Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  oldgamer 
#1 ·
hey i just bought a 97 eldorado and i love it! love the power, style, comfort...everything, but.....i wana over ride the speed limiter and get some more power. does anyone have link where i can get an awsome chip or just a link where i can get performance parts for it? thanks

#2 ·
im not the big expert on the N* on here as some, but from what i understand, you're pretty much stuck with the power you have now. i don't think they have burned any chips for the 96' N* and later, as they are OBD2 systems and are not really "hackable" as of yet.

a lot of people here have done an exhaust, and i think there is a K&N kit for the N*, but not too sure. i think a couple of people have even had some giggle gas on their N*, but i would be real careful with that.

also, which N* do you have? the ETC (300 hp), or the ESC (275 hp)? either one will go WELL over 140 i do believe.

#3 ·
You can't get chips for your car because it uses OBDII. There are a few website that have some parts, but not much for the engine. Your best bet is exhaust and transmission work. I'm planning on a high stall torque converter with a Positraction differential. Other than that, there isn't much. Here are some sites that I've found.

http://www.rsmracing.com

http://www.domesticperformance.com

http://www.converter.cc/

Those the major sites.

What model Eldorado is it.

#5 ·
I also just picked up a new eldorado, a 1998 esc with 275 horsepower. It runs hard and strong but has a limiter at 118. I would like to get rid of it also. Could we use a different cadillac engine computer to override it or is there something in the engine diagnostic where we can disable it or raise it. The car has alot of motor and i want to let loose and see what it will top out at. There are options out there for making more power. I know of several nortstars running around with superchargera but they are all custom made, no off the shelf parts.

#6 ·
i believe i got the 275 eldorado. and that does suck bout the no chips as of yet and im sure there is another reason for that besides it obdll cause there are plenty of cars and trucks that are obdll with mega chips. Along another line, has anyone heard of a reprogramer, as with the LS1 and other F body style gm products? Also i have looked at the intake of my eldorado and it seems kinda restrictive making it pull the air around the pcm in such a tight area. anyone done any rerouting of the intake tube? and whats the most common exhuast use with this car?

#7 ·
ok you guys were sayin there isnt too much out there because of the car being newer than 96 and obdII so whats out there for obd 1 cars like my 94 seville? ihave been to chrm, i think, website and they do some sweet stuff but what else is there for the older n*'s???

#8 ·
I've got a K&N that only has a few thousand miles on it...cleaned and re-oiled now...if any of ya want it, it'll be cheap and I still have the box and the warranty info...make an offer!

#9 ·
cart69, you can call XMS Racing and see if you can special order their supercharger for OBDI cars. I don't know if they are still making them (not much of a market for it), but if the price is right, I'm sure they'll do it for you. All you need is a different chip to go with it. They probably would supply you with that. As for the speed limiter, I think they reflash the PCM with the code for the cars with the Z-rated option. They were limited to 150mph. Nothing from chrfab will work in a street car. Your best bet, is to get a high stall tourque converter and a positraction differential. I'm planning on getting both by early spring. They will really improve your acceleration and traction off the line. The problem with doing any performance modifications on an OBDII car, is that you need the right equipment. The company that makes the Tech 2 diagnostic tool, also make a similar device that can reflash OBDII PCM's. It's a few thousand dollars, not really worth it in the long run. This is the link-

http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/sps.html

There are a few companies that have reprogramming software for engines like the LT1, LS1, LS6,...ect, but nothing for the N*. They could do it, it's just that there aren't enough people (that they know of) that are willing to buy such a product for a Cadillac. It would cost them more to develop it, than they would get back in sales. Most companies are now working on the LS2 in the new Corvette anyway. There are other car out there that may be OBDII and have removable chips, but Cadillac is not one of them. The chips in the OBDII PCM's in our cars are soldered directly to the board. This means that you have to use a diagnostic tool to reprogram it.

#10 ·
I read on another site about some guy who disconnected the air filter intake box from the PCM box to add his own cold air set-up. The purpose of the factory set-up is to keep water out of the PCM, and draw the hot air developed by the PCM away from it so it won't overheat and blow the control chip. This is good for the computer, but as we all know, bad for performance. Instead of risking having to buy a very expensive PCM by eliminating the cooling of the factory design, I drilled a couple dozen 1/8" holes through the lowest corner edges of the air filter box that sits on top of the PCM container at the end of the intake tube. This allows the intake to pull in some cooller air, without completely disconnecting from the PCM container. Seems to me that I now have slightly more power off the line. When I changed my air filter once, I noticed that water had gotten into the box because I could see the evaporation line of where the water was. To make sure not to allow MORE water in and overflow into the PCM, this is where I drilled the holes. That was over a year ago, and no problems since then. Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.