: The 2012 CTS-V sedan I bought a couple months ago was in a accident before I got it

1997BlackETC
08-25-12, 05:08 PM
It only had 25 miles on it. The dealer I got it from got it from a lot in Yonkers NY and that dealer must have not disclosed to the dealer I bought it from that somebody must have backed into the right front fender. Looks like the fender was replaced, surprised I did not notice it sooner. The fender does not line up right with the hood was the first thing I noticed, took it to my body shop guy and he pointed out how there is black spots of paint around the bolts of the fender to try to cover up that they were removed and you can see where they are a little stripped. You figure you're buying something new that is new, not so. The real problem is the dealer where I bought the car from has no body shop. Looks like I'm going to have to pay my body shop guy the money to align things properly, he said he thinks he can do it for under a couple hundred bucks, then I'll take that bill back to the the selling dealer and try and get the money back for the repair. I'm not real happy about this. Some of these dealers should really have their franchises pulled by GM. The dealer I bought it from is the only Cadillac dealer in R.I at this point, if they go out there will be no Cadillac dealers in R.I. I guess I'll always wonder whether the Yonkers NY dealer disclosed the repair to my dealer in R.I and knocked some money off the price of the car none of which I ever saw. I actually over paid for the car too, it was 70.4K list and I paid 67K, looking back on it I think I could have done much better, the local dealer musta made at least 8 grand off me. Now I'm kinda sorry I did'nt get a wagon too, it would have been a lot more practial for me witht he amount of gear I haul around. Makes me really not want to ever buy an American car ever again, this sort of BS.

Next time I buy a new car I'll bring a body shop guy with me.

Wannago
08-25-12, 06:03 PM
When I was playing Jr. hockey many years ago, the team got me a part-time gig working in their dealership's body shop. I think many people would be surprised at how many new vehicles have had repairs done to them before they even hit the lot. Nothing major mind you, but definitely some bondo work and paint.

I'd try to hit your selling dealership up for some money back, or perhaps even have them replace the car. If a fender was replaced, that would indicate more than a little "transit damage".

I've had repairs done on several cars at some very good body shops, but I always find issues with the finish after a few years. eg. improperly prepared surfaces where the paint doesn't hold. Your sprayed bolts are a prime example. That won't last and in a couple years you'll be able to notice the difference. The finish on the hood hinges and associated hardware could also become noticable after time.

Sucks man...perhaps present this to the dealership's GM and let him know how dissatisfied you are and then see what he is willing to do for you. A buddy of mine bought a new BMW 135 and had it less than a week when he popped back into the dealership. One of the lot boys backed into his car, very gently rubbing the rear wheel opening. It didn't dent the panel, but gouged the paint so that it was beyond being buffable.

Without any issue at all they repaired it properly, then offered him a Dinan Stage 3, installed and everything. For some reason, he declined, but did get a Stage 2. That's BMW though....sadly, GM/Caddy will be much different. Perhaps Katie will offer to put your name on a list? LOL!

Sucks though, man! Good luck, report back.

extrabolts
08-25-12, 06:14 PM
If the dealer does not fully pay for the repairs, contact Cadillac directly. Selling a car as new that has been in an accident, however minor, is completely unacceptable. it may not have actually been wrecked, could have just been a scratch during the unloading process or something minor but I would still bring this to Cadillac's attention

baabootoo
08-25-12, 07:12 PM
Why not go back to the dealer and have them fix it at their preferred shop? I had a similar issue with my DTS, and they got it brand new looking.

FLTRI
08-25-12, 07:18 PM
I had a simular problem when I took delivery of my 2011 Vagon.

It was a dealer trade from Boston to Las Vegas. I had it about an hour when I noticed there was no "V" logo on the drivers door. A closer look found that the door had obviously been repainted. I took it right back to the dealer, and they apologized all over themselves, and said they would make it right. I told them that another re-piant was an unacceptable solution, for a car that had 20 miles on it and was sold as a brand new car.

They ended up removing an entire door from another brand new V, and putting it on my car. Took them two tries to get the door aligned perfectly, but they finally got it right. I didn't ask what happened to the donor car.

I was happy with that solution as there is no way to tell it was replaced, and the paint is factory paint...

1997BlackETC
08-25-12, 07:21 PM
If the dealer does not fully pay for the repairs, contact Cadillac directly. Selling a car as new that has been in an accident, however minor, is completely unacceptable. it may not have actually been wrecked, could have just been a scratch during the unloading process or something minor but I would still bring this to Cadillac's attention

Nope the fender on the passenger side has definately been off, you can tell by the fact all the nuts are slightly rounded and have wear marks from the socket on them on that side. To tell the truth though the paint on the fender looks fine and it matches fine, it's just around the inside of the fender under the hood where they blotched on black paint to try to cover up the nuts in a attempt to try and make the repair less noticable. The people at the dealer will not even return my calls. I had taken it there to show them and the mechanic there said it was not the hood that was out of alignment with the fender as I'd thought but it was the fender that was out of alignment with the hood. The Service writer woman said she would contact the body shop at one of their other dealers and now she will not call me back, have called her 3 times. I put in a call to the Sales manager and he is not calling me back either.

Like was said, if this was BMW or Mercedes it would have been handled much better, as it stands I'm on my own with this one. I really don't want it going to their other body shop because you look at the reviews of it and it's enough to scare anybody away. I'd more than likely need new rear tires, trans and engine after it was there for a while and I'm sure they'd have it there for a couple months or so. I'm too smart to fall for that sort of thing.

Here are the reviews of the body shop they would have me send it to if they would return my calls, lol. http://www.yelp.com/biz/herb-chambers-collision-center-braintree-braintree

1997BlackETC
08-25-12, 07:30 PM
Some poor unknowing other person must have got stuck with a repainted door on another car they sold as new. What a business the car sales business is, like I said, next time I'll go with Benz or a BMW, I've had way too much of this kind of thing happen with the American cars. The customer service just plain sucks. Ya, the internet GM girl will reply here. "Sir I am so very sorry for your troubles with your new Cadillac, I hope everything works out, again at cadillac we express our sincere apologies, thank you"

What a joke, I should really get on the phone with the attorney general on Monday. How many dealers does GM have to axe before this kind of crap stops. I know the dealer I bought the car from has a exclusive contract with GM in Rhode Island so they know there can be no competition for them, great!!!

I had a simular problem when I took delivery of my 2011 Vagon.

It was a dealer trade from Boston to Las Vegas. I had it about an hour when I noticed there was no "V" logo on the drivers door. A closer look found that the door had obviously been repainted. I took it right back to the dealer, and they apologized all over themselves, and said they would make it right. I told them that another re-piant was an unacceptable solution, for a car that had 20 miles on it and was sold as a brand new car.

They ended up removing an entire door from another brand new V, and putting it on my car. Took them two tries to get the door aligned perfectly, but they finally got it right. I didn't ask what happened to the donor car.

I was happy with that solution as there is no way to tell it was replaced, and the paint is factory paint...

FLTRI
08-25-12, 07:51 PM
I have to wonder if you'll do any better with the German brands. The problem is not the initial build quality, it's the dealerships. They all get their employees from the same gene pool, and in many cases the guy that owns the Cadillac dealer also owns the BMW & Merc franchise...

1997BlackETC
08-25-12, 08:10 PM
Ya, you are probabley right, around here Herb Chambers owns a lot of dealers, especially in MA. I was thinking about a Porsche Panamera before I bought the Caddy, he owns that dealer too. Guess I'm just blowing off steam. It coulda happened with any car, it just sucks the way the dealer has handled this issue enough to make me never go back there again. There is another Caddy dealer in MA that is only around ten miles further, I probably will try them for the next service I need on the car.

I have full confidence that my friend who owns the body shop will be able to get things lined up right and repaint around the bolts the same grey as the rest of the car rather than black. He told me he can do this for under a couple hundred bucks and then the repair should not be noticable to all but a professional body shop guy.

Johnxlrv
08-25-12, 08:44 PM
I would hope that GM would take notice here. GM stock is not worth half of what the government paid during the bailout.

I am on my second day at the Sonoma raceway at the Cadillac VIP area, listing at the eloquent speeches about how Cadillac's vision to produce the best American car that will beat the foreign competition. Sounds good and perhaps those folks believe it.

Yet they place their reputation in the hands of unscrupulous dealerships who would screw the loyal Cadillac customer...

GM...if there is hope of a recovery, you should act on this!

1997BlackETC
08-25-12, 09:11 PM
What gets me is they raved so much about their multi-point car inspection before the car was delivered. If their inspection was so great how'd the car get out like this with black paint dabs over the nuts (around 1 inch circles of black paint x 5 spots) and the hood sticking up higher than the fender on the passenger side at the backside of the hood?. Partly my fault because I did not really look into it enough, I did notice right away that there was a creaking sound coming from there when I drove it early on right after I got it. You push your hand on the rear upper part of the fender and there is the same creaking noise as when you hit bumps in the road. I'll have to live with that noise the rest of my Cadillac ownership experience because the under $200.00 body repair I'm getting is only going to address the paint dabs and lining up the hood with the fender. I wondered why they gave me no paperwork when I brought the car in to complain of this problem along with the center speaker grill not being seated right (that was a easy fix the mechanic just pushed it back down) that is why though, because they did not want a paper trail.

The salesman who sold me the car seemed like Mafia, he was fired though around a month after I bought the car they told me so at least that is one step in the right direction. Ya, they really gotta clean up their act with these dealers.

1997BlackETC
08-25-12, 09:35 PM
Just wanted to post this link again for the review of their body center for all to see including anyone from GM http://www.yelp.com/biz/herb-chambers-collision-center-braintree-braintree It's crazy because this body shop is around a hour drive from the dealer I bought the car from as they do not even have their own body shop there. No way in heck am I giving them the key to my car to drive to this god forsaken place to never be seen again for the next couple of months or so, I'd have to be crazy, I did not spend nearly 70 grand on a car for this sort of thing. Just look at the reviews. These are legit people who did these reviews too, I checked that out. Take note GM!!!

turbol15
08-26-12, 12:26 AM
was the dealership PEPE's in yonkers?

1997BlackETC
08-26-12, 12:43 AM
Yes that's where the car came from and I suspect it was hit on the lot there and then the mickey mouse repair was done at Pepe's. I really doubt they disclosed the damage to Herb Chambers, if they did and worked a cheaper deal with Herb Chambers that was really low of Chambers to pass it off to me the way it is without telling me about the damage. It is possible too the car was damaged on the drive back from NY to RI, Herb Chambers Cadillac picked the car up from Pepes. I think this is unlikely because it was only around a day from when the car got back to RI that I picked it up, they more than likely woulda need to stall me in picking it up to do the fender change.

Did anybody happen to see this car on the lot at Pepe's? It was there for about 5 months from Dec 2011 to June 2012, I think it was tough for them to sell because it does not have the recaro seats, it is thunder gray with a ebony interior.

FLTRI
08-26-12, 02:05 AM
Ya, you are probabley right, around here Herb Chambers owns a lot of dealers, especially in MA...

Now there's irony. My Vagon (damaged) came from Herb Chambers. He basically screwed my local dealer, sent them a damaged car, and told them to suck it when my Caddi franchise sent them a coupe in trade to get the car I wanted.

Here's the thread on my issues with this dealer: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/239496-finally-got-my-v-im-sick.html

MSOsr
08-26-12, 08:45 AM
I don't know about your state, but Florida has a statute that requires disclosure of repairs to a car sold as new, so long as the cost of the repair exceeds a certain percent of the MSRP of the car. [off the top of my head, I don't remember the percent number]. In other words, if the repair is $300 on a $70,000 car, there probably is no requirement that the $300 repair be disclosed.

Mike

larry arizona
08-26-12, 11:29 AM
In the assembly plant they have a repair line so many of our factory fresh cars have been repaired already, either from paint flaws, ie drips, fisheyes,dirt in paint, dings,dents,scratches that all have occured in the assembly process. Not a big deal as long as its repaired right.

As long as it does not show up on a carfax who cares as long as its reparied right. If the fender is misaligned take it back and WAIT for it to be aligned, maybe an hour.......

1997BlackETC
08-26-12, 01:32 PM
FLTRI, Glad you got your car squared away. Herb Chambers use to be a really good dealer, but I'm going to the 80's and 90's when I say that. I bought a few caddys from them over the years and never really had any issues. I guess I'll never really know who was at fault with this issue I'd had, but it shoulda been caught when or before they took delivery of the car from NY. I'm pretty sure they knew about it because one of the salesman I'd never met before came out a week ago when I was looking at the fender in front of the dealer and said to me "Push really hard to get this fixed and don't back down" it was obvious he's seen this kind of thing before, he knows who he works for and has seen the other things they have done to customers in the past I'm willing to bet.

Anyhow, the guy who is going to line up the hood with the fender is very capable and I'm sure it will all turn out ok.

I threw a coat of wax on the car yesterday just to take a close look at things to make sure there were no other issues and everything seems fine. I really question whether or not the right front fender was even painted because there are no signs of color difference, runs, etc. Maybe they pulled a fender off another car like they did with your door, who knows?

1997BlackETC
08-27-12, 12:47 PM
The dealer won't call me back, neither the sales manager nor the service manager. What a sleezy dealership. Everybody is right about Herb Chambers, never again. Good thing I have a good friend who owns a body shop to help me get this problem squared away. We are going to drop the hood down a little on the passenger side and re-paint around the bolts that hold the fender on with the proper thunder gray paint so there will not be those rings of black paint that there currently is. We are going to try and address the creaking sound the fender makes too when you press on it, it looks like that chrome vent moulding is a little loose too so we will fix that also.

Karch
08-27-12, 04:22 PM
I'd file something with BBB, BAR, state AG, and small claims. Just give them hell. Also, find out the name of the district manager at GM and Cadillac, and someone higher up in dealer relations.

This is the only way to get rid of bad people in the industry.

If you have the time, you can make a difference, IMO. It's just a matter of how much fight you have within.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-27-12, 06:59 PM
The dealer won't call me back, neither the sales manager nor the service manager. What a sleezy dealership. Everybody is right about Herb Chambers, never again. Good thing I have a good friend who owns a body shop to help me get this problem squared away. We are going to drop the hood down a little on the passenger side and re-paint around the bolts that hold the fender on with the proper thunder gray paint so there will not be those rings of black paint that there currently is. We are going to try and address the creaking sound the fender makes too when you press on it, it looks like that chrome vent moulding is a little loose too so we will fix that also.
1997BlackETC, I can definitely understand how this could be frustrating for you, and I'm really sorry to hear about your concerns so far. If you would like me to follow-up with your dealership for you or begin an official service request (case) for your concern, please send me a direct message anytime!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

thebigjimsho
08-29-12, 10:59 AM
Now there's irony. My Vagon (damaged) came from Herb Chambers. He basically screwed my local dealer, sent them a damaged car, and told them to suck it when my Caddi franchise sent them a coupe in trade to get the car I wanted.

Here's the thread on my issues with this dealer: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-general-discussion/239496-finally-got-my-v-im-sick.html

Yep, I'm glad I go to Olsen Cadillac. I wouldn't deal with Herb Chambers if they were the only game in town. They are too big to fail, therefore they don't sweat the small stuff.

1997BlackETC
09-02-12, 12:55 PM
I have a appointment to have it lined up right Sept 4th and will have to pay myself. I was hoping they would work with me on trading it in on a new wagon (it's a sedan and not enough space inside) but they would not do that either. I would never ever deal with those clowns again at Herb Chambers Cadillac in Warwick RI. You don't expect to buy a new car with a replaced fender, heck if I'd known that was the case I would have just bought a used car. It should have been disclosed, they knew the fender had been replaced. I did not know until I was looking under the hood one day and realized it was not lined up right and took it back to them and that's when they told me it was the fender and then would not call me back. The not calling me back and ignoring me was what really bothered me, no apologies or anything. I'm going to get a sticker across the bumper on the car saying "Do not buy from Herb Chambers" for what they did to me. This whole thing is going to cost them a lot of money and hopefully eventually they will go out of business.