: Got the itch..... Mods to my new 2013V

Gman57
08-22-12, 06:42 PM
Itche'n to mod my 2013 V with....
CAI, Pullys, Porting, TB, Cooler, Complete exhaust with headers and no cats. Plus wheels and more ext. mods.
Is this CRAZY :bonkers:
Some think so but I have moded 2 Vetts and my 2500 3/4 ton Silverado truck all whit few miles on them never looking back. Is the V trouble free enough to start mods out of the box?

Looking for input.
G

WA 2 FST
08-22-12, 06:47 PM
I think I already posted this on one of your threads, but I modded mine with 210+ miles on it and about 10 days of ownership. Basically the same setup you are describing above. I've had mine a few months now... loving it, and not worried at all about the mods. Go for it.

larry arizona
08-22-12, 06:56 PM
go for it. You will NOT be sorry! beware though, stage 1 only leads to stage 2 and so on and so forth. But damn is this cheap fun

V locity
08-22-12, 08:22 PM
The Mod Squad votes yes! :2thumbs:

You'll Love it!!!

1997BlackETC
08-22-12, 11:11 PM
I can't afford to void my warrantee, one of the reason's I bought the car was to have a new car warrantee as my g8gt was outta the bumper to bumper and 1 year away from being outta the powertrain warrantee. 1st question GM asks the tech's at the dealer when doing a major warrantee repair is for a snapshot of the PCM programming to make sure it has not been altered and asks the tech if there are any visable mods to the car, a friend of mine is a mechanic at a caddy dealer for 25 years and he told me this is the way it is now, did not use to be, but they have cracked down on this sort of thing. So if you do a tune or other mods and blow a rear main seal or worse, you're on your own, you gotta pay to play.

V-swagon
08-23-12, 12:29 AM
I had my 11 V wagon about 4 days and I already put a Magnaflow exhaust on it. But I'm afraid to do any other major mod to it cause of the 6 yr 100 k warranty. That's one reason I bought the car.

dgman2
08-23-12, 11:06 AM
I had my 11 V wagon about 4 days and I already put a Magnaflow exhaust on it. But I'm afraid to do any other major mod to it cause of the 6 yr 100 k warranty. That's one reason I bought the car.

Please!! let me know how you like the magnaflow catback; I've been considering getting that, but most of what I see and read is about the other brands.
How do you like the sound... any highway drone? is it loud enough to be worthwhile if you get on it? Is it quiet enough to NOT be a pest if you're just
cruising? What does it look like from the rear, i.e. are the mufflers tucked in and as invisible as stock or do you see two roach eggs hanging under the rear as some catbacks do (some people like that, but I don't). I know those are a lot of questions, but I'd appreciate your feedback. Pics of the rear (low shots) would really be nice, but If thats to much effort, I'd love to just have answers. Also, if you have heard other brands on the V, I'd like to know what you
think about the difference. If you also have headers (i hope you don't), forget about the sound questions. I'm really just interested in sound without
headers. Thanks

buddyg
08-23-12, 03:40 PM
mod it!!

larry arizona
08-23-12, 05:09 PM
I understand those who fear mods while under warranty and everyone has their reasons.

Personally warranty is HIGHLY overrated. It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside but most wont ever use it. There is NO WAY with a car like this I would wait 4 years 50K or 6 years 100K to miss out on the rush of modding this car.

Life is short and this car is too FN fun to wait for a security blanket to expire. Reality is most mods people speak of on here are mild and low risk. Pulley, tune, exhaust, Cai, geez even cams are relatively low risk. If you are not mechanically inclined get eduacted and learn what you are doing and with that knowledge you will feel FAR more comfortable modding the V.

Dr. Design
08-23-12, 05:14 PM
You will love the mods!

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

hlantin
08-23-12, 05:23 PM
mod it!!

+1....and add a cam to your list, but if you do, go bigger!

pat2t2f
08-24-12, 12:01 AM
I just ordered a 13 wagon. If I mod the engine, can they void the warranty for the rest of the car??? Electrical, pumps, etc??

V locity
08-24-12, 07:54 AM
There has to be a cause & effect relationship with your mod & warranty issue, for a non coverage issue to come up.

V-swagon
08-24-12, 08:17 AM
I took the exhaust off my 09 V before I traded it in for the wagon cause I thought it would fit fine. I had some issues with the mufflers cause the tip angle and the bumper opening. Everything else fit fine. I had to cut the tips off and tig them on straight. In the 09 sedan, there's was a drone around 65 ish. Cruising around town in sport mode was awesome. I think it sounds good. Not too loud and a lot better than stock. I don't have any other mods than that. I might modify the air box opening. In my 09 V, I got 22.8 mpg cruising 70 mph. I'm not sure about the wagon yet. As far the drone, the wagon is not bad at cruising speed. A lot better than the sedan in my opinion. I would post a picture but I'm not sure how to with my phone app. Any major mods will be later down the road cause of other project cars that have been put off to long.

Gman57
08-24-12, 08:58 AM
There has to be a cause & effect relationship with your mod & warranty issue, for a non coverage issue to come up.

:yeah:....what he said.

There is NO DOUBT I WILL MOD this winter when the car is just sitting around doing nothing. So next spring will be like getting another new car :burn:
Untill then I'll just have to put up with this over powered grocerie getter :shocked2:

CTS-Vz
08-24-12, 09:00 AM
Mod it. It's just money! Make sure to do mods that require similar labor at same time. Most efficient to do pulleys (upper and lower), isolator, porting, etc simultaneously. Lot of extra bucks in labor if you do one mod at a time.

McGuffy
08-24-12, 10:57 AM
You won't void your warranties by modding - The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act ensures this - http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm

Basically, the manufacturer would have to prove that the mod was directly responsible for any failure before they could deny the warranty claim.

dgman2
08-24-12, 01:19 PM
I took the exhaust off my 09 V before I traded it in for the wagon cause I thought it would fit fine. I had some issues with the mufflers cause the tip angle and the bumper opening. Everything else fit fine. I had to cut the tips off and tig them on straight. In the 09 sedan, there's was a drone around 65 ish. Cruising around town in sport mode was awesome. I think it sounds good. Not too loud and a lot better than stock. I don't have any other mods than that. I might modify the air box opening. In my 09 V, I got 22.8 mpg cruising 70 mph. I'm not sure about the wagon yet. As far the drone, the wagon is not bad at cruising speed. A lot better than the sedan in my opinion. I would post a picture but I'm not sure how to with my phone app. Any major mods will be later down the road cause of other project cars that have been put off to long.

Tanks for the info.

JimmyH
08-24-12, 05:17 PM
You won't void your warranties by modding - The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act ensures this - http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm

Basically, the manufacturer would have to prove that the mod was directly responsible for any failure before they could deny the warranty claim.

:umno:

MM has to do with using aftermarket parts in place of oem parts. It has nothing to do with making modifications to the way your car operates.

If you design and meticulously engineer something, and the guy who bought it changes the way it works, would you warranty it?

McGuffy
08-24-12, 05:48 PM
If you change the entire geometry of your suspension and you have a suspension issue, then there's not going to be warranty coverage on the aftermarket parts obviously, but you can't be denied a warranty on an engine issue simply because you put on new headers. The manufacturer has to show that the headers caused the failure. I have a heavily modded Jeep Wrangler (Skyjacker 4" Lift, 34" mudders), and had the differential repaired under warranty, no issue whatsoever. I suppose your mileage may vary, and you may have to fight for it, but you do have rights.

I will add that I would not have expected them to warranty the suspension in this case - but by then, those were largely all my parts anyhow. But they didn't say to me, "well, you did put on big tires and a lift, so we won't cover your differential".

pat2t2f
08-24-12, 06:15 PM
:umno:

MM has to do with using aftermarket parts in place of oem parts. It has nothing to do with making modifications to the way your car operates.

If you design and meticulously engineer something, and the guy who bought it changes the way it works, would you warranty it?

Hey McGuffy... Thanks for sending the link about the warranty law. I have heard about that before but it's always better to read it yourself

larry arizona
08-24-12, 06:25 PM
listen if you mod engine enough (beyond Cai and exhaust) its pretty likely the engine, trans and diff are not going to be warrantied or at least at risk of the dealer giving you a arguement and you losing. Price of modding.

McGuffy
08-24-12, 06:32 PM
Guys, I'm not saying that you can mod at will and never worry about it. What I'm saying is that if you mod the engine and the transmission goes, they can't just deny the transmission claim outright - they'd have to prove that the engine modifications caused the transmission failure.

JimmyH
08-24-12, 06:37 PM
and I never said they won't cover your diff failure just because you put headers on.

But if you think they have to prove ANYTHING, think again. Are you going to go to court because they denied a $3000 warranty coverage?

I agree modding is fun, and I hope to get back to it someday. I am just not going to do it on my daily driver.

McGuffy
08-24-12, 06:54 PM
Court? Probably not. But I'd try another dealership, then complain to the manufacturer at least.

JimmyH
08-24-12, 07:46 PM
Exactly. Some dealers are mod friendly. Some aren't. I think the latter far outweighs the former though.
My point is that when you do a pulley, headers, etc, those might be considered "bolt-ons", but they still add power. And if you add power, you are altering the way the car was designed to perform.

larry arizona
08-24-12, 08:53 PM
adding 100RWHP will void the entire drivetrain....... trans (6A or 6M/clutch), diff, half shafts tc. ALSO. All GM dealers are linked. If you get denied by one, all other dealers know that you were already denied.

larry arizona
08-24-12, 08:56 PM
You gotta pay to play. Nothing in the drive train is likely to fail with 100RWHP but IF it did its not the end of the world. $2000 trans, $1000 diff, this is why I think the warranty is highly overrated. If you can afford a $70K car you can afford to replace the parts that could fail.

JimmyH
08-24-12, 09:59 PM
I just can't afford to have my DD laid up for a week when something breaks. Warranty or not.

Gman57
08-24-12, 10:10 PM
You gotta pay to play. I think the warranty is highly overrated. If you can afford a $70K car you can afford to replace the parts that could fail.

Well that sums it up...... :bouncy2:

V locity
08-24-12, 10:17 PM
I just can't afford to have my DD laid up for a week when something breaks. Warranty or not.

Enterprise "picks you up"... You'll need it when the car goes in for a week for mods :)

You gotta pay to play. Nothing in the drive train is likely to fail with 100RWHP but IF it did its not the end of the world. $2000 trans, $1000 diff, this is why I think the warranty is highly overrated. If you can afford a $70K car you can afford to replace the parts that could fail.

Decent modding is 10-20K anyway. What's a few more K if something snaps???

JimmyH
08-25-12, 01:12 PM
Enterprise "picks you up"... You'll need it when the car goes in for a week for mods :)

Hell no. They always seem to give me a Kia Rio that smells like urine.

McGuffy
08-25-12, 01:34 PM
Ok, yeah, I suppose if you start pushing 1000hp into the stock tranny, you're going to get some grief if the tranny fails. I'll agree 100% with V locity that if you're going to spend $20K on mods, then you should be ok handling any repairs you might need as well.

turbol15
08-25-12, 01:35 PM
leave it stock

larry arizona
08-25-12, 01:38 PM
Stock sux once you know what these things feel liked modded........woot woot!

JimmyH
08-25-12, 01:42 PM
leave it stock

If it's your DD, absolutely. Even if it isn't, I think 560 hp is plenty. I am satisfied with 420 hp. Any more, and I would probably get myself into trouble.

I just want to get some headers. You can't beat the sound of a pushrod V8 with headers.

StevieK
08-25-12, 05:51 PM
Itche'n to mod my 2013 V with....
CAI, Pullys, Porting, TB, Cooler, Complete exhaust with headers and no cats. Plus wheels and more ext. mods.
Is this CRAZY :bonkers:
Some think so but I have moded 2 Vetts and my 2500 3/4 ton Silverado truck all whit few miles on them never looking back. Is the V trouble free enough to start mods out of the box?

Looking for input.
G

Think carefully before you do it. Warranty is in jeopardy and you never get back what you put into any modification. Take it from me, I modded my C6 Corvette, supercharger, headers, cam, etc. and it was putting out 650 HP which was really unstreetable. Unless you have a lot of extra cash to burn, a 4 sec CTS-V is really a rocket ship already. Not that many cars out there that can match it. By the way, GM will end your warranty regardless of what some say. I can vouch for that as it happend to me.

Gman57
08-26-12, 08:12 AM
Think carefully before you do it. Warranty is in jeopardy and you never get back what you put into any modification. Take it from me, I modded my C6 Corvette, supercharger, headers, cam, etc. and it was putting out 650 HP which was really unstreetable. Unless you have a lot of extra cash to burn, a 4 sec CTS-V is really a rocket ship already. Not that many cars out there that can match it. By the way, GM will end your warranty regardless of what some say. I can vouch for that as it happend to me.

You are correct on mods.... you never get your $$$ back and could cost you more sometimes because others may not want a moded car. This is not my DD and I'm only planing on around 100 rwhp adder with bolt ons. I have other things to play with on the track. The V is a great car but it lacks the low end seat of the pants I feel with the Vetts. Warranty or not this car will get some power mods. But it will have to stay street friendly for the wife to drive :hmm:

For the track nothing like the power of a built 427... :cool2:

http://lozierheatingcooling.com/Gary%20FTP/757update07a.jpg

StevieK
08-27-12, 11:36 AM
You are correct on mods.... you never get your $$$ back and could cost you more sometimes because others may not want a moded car. This is not my DD and I'm only planing on around 100 rwhp adder with bolt ons. I have other things to play with on the track. The V is a great car but it lacks the low end seat of the pants I feel with the Vetts. Warranty or not this car will get some power mods. But it will have to stay street friendly for the wife to drive :hmm:

Gorgeous looking C6. I wish I was able to keep mine along with the V.

1997BlackETC
08-27-12, 12:40 PM
I do agree with you that the CTS-V does not have the low end grunt I expect it to have. I'd always heard this type of supercharger setup had mucho torque, I guess not. I wish there was some way to do a pully and a tune without voiding the warrantee, I'd really like to do those two things, but common sense prevents it from happening.

larry arizona
08-27-12, 12:46 PM
1997, I still am puzzled as to what you are used to driving prior to the V2 that makes it feel slow or not much low end TQ? I am curious if you are simply running into the traction control taking over when you go WOT. The V2 is insanely fast stock and HAS an incredicble amount of low end grunt. The V is a stump puller. Try turning off full TC and Stablitrak and let me know if you still feel the same way. When TC takes over it feels lethargic.

Now from a mods perspective, its only building on the stock greatness and becomes insanely unreal what it does for this car.

WA 2 FST
08-27-12, 02:34 PM
I agree with Larry. 0-60 in 3.9-4.1 seconds means plenty of TQ... but not with TC on. Also, remember it is a 4200+lb car, so even a very flat TQ curve (which it has) still has to get a lot of mass moving.

Here is one idea for you... if you absolutely need more low-end and do not want to do any engine mods, see about changing out the rear gear ratio to a numerically higher one. I don't know if you have an A6 or an M6, but either way, this will help you... you will have to do a tune for speedo-recalibration, but at least you will not be modding the motor, and definitely should not create any issues for engine/transmission warranty.

JimmyH
08-27-12, 02:46 PM
I bet those of you with an auto have more torque-management to deal with.

larry arizona
08-27-12, 03:16 PM
No matter how much TM is going on (both auto and manual have plenty) I have never once had the feeling that the V lacked low end TQ. even stock with TC off in comp mode, this car is down right evil on acceleration.

1997BlackETC
08-27-12, 03:30 PM
Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with mine, it kinda feels like there is a V6 under the hood. Maybe the dealer I bought it from detuned it after they drove into a telephone pole and took out the right front fender just to make sure it would not happen again, all this on a brand new vehicle. My Chevy Colorado with the TVS 1900 blower feels like it has a lot more low end torque.

WA 2 FST
08-27-12, 04:38 PM
If you can't torque brake it against the converter in 1st gear (assuming you have an A6)... make sure it is in 1st... Sport Mode... and boil the tires off by just flooring it from a stop, then your car is down on power.

If you have an auto and you are not driving it with the trans in comp mode, then you are starting off in 2nd gear all the time... and yeah, it isn't nearly as fast/brutal as 1st.

JimmyH
08-27-12, 04:57 PM
That's a good point, I forgot about that. The Camaro is that way too. When you first start the engine, the trans will start the first time in first gear. After that, it will always start in 2nd unless you choose sport on the gear selector. Some guys were trying to figure out why they couldn't spin the wheels even with TC off.

larry arizona
08-27-12, 05:42 PM
1997, seriously i have to wonder if you are truly feeling the power of this car. I have the 6M and it is violent. Great advice above for the 6A.

1997BlackETC
08-27-12, 11:52 PM
Thanks, ya I think thats a lot of the problem just leaving the car in drive. I realized a while back it was starting out in second gear. I'll do a full throttle start in sport mode next time.

WA 2 FST
08-28-12, 10:23 AM
Thanks, ya I think thats a lot of the problem just leaving the car in drive. I realized a while back it was starting out in second gear. I'll do a full throttle start in sport mode next time.

And then please report back. :) Seriously, I felt the same way as you did... and thought I'd have to drive it in manual mode all the time. Instead, after day 2 of owning the car (I didn't read the owner's manual the first day), I slid the shifter over to Sport Mode and it made a big difference in everything. Every now and then I'll cruise around in Touring mode, but for the most part is it in Sport Mode, and then sometimes I use the paddle shifters (on back country roads).

Oh, and don't forget to turn TC off... or at least put it in Stabilitrak Comp mode. Otherwise you will get a power cut on the 1-2 upshift for sure, if not before.

JimmyH
08-28-12, 01:53 PM
or just get a MT :sneaky:

1997BlackETC
08-28-12, 03:38 PM
Ya, I think I'll just drive the car in sport mode for the most part. I guess part of the problem is I'm comparing it to a blown chevy colorado which is ligher than the caddy by around 500 lbs, the rado has the 5.3 motor, but it's around 500 hp.