, 2 helmets, food, and clothes for on and off the bike. And the passenger seat was empty. I take off one pedal to make one bike flatter (not needed but helpful with all that junk), pull the front wheels, put a packing blanket on top of one and stack them. Wheels go on top of the frames. Tons of room and I can see out the back with ease. These bikes are big, too (61cm).

For one bike, I don't even need to pull the front wheel unless I am carrying a full suspension 29" mountain bike-- then I need to pull the front off.

larry arizona
08-27-12, 08:41 PM
i would roof rack it on a Vagon.

TXAG2004
08-27-12, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the details. I may look into the rack as well.

cvs
08-28-12, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the details. I may look into the rack as well.

I have the factory cross bars with two Yakima fork mount trays attached. I had to mount them backwards because of the overhang over the rear hatch. The problem is the factory cross bars only mount in one position on the roof so you don't have much flexibility. The setup still works fine, just looks a little strange.

TXAG2004
08-29-12, 07:32 AM
Cvs -pictures? :)

cvs
08-30-12, 08:40 AM
Cvs -pictures? :)

TXAG2004
08-30-12, 11:24 PM
Much appreciated. I would not have thought to check for hatch clearance.

eyeballs19
09-01-12, 02:38 PM
The hatch clearance is a bit of an issue, but it depends on the rack design. While I always prefer to keep the bikes in the car, especially on a long trip, I sometimes use a Yakima attachment that secures via the front wheel and carries the bike upright (nice for a muddy mountain bike). That rack can slide forward and carry the bikes facing forward. My fork mount attachment, though, requires the bike to ride backwards.

Someday I might put on a receiver hitch if I can find one that doesn't mess up the back of the car.