: Ok, I now Officially love the ATS

Johnxlrv
08-25-12, 10:24 AM
OK, all of the local dealer orders for the new ATS flowed into the Cadillac Corral (about twenty!) at the Sonoma Raceway yesterday for detailing for a parade prior to delivery. Despite the fact that only black, and pearl white were the colors of choice in terms of orders, it was awesome to at least sit in all of the model offerings and talk to Cadillac about the performance and handing. Other than sort of limited spacing in the rear, I felt the interior was top notch, seats felt wonderful.

Now to test drive a 3.6l

Unless some are willing to wait for the performance variant in about a year and a half, it looks like a strong 3 series contender here!

brandondeleo
08-25-12, 10:26 AM
:cloud9:

Johnxlrv
08-25-12, 10:57 AM
Some photobucket-hosted photos

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/Cadillac%20Racing%20Event/New%20ATS/6f93921e.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/Cadillac%20Racing%20Event/New%20ATS/37e753c3.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/Cadillac%20Racing%20Event/New%20ATS/1f3e1a8b.jpg

truckinman
08-25-12, 11:20 AM
I think I like that WAY more than the XTS! I liked the XTS while it was being all hyped up b4 it was actually at the dealers. But now that I'm seeing them on person, I just don't care much for them. I sure wouldn't trade my STS for one. Ever since I went to the 2005 Dayton ohio auto show and saw the new (at the time) STS, I knew one day I'd have to buy one when I had the means. And my opinion on the styling of that gen STS, has never weakened even tho I see mine every day. Never gets old.

But the XTS has already gotten old to me. Lol.

brandondeleo
08-25-12, 11:49 AM
I'll have to get my hands on both an XTS and an ATS.

bigm57ict
08-25-12, 11:57 AM
Looks nice!
But I sure am getting tired of alphabet soup.
Stir it up and see what the next model will be called...

brandondeleo
08-25-12, 11:58 AM
The ASS? :lol:

Johnxlrv
08-25-12, 12:03 PM

Only if it has those vibrating seats...O.o

RippyPartsDept
08-25-12, 12:06 PM
the flagship is supposedly going to be called the LTS ... GM has registered the name at least
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/06/gm-trademarks-cadillac-lts/

Atswatcher
08-25-12, 12:58 PM

You mean auto stop and start?:)

To OP, how many ordered ATSs are 3.6L, 2.0T and 2.5L percentage wise?

vincentm
08-25-12, 03:03 PM
Still not impressed by it, the XTS, or the DEA, ABC, XYZ, or whatever S they put out, its clean looking and can't completely judge it without having driven it of course, but to me it just doesn't scream Cadillac...

My $0.02

orconn
08-25-12, 03:25 PM
To most of the world THIS screams Cadillac!

orconn
08-25-12, 03:28 PM
I am ready to move on to something new in the way of a Cadillac, just not motivated to own a Cadillac that mimics the worst trends in contemporary auto design! Maybe the LTS will fill the bill.

hueterm
08-25-12, 05:52 PM
Saw one today on I-44, between Springfield and St. Louis. It was that terrible butterscotch color, but the car itself looked awesome in motion. It looked longer than it actually is. PLUS -- it was cloudy/raining out, and the LEDs look really nice running up the fenders.

investor74
08-25-12, 06:38 PM
I am ready to move on to something new in the way of a Cadillac, just not motivated to own a Cadillac that mimics the worst trends in contemporary auto design! Maybe the LTS will fill the bill.

Could you elaborate on what you mean? What trend are you talking about? Thanks.

Kad4Life
08-25-12, 07:57 PM
That headlight treatment is fugly and makes no design sense IMO .

Kad

77CDV
08-25-12, 07:59 PM
the flagship is supposedly going to be called the LTS ... GM has registered the name at least

As long as they don't call it the LTD. :lol:

Johnxlrv
08-25-12, 08:05 PM
Perhaps, lets just make a Cadillac that sounds like Pilgrims...

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/Cadillac%20Racing%20Event/th_b9f7d41d.jpg (http://s1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/Cadillac%20Racing%20Event/?action=view&current=b9f7d41d.mp4)

Other shots from today:

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/Cadillac%20Racing%20Event/8eab58ca.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/Cadillac%20Racing%20Event/d20d8f4a.jpg
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh560/Johnxlrv/Cadillac%20Racing%20Event/a1fdd045.jpg

But it seems that rumor may suggest a twin turbo 3.6L, 2 door version by 2015. Should be a screamer

orconn
08-25-12, 09:03 PM
Could you elaborate on what you mean? What trend are you talking about? Thanks.

The narrow window, high sided, rear seat headroom robbing four door "coupe" styling ..... you haven't noticed this look on about every new model out their!

hueterm
08-25-12, 09:13 PM
The ATS, it's small, but to me it doesn't look like a four door coupe

investor74
08-25-12, 09:21 PM
The narrow window, high sided, rear seat headroom robbing four door "coupe" styling ..... you haven't noticed this look on about every new model out their!

Thanks. I know exactly what you mean. My thoughts are if every car has that trend, I may as well buy a car that looks as good as the ATS!

orconn
08-25-12, 11:26 PM
^^^ Whatever floats your boat!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-26-12, 10:54 AM
Can't wait to see one of these in person!

ryannel2003
08-26-12, 02:49 PM
I think Cadillac should go back to building really large cars like the Fleetwoods... ya know the ones that float down the road? I also think that from this point on they should also be building FWD-only cars with large V8's in the front and have interiors that fall apart at the touch. They shouldn't be trying to compete with BMW or Mercedes... the only competitor that should matter to Cadillac is Lincoln!

vincentm
08-26-12, 05:03 PM
I think Cadillac should go back to building really large cars like the Fleetwoods... ya know the ones that float down the road? I also think that from this point on they should also be building FWD-only cars with large V8's in the front and have interiors that fall apart at the touch. They shouldn't be trying to compete with BMW or Mercedes... the only competitor that should matter to Cadillac is Lincoln!

So Cadillac shouldn't compete with German auto makers because they can't?

EChas3
08-26-12, 05:49 PM
Sarcasm rarely works in print.

ryannel2003
08-26-12, 05:59 PM
What I'm trying to say is that everybody has an opinion as to what Cadillac should be doing because they feel like they know what Cadillac should be. Simply put, Cadillac is doing the very best they can with the hand they have been given. Let's not forget that only 3 years ago GM went through a very public bankruptcy and they are just now getting back on their feet with delivering products for the brand. I think instead of criticizing what they are doing we should all be happy that we are getting new product at all. I personally think Cadillac would've been better off if another company had bought them anyway, as we all know GM's focus hasn't really been with the brand for years now. The so-called "renaissance" in the early 2000's failed as the products were good, but not good enough to knock the German's off their pedestal. GM concentrated hard on the engines and platforms but failed with interior quality and substance, two very important things in the luxury car class.

The ATS is a class leading car, and I think if this generation proves to be a hit the next one might be able to knock the 3-Series off the top spot that it's held on to for over 30+ years.

truckinman
08-26-12, 06:23 PM
I can't ever see Cadillac knocking the 3 series off the top of the list for that class any time soon. They can come close, ive no doubt. But there's a reason the 3 series hasn't been beatin for 30+ years. And they only continue to get better.

Cadillac is simply doing what every automaker in the universe is doing. Trying to make what everybody wants. Same thing happened in the jeep forums I belong to when the compass came out. Of course 95% of us hated it. But we were all tradition jeep folk. But really the 95% of us on the forum only account for 3% of all the consumers that like the fact jeep made the compass. That's why it was made. Jeep was trying to satisfy the consumer. Just as Cadillac is doing. Its all about bringing in the sales.

But Cadillac has a LOT of catching up to do if they wanna knock the 3 series off it's pedestal. Don't get me wrong, I love my STS. I'm just throwing our my .02.

ryannel2003
08-26-12, 06:45 PM
The 3-Series, from what i've read has lost some of the "spark" that the older models had. However the press said the same damn thing when they went from the E46 to E90. What's hurting the new car is the electric steering as it lacks feel. I'll reserve judgement until I drive the new model first. I adore my E46 for different reasons that I adored my STS. The BMW is a tighter feeling car (duh) and I think the styling is more "classic" BMW than my Seville was. However, there was no better road car than the Seville. The seats, the ride, the power, and the stereo just made it perfect for going on trips. I haven't had my BMW on a long trip, but the seats aren't great.

I think the ATS is gorgeous. I can't wait to see one in person.

truckinman
08-26-12, 06:54 PM
You know, my fiancÚ thinks the seats in my STS are to hard. She said on the 2 long trips we've had it on since I bought it that they make her antsy. Lol. I like em. But she said the seats in my 98 Lexus ES300 were more comfortable on the 24 hr round trip we made in that a few months ago. Ive never ridden in the generation STS you had tho. Maybe they had softer seats? Lol. I don't know. But ice actually noticed my STS is so comfy on long trips, I xan drive thru a whole tank of gas, roughly 400 miles, b4 I feel anxious to get out. Hell, she drives a Saturn Ion and those seats are HORRIBLY stiff. Lol.

But the trip that made her feel the antsiest was a 7 hr drive that she's never made with anyone b4. She had always driven it herself. So I'm guessing that's why she was so antsy. Was simply bc she's never sat shotgun on that trip. Bc she wasn't as uncomfy on our 9 hr drive a couple weeks ago. But either way I love it. Lol

Atswatcher
08-26-12, 06:56 PM
Last month Infiniti G came very close to knocking 3 off the top of the list. Then a week ago WSJ reported that back in July, BMW offered dealers up to $7k trunk money if they could register an additional sale on 7/31. Without that accounting trick, the 3 could have been knocked off already.

GM clearly has no illusion ATS will knock the 3 out any time soon, if ever. But the mere fact ATS being a formidable new entry in the segment directly competing with 3, can easily open the door for other brands to get to the top.

With that said, BMW isn't going to just sit there. Aside from the trick played above, BMW has a lot other things in their sleeves they can pull. They just started a new program to let you order various M Performance parts, to be factored into lease payment. The parts are installed after the cars arrive at the port, and after EPA inspections.

They will try to stay one step ahead of the game. The question is, has GM changed enough to have as quick a reaction time?

ryannel2003
08-26-12, 07:02 PM
You know, my fiancÚ thinks the seats in my STS are to hard. She said on the 2 long trips we've had it on since I bought it that they make her antsy. Lol. I like em. But she said the seats in my 98 Lexus ES300 were more comfortable on the 24 hr round trip we made in that a few months ago. Ive never ridden in the generation STS you had tho. Maybe they had softer seats? Lol. I don't know. But ice actually noticed my STS is so comfy on long trips, I xan drive thru a whole tank of gas, roughly 400 miles, b4 I feel anxious to get out. Hell, she drives a Saturn Ion and those seats are HORRIBLY stiff. Lol.

But the trip that made her feel the antsiest was a 7 hr drive that she's never made with anyone b4. She had always driven it herself. So I'm guessing that's why she was so antsy. Was simply bc she's never sat shotgun on that trip. Bc she wasn't as uncomfy on our 9 hr drive a couple weeks ago. But either way I love it. Lol

My BMW has so called "leatherette" seats (aka vinyl) and it's not the hardness that I dislike it's just the shape of the seat. I should've bought a car with the sports seats that are more adjustable, but it's ok because I don't drive the car for long distances that much. Plus, the heated seats help cure my backaches after awhile.

The seats in the Seville were very soft and very cushy... much like big lounge chairs. I loved them, but they weren't designed to hold you in corners either. The leather was very soft and rich looking and even before the wreck I had 116k miles on that car and the seats looked new. I've had various people tell me the car looked like it had rolled off the showroom floor. Excellent vehicle and it will always be my favorite!

Johnxlrv
08-26-12, 07:03 PM
ATS steering...I believe it has excellent feedback. It was fun asking the "neither confirm or deny" question from the techs. With the ATS at least 500 pounds lighter than its CTS counterpart, when they introduce the 2 door version (pretty much confirmed) and the performance variant with a twin turbo 3.6...(neither confirm or deny...but with the wink) I expect to see some excitement both on the GT track and on the street.

Spent the last three days at Sonoma with the dealer ordered cars on the Cadillac Corral and can only base the steering feedback from the techs who designed...road feedback was a variable that they believe they nailed. With the weight distribution almost 50/50, and a entry price of 34k, this vehicle is just what Cadillac and GM in general needs.

BTW, nice job with Johnny and Andy nailing the top 2 positions (and keeping Porsche shut down) as well as the manufacturer award...winning at the track and on the street.

orconn
08-26-12, 07:03 PM
Actually to the taste of many BMW lovers the 3 series has only gotten worse over the years. I know, I know blasphemy! But as a "driver's car" the 3 series has continue on its' path to to ungainly weight tempered only by the adoption of more and more complicated (and expensive) fuel delivery systems. For many who enjoy a "real" driving experience, BMW has added more and more equipment that not only adds weight but separates the driver further and further from a "real" driving experience.

The 3 series still delivers an enjoyable driving experience to those who are buying the hype, but really want "entry level" luxury and the prestige of ownership. They still have "hot" performers available to those who don't mind sacrificing comfortable day to day driving and are willing to pay a high price for the experience of owning pinnacle of factory performance.

Given what the BMW 3 series has become, Cadillac with its' new ATS should not have a difficult time equaling the performance of the entry level BMW 3 series cars. But convincing a segment of the marketplace more impressed with media hype and out worn prestige, it will be awhile before American "upwardly mobiles" will replace the sure thing of BMW 3 series prestige with a car still carrying a negative image among their piers.

ryannel2003
08-26-12, 07:22 PM
Actually to the taste of many BMW lovers the 3 series has only gotten worse over the years. I know, I know blasphemy! But as a "driver's car" the 3 series has continue on its' path to to ungainly weight tempered only by the adoption of more and more complicated (and expensive) fuel delivery systems. For many who enjoy a "real" driving experience, BMW has added more and more equipment that not only adds weight but separates the driver further and further from a "real" driving experience.

The 3 series still delivers an enjoyable driving experience to those who are buying the hype, but really want "entry level" luxury and the prestige of ownership. They still have "hot" performers available to those who don't mind sacrificing comfortable day to day driving and are willing to pay a high price for the experience of owning pinnacle of factory performance.

Given what the BMW 3 series has become, Cadillac with its' new ATS should not have a difficult time equaling the performance of the entry level BMW 3 series cars. But convincing a segment of the marketplace more impressed with media hype and out worn prestige, it will be awhile before American "upwardly mobiles" will replace the sure thing of BMW 3 series prestige with a car still carrying a negative image among their piers.

Many consider the E46 the pinnacle of the 3 Series. I can understand why.

orconn
08-26-12, 08:40 PM
There always seems to be a group of BMW fans lamenting the demise of a former BMW model, and claiming that the previous model was superior more to the "ideal" of an "ultimate driving machine!" I well remember the uproar and beating of chests that took place when the 2002 of the seventies was replaced by the bigger, heavier, less spirited (of course dummies you make it heavier what did you think would happen!) 3 series of the early eighties. "Those things are pigs!" screamed the devotees of the 2002.

With each intervention between the driver directly steering the car and the car being steering through intermediary assists you lose something of the feel of a real "driving machine."

gary88
08-26-12, 08:44 PM
My BMW has so called "leatherette" seats (aka vinyl) and it's not the hardness that I dislike it's just the shape of the seat. I should've bought a car with the sports seats that are more adjustable, but it's ok because I don't drive the car for long distances that much. Plus, the heated seats help cure my backaches after awhile.

The seats in the Seville were very soft and very cushy... much like big lounge chairs. I loved them, but they weren't designed to hold you in corners either. The leather was very soft and rich looking and even before the wreck I had 116k miles on that car and the seats looked new. I've had various people tell me the car looked like it had rolled off the showroom floor. Excellent vehicle and it will always be my favorite!

Find some used sport seats, they'll be worth every penny honestly. I've sat in my fair share of non-sport seats and they're like park benches in comparison.

Atswatcher
08-26-12, 09:17 PM
BMW has added more and more equipment that not only adds weight but separates the driver further and further from a "real" driving experience.

The new 3 series actually lost some weight compared to the 2011 models. All brands add more equipment, ATS probably has more "equipment" than the new 3. But the new 3 does get bigger in size, and it lost two most praised assets, the legendary N/A I6 engine, and the hydraulic steering.

The weight and weight distribution of the 3 and ATS are so close neither can claim superiority over the other.

ryannel2003
08-26-12, 09:29 PM
Find some used sport seats, they'll be worth every penny honestly. I've sat in my fair share of non-sport seats and they're like park benches in comparison.

I've thought about it more than once. I'm thinking I might go that route eventually, but I was even thinking of just keeping this one a year or so and then getting a newer E46 with more power.

Kad4Life
08-26-12, 10:42 PM
There always seems to be a group of BMW fans lamenting the demise of a former BMW model, and claiming that the previous model was superior amid more to the "ideal" of an "ultimate driving machine!" I well remember the uproar and beating of chests that took place when the 2002 of the seventies was replaced by the bigger, heavier, less spirited (of course dummies you make it heavier what did you think would happen!) 3 series of the early eighties. "Those things are pigs!" screamed the devotees of the 2002.

With each intervention between the driver directly steering the car and the car being steering through intermediary assists you lose something of the feel of a real "driving machine."

I bought a 1970 2002 brand new; it handled great, but it was a mechanical nightmare what with the driveshaft carrier bearing needing to be replaced every 7-8K miles, a shimmy at 55 mph that no one could fix, ever. and the American emissions control stuff added .
On Summer days when you parked the gas would evaporate out of the carb .
I carried a piece of neoprene wetsuit for when this happened; pull off the air filter, slap the rubbah over the carb to restart ........

My first and last Bee Em Vee .
And I sold a '64 356C to buy the fvkker .....
Color me young and dumb . :thepan:

Yes, I'm bitter .

Kad

Jesda
08-26-12, 11:54 PM
I thought the shape of the seats in the E46 were quite comfy. Nice and supportive on road trips. Not a great place for the passenger to doze off and nap, but they were fine for keeping the driver alert and aware.

I was also quite a bit fatter back when I drove an E46.

orconn
08-27-12, 12:18 AM
Jesda, you should plunk down you new svelte self in a BMW or other Germanic seat and see how it feels now. I have always had a problem with the hardness of German seats, first thing I did after taking delivery of my 2002 Mercedes CLK was get a set of thick shearling seat covers on the damn seats. This was, most assuredly not for cosmetic reasons, but to provide some padding and hopefully a little comfort. I have never been particularly well padded in the posterior, so it may just be me, but I would be interested if you now find a different in comfort of German seats now that you are less well padded.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-12, 12:37 AM
I found the seats in my S320 firm, but very supportive and never had any qualms on any of the Chicago trips I made in it.

Jesda
08-27-12, 12:58 AM
Jesda, you should plunk down you new svelte self in a BMW or other Germanic seat and see how it feels now.

Definitely very firm. The seats in the Crossfire were the same way, but over long distances they were great for circulation and alertness.

The best compromise, to me, is the firm but spring-supported seat in older MBs or in the Lexus LS400.

talismandave
08-27-12, 02:49 AM

LTS.

I can handle that, I have been "steeled" by almost thirty years of Cadillac disappointments. As to the ATS the car looks very nice and the interior looks great. But then, so do many similar cars from many manufacturers. Ho hum.
If I were in the market for a mid-full sized car, I would probably buy one. Or a Hyundai.

As to the alphabet soup, it at least amuses me while I drive and see them. Making up acronyms from them and adding the "missing" letter(s). One of my favorites is Toyota Racing Division's TRD sticker. Just missing the U.

brandondeleo
08-27-12, 04:50 AM
I drove an old BMW 2002 once... One of the smallest things I've ever driven. It sure was fun, though. It was a total slug, but once I threw it into some corners it was an absolute blast.

thebigjimsho
08-27-12, 10:22 AM
The ATS, it's small, but to me it doesn't look like a four door coupeI know what orconn means. The V1 had a very conventional sedan shape. Look at a gen 2 CTS and the canopy sweeps further back and the trunklid is very small in comparison...

thebigjimsho
08-27-12, 10:31 AM
I drove an old BMW 2002 once... One of the smallest things I've ever driven. It sure was fun, though. It was a total slug, but once I threw it into some corners it was an absolute blast.My parents still have their '72. It is the purest handling car I've ever driven. You know what all 4 contact patches are doing at all times...