: Drive-In movies any thoughts or memories?

orconn
08-24-12, 08:46 PM
Just saw a piece on the news tonight about how there are "Drive-In Movie" theaters opening up again around the U.S. I quess it was my generation, in the late fifties and early sixties, that were the ones who really patronized these outdoor theaters.

We had a drive-in theater outside Moorestown, NJ that I went to a few times (allways got my mother to lend me her '57 Olds 98 Holiday for the occasion, the 1956 Mercedes 300D (Adenour Mercedes) my daily driver was just not conducive to the experience!). But when I was a senior in high school in Cambridge, Ohio a trip to the drive-in movie was a regular occasion during the warmer months. By that point my mother and I were sharing the Olds, and as a four door Holiday (hardtop convertible) it filled the bill (without Mother of course!). My senior class female classmates were a comely crew and were quite happy for a "drive-in" date. One of the features of this particular drive-in was the mid evening fog that rolled in making it difficult to see the big screen .... how aggravating, ha! ha! Some how we found other things to do!

Here is a picture of the Olds 98 4 door Holiday that served me so well that last year of high school!

Never went to a drive-in in Caklifornia, so don't know how some of the other cars would have worked our.

donwon
08-24-12, 09:57 PM
Had some very good times in my 51 ford at the drive in movies. Don't remember much at all about the movies.

Ranger
08-24-12, 10:09 PM
I saw that piece on the news as well.

Lots of drive-in memories, but none that I can mention here.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-24-12, 10:15 PM
I saw "Twister" with my parents at a Drive-In in '96, during a thunderstorm. Scared the shit out of me. :lol:

hueterm
08-24-12, 10:32 PM
Never been to one. Sub par audio, heat, bugs...not really my thing. I'm not a fan of theaters though, either...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-24-12, 10:43 PM
I really like going to see a movie at a theatre, but only if it's something I'm dying to see. This year has been a great one for movies (Ted, The Dark Knight Rises, Lawless, etc), but I refuse to pay the ~$10 ticket fee and ~$12 for popcorn & pop if it's something I'm not dying to see.

hueterm
08-24-12, 11:04 PM
My last four movies: Dark Knight Rises, Avengers....Sherlock Holmes...Star Trek... ;-)

rfishoutofwater
08-25-12, 01:00 AM
Been to a lot growing up in Cali and now those are gone. Montclair drive-in and orange drive-in and also one down by Huntington beach. Loved those days. We live in olympia, WA now and we have a local 1 screen theater that's open during spring / summer months. Have gone there 2-3 times a year. Also I hear up in auburn , wa there is like a 6-8 plex drive in. Haven't been there yet. Our one here uses an FM station to broadcast the movie sound from. No more little speaker cans to hang on the door. Both my boys love to go to the drive in.

hueterm
08-25-12, 01:58 AM
I saw "Twister" with my parents at a Drive-In in '96, during a thunderstorm. Scared the shit out of me. :lol:

ROFL...that's messed up!

Jesda
08-25-12, 02:58 AM
Went and saw a double-feature with a couple friends in a small town about 11 or 12 years ago. One was Tomb Raider 2, cant remember what the other was. Audio was decent on my car's FM stereo and the picture was nice.

Its funny, when they checked the trunk upon entering we had two BB guns back there and a few empty liquor bottles, but they didnt care as long as we werent bringing in our own food/drinks.

brandondeleo
08-25-12, 05:40 AM
I remember going to the drive-in in Pomona when I was younger... The last movie I remember seeing there was Open Water. What a waste of two hours. HORRIBLE movie. Made Blair Witch Project seem exciting.

ShapeShifter
08-25-12, 11:04 AM
My first date we went to the drive-in. Don't remember the movie, but the make out sessions are still vividly clear.

truckinman
08-25-12, 11:23 AM
I wish there were more around. I've been to a couple but had to drive a decent ways. I think they're cool as hell. Havens been to one tho for about 8 years.

MotownPimp
08-25-12, 08:44 PM
Went to several drive ins as a teenager in the late 50s; did not see a lot of movies though.

thebigjimsho
08-27-12, 09:19 AM
There are a few in MA but they're all in the center of the state. There was one each in Billerica and Tewksbury when I was growing up but they've both been shut down for decades with no trace in sight.

I saw The Incredible Shrinking Woman in Billerica when we first moved there.

I think the last one I saw was Spiderman II in Mendon, in my V1. The 5 people in my car did not enjoy that...

BIGREECE
08-27-12, 10:37 AM
We had two in the small town I grew up in back in the 70's and 80's and remember the first movie my dad took me to. It was me my twin brother and older brother and dad, he would'nt let my two sisters come along and now I know why. It was Saturday night and there was a double feature which I think most drive-ins had a double feature(movie) for the evening, The first show was about a killer ape on the loose and blood and gore was everywhere. I don't remember much of the 1st show because I kept my eyes covered most of the time, But the 2nd show was JAWS and it scared the **** out of me and my twin brother:hide:. The ironic thing is that we went on Summer vacation the following weekend to Myrtle Beach, I think my dad had this planned all along to keep us out of the water:devil:. Theres nothing better than during intermission going to the concession stand and getting popcorn, hot dogs and cola, I can still remember that awesome smell of Drive-in food:p! Sad to see both Drive-ins are closed and have been for a while, Hope they make a comeback it's a great family adventure:rolleyes:

brandondeleo
08-27-12, 12:04 PM
I would kill to see Jaws at a drive in!!

BIGREECE
08-27-12, 06:27 PM
I would kill to see Jaws at a drive in!!It was intense even at the age of 8, I will always remember that famous sound effect forever!

brandondeleo
08-28-12, 04:49 AM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/303513_3089909665606_597363484_n.jpg

1percenter
09-06-12, 07:34 PM
loved going when i was a kid, there is still two open that i know of in socal

CadillacLuke24
09-06-12, 11:10 PM
Looks like we have a new guy :D

Welcome 1%er! Like the name LOL

Still go to the drive -ins in your area every now and then?

gdwriter
09-07-12, 12:57 AM
We still have a few drive-ins in Oregon. In fact, Betty is going to be part of a photo shoot for an Oregon State scholar/athlete at a drive-in on Saturday.