Cadillac Owners Forum banner

AFL Issues, need advice

18K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
I will try to keep this brief; this has been going on for about two months now.

I started my car the one evening and as everybody knows how the headlights sweep back and forth, well the driver headlight did not sweep and I got a service AFL warning. Shut the car off and started it back up, same thing but the service AFL was off now. I leave and as I am driving I notice that it's turning left but it does not turn right. All the while the passenger headlight is working fine. Off to the dealer we went.

Dealer kept the car for four days and finally called and says it is a power/ground issue internally in the headlight so I need a new one. They order one and replace the entire headlamp assembly and tell me it is good to go. Well, due to work and travel schedules, I was not able to verify that everything was good until recently. Started my car early one morning to go to the office and guess what, still the same issue! Back to the dealer I went.

Of course they cannot explain why it still is not working because it is a "brand new" assembly and they try to tell me that is how it operates from the factory. Well, I tell the service guy to go find another car with active lamps so I could do a side by side and prove my point but oddly enough there was not another car there with active lamps. They wanted to keep it another week (they were backed up, very comforting) to see if it was a faulty part, a body module, a wiring issue, the way the stars align in the sky, who freaking knows. I did not let them keep it and I left before I blew a head gasket.

I guess my first question is, since it is a re-check do I have to take it to the same dealer or can I take it to another? It kind of pissed me off that they just tried to blow me off and make it out like there was no problem. I have used this same dealer when I had my first CTS, my STS and now this CTS and never had issues with them. Second question is, can I disable the AFL system? If it ain't going to work right, it's not going to work at all in my book. I highly doubt anybody else would notice it but the little things bug the hell out of me. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
My experience with the dealership whom I purchased my car from was, if they could not fix it , then it became normal condition and needed no repair. I found a dealership that really put fourth an effort and came up with a fix every time I had a problem. The technicians would come and explain in detail what they did, and why it was did to correct the problem . This is a Cadillac, Buick and GMC dealership. They are much nicer than a dealership that just does Cadillacs. Just my opinion, only. I will keep driving the 75 mile roundtrip for their service.

#4 · (Edited)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Second question is, can I disable the AFL system? If it ain't going to work right, it's not going to work at all in my book. I highly doubt anybody else would notice it but the little things bug the hell out of me. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
09ThunderGray - sorry to hear about the AFL system problem you're facing, and the way in which the dealer is handling the problem. From everything you've mentioned it sounds like there's a fault with your BCM (Body Control Module) - either software or hardware.
Re your question #2 - Per the owner's manual.. in order to enable AFL the exterior lamp switch on the multifunction lever must be set to the AUTO position. Moving the switch out of the AUTO position will deactivate the system. If you wish to disable AFL for the time being you'll have to move the exterior lamp switch from the 'AUTO' position to the 'Headlamps ON' position for nighttime driving.
Good luck with the issue. Do you know if the dealer has tried re-flashing the programming on the BCM?

#5 ·
09ThunderGray, you may certainly try an alternative dealership whenever you wish, and please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you'd like me to locate alternative dealers near you or follow up with whatever dealership you choose. I can definitely appreciate your frustrations and am always on hand via email if you'd like to discuss your next step possibilities.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.