: Piano black console finish

fogey0
08-24-12, 12:01 PM
Is there some special care needed for this? It seems to develop scratches just looking at it. Is there a way to remove them? Is there some kind of protective coating that can be used to prevent the marks?
Thanks.

McGuffy
08-24-12, 12:05 PM
The piano black finish is a painted surface, and many people (myself included) have had very good luck using an exterior swirl remover. The GM version has gotten some good reviews on here. I use NuFinish with great success, though I'm sure any gentle product will work well. Just use a swirl remover, not a scratch remover, which may be more abrasive.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-appearance-mods/195097-used-gm-vehicle-care-swirl-remover.html

larry arizona
08-24-12, 12:08 PM
+1 on swirl remover followed by an exterior detailer on a clean cotton or microfiber towel. It is a painted surface. 5 min with swirl remover and you will get out 90% of the scratches. Hit it with exterior detailer to clean and maintain.

Tom_E
08-24-12, 12:15 PM
I protected mine with the clear bra material used on the front of the car. I covered all the horizontal pieces and after two year, it looks brand new.....

V locity
08-24-12, 12:49 PM
I protected mine with the clear bra material used on the front of the car. I covered all the horizontal pieces and after two year, it looks brand new.....

Great Idea!!!

larry arizona
08-24-12, 01:39 PM
great idea, Although its pretty easy to maintain if you use the swirl remover and detailer once in awhile

TXAG2004
08-24-12, 04:00 PM
I hadnt read that before. I'll be trying that soon!

SoCalCTSV
08-24-12, 06:51 PM

I will do this once I get the swirls out. Thanks !

MSOsr
08-24-12, 08:45 PM
When I had my car polished and Opti-Guard applied, I got the detailer to also Opti-Guard the piano black panel. Now I can touch it and only get finger prints on it (No more scratches!); weekend wipe off with microfiber with a little quick detailer and it looks brand new all week. Here's a link to the detail itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8T9bLMImpg Yes, I know he thought it was Titanium silver, but he did a great job!

Mike

MSOsr
08-24-12, 08:46 PM
Garry uses Opti-Guard, which is the professional sealant, but most people use Opti-Coat, which is easier to work with for the DIY guy.

Mike

hulksdaddy
08-24-12, 10:38 PM
HA! I actually watched that randomly a week or so ago. No idea it was a forum members car.

Looks great('cept for that Caddy logo on the fender...sorry bro :( )

MSOsr
08-24-12, 10:56 PM
They were there when I got the car with 7,000 miles! Most people like them! Even the dealer has asked about them....Thought they were terrific.

Mike (it's not like I've shaved my car anyway)

BTW, the visor would look a lot better if I had a decal on it!

hulksdaddy
08-24-12, 11:15 PM
As long as you like it, :thumbsup:

And yes, it just might. Mine would too.:bouncy:

SoCalCTSV
08-25-12, 01:23 AM
When I had my car polished and Opti-Guard applied, I got the detailer to also Opti-Guard the piano black panel. Now I can touch it and only get finger prints on it (No more scratches!); weekend wipe off with microfiber with a little quick detailer and it looks brand new all week. Here's a link to the detail itself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8T9bLMImpg Yes, I know he thought it was Titanium silver, but he did a great job!

Mike

What exactly is Opti Guard? A spray?

MSOsr
08-25-12, 11:54 AM
It actually comes in a hypodermic needle-like container. It's a little thicker than water and clear. You push out a small amount on the applicator/sponge and smooth it evenly over the surface of the vehicle.

Opti-Guard is the professional version, which sets up very quickly; you have to know what you're doing so you don't get high and low spots. Opti-Coat sets up slower and gives you time to make sure you have an even coat without having to use a buffer to wear down high spots after the product has "cured".

Mike

SoCalCTSV
08-25-12, 12:07 PM
It actually comes in a hypodermic needle-like container. It's a little thicker than water and clear. You push out a small amount on the applicator/sponge and smooth it evenly over the surface of the vehicle.

Opti-Guard is the professional version, which sets up very quickly; you have to know what you're doing so you don't get high and low spots. Opti-Coat sets up slower and gives you time to make sure you have an even coat without having to use a buffer to wear down high spots after the product has "cured".

Mike

How much did it cost to get it done?

MSOsr
08-25-12, 04:09 PM
Garry charged me $200 to Opti-Guard the entire exterior of the car, including glass, wheels and exhaust tips (just not the front windshield, as the wipers will wear off the sealant). He threw in the piano black panel for free.

Mike

SoCalCTSV
08-26-12, 01:33 PM
Garry charged me $200 to Opti-Guard the entire exterior of the car, including glass, wheels and exhaust tips (just not the front windshield, as the wipers will wear off the sealant). He threw in the piano black panel for free.

Mike

Did that include the prep to wash and remove old wax? They charge $350 here in So Cal.

RGaret
08-26-12, 03:50 PM
The piano black finish is a painted surface, and many people (myself included) have had very good luck using an exterior swirl remover. The GM version has gotten some good reviews on here. I use NuFinish with great success, though I'm sure any gentle product will work well. Just use a swirl remover, not a scratch remover, which may be more abrasive.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-appearance-mods/195097-used-gm-vehicle-care-swirl-remover.html

This stiff isn't available any longer. Is there a substitute that I can use instead?

MSOsr
08-26-12, 04:06 PM
Did that include the prep to wash and remove old wax? They charge $350 here in So Cal.

$200 was just to apply the Opti-Guard. The one-step polishing/prep was separate.

Mike

MSOsr
08-26-12, 04:07 PM
This stiff isn't available any longer. Is there a substitute that I can use instead?

I used Meguiar's M205 on a microfiber to do mine.

Mike

larry arizona
08-26-12, 04:31 PM
3M perfect it or Meguiars #9 are very light cut swirl removers. I have used both with great ease and success.