: Hot intake?!

Kenny9123
08-21-12, 09:31 PM
I installed the black isolator, and vmax tb recently. Today. Drive the car for about 45 mins. Parked it for a couple hours at least. Went out. Pulled off my engine cover and the intake was still hot. Like real hot. Like I just came off the highway kinda hot. I'm gonna take it to my shop tomorrow and see what the actual temp is on the intake. After driving it and after letting it sit. It can not be normal? Can it?

tinman
08-22-12, 02:51 PM
Outside ambient temperature hot/cool? Parked in the sun/shade? I can't speak for the isolator as I don't have one, just trying to narrow down your parameters. You might have to keep some better records such as the elapsed time parked, driven, etc.

Kenny9123
08-22-12, 04:09 PM
Drive for 45 minutes. Parked for at least 2 hours. Out side temp was 28 degrees Celsius. And it was park in partial shade I suppose.

tinman
08-22-12, 04:11 PM
Hopefully someone who has a clue can chime in. Did you contact the vendor?

Kenny9123
08-22-12, 04:46 PM
I'm hoping it was just a combination of the sun and outside temp that caused it.

Mr. Frontier
08-23-12, 11:41 AM
Depending on outside temperature it should take at least 5 hours to cool down, and even after 7-8 hours can still be warm to the touch.
Big engine? Big mass. You have the slow air convection of a large chunk of metal filled with hot oil and pressurized hot water that doesn't have its fan running or pumps circulating while it's parked.
Your "isolator" only should claim to cut off direct heat flow from the engine.

Did the "isolator" also come with special insulating bolts that cut the heat flow from the stainless steel engine bolts all the way through the plenum? No? Stainless steel or any metal is a decent conductor of heat, based on their rate of thermal conductivity. You cannot get away from this unless those bolts are addressed.

Therefore, you are still dealing mostly with direct heat flow through the intake bolts; convection up through the engine bay; and radiant energy bouncing around anything and everything also in the engine bay. Your "iceolator" may only help when the engine is being actively cooled...maybe.

Kenny9123
08-23-12, 05:54 PM
I drove the car for about 2 hours hard in the city and parked. And the intake was cooler right after then letting it sit for an hour. Hood closed. Engine cover on. The heat just has nowhere to go is all.