: Vagon fever

VMoose
08-21-12, 06:54 PM
I know I know... I just got the sedan a few months ago. Awesome car through and through.

I catch myself wishing for the Vagon with a manual. My only real regret with the sedan is getting the auto. I've always had manuals prior to this, but so figured I would try the auto for my commute to work. Secondly, there are more than a few times when I could really use the ability to pack in some large tough boxes because of the Army.

I did a lease of the sedan, and have been kicking around the idea of attempting to lease transfer it. Then I would like to order just what I really want for the Vagon. Selling outright wouldn't be pretty....

What do you think? Not worth the trouble or possible expense? Just enjoy the lease I have now and pick up a used Vagon down the road?

allinmyhead
08-21-12, 07:38 PM
Secondly, there are more than a few times when I could really use the ability to pack in some large tough boxes because of the Army.

Have you actually looked at the hatch area? You're not getting much, if any, additional utility out of the wagon. I originally was going for a vagon but switched to sedan for three reasons (mainly petty).

1) because of the hatch, interior road noise volume seemed much higher.
2) rear bumper/diffuser is the same between cts wagon and vagon; I didn't like that there was no extra 'flourish' like the sedan.
3) no perceptible increase in cargo capacity because of the rear slope / hatch slope.

Xaqtly
08-21-12, 07:54 PM
I disagree, I can fit a 6' stepladder into the back of my V wagon without even angling it. And a hand truck next to it. And a toolbox. And there's still a ton of vertical space left over from the floor to the ceiling. There is a huge difference in the volume and/or sheer size of stuff you can put into the wagon that you can't put into the sedan. It's 58 cubic feet of space, the sedan's trunk only has about 14 cubic feet and the entryway is smaller.

To VMoose, what I would do if I were you is take one or a couple of those tough boxes down to your Caddy dealer and test-fit them into a wagon. Doesn't have to be a V wagon, a normal CTS wagon has the same dimensions. If they fit the way you want them to, then all you have to decide is whether you need that space enough and want the manual transmission enough to trade your sedan in on a V wagon.

Also if you have a dog they'll probably love riding in the back with the seats and windows down. Mine does. :D

VMoose
08-22-12, 12:08 PM
Xaqtly, Thank you for the suggestion. I will have a look at the interior dimensions. The appeal of the V wagon is being able to increase the overall capacity by lowering the rear seats. I was thinking that alone, coupled with the larger hatch opening would enable me to haul pretty much any gear that I would have to.

That utility is very tempting.

neuronbob
08-22-12, 01:19 PM
Another 6MT Vagon fan here.

I've mulled over trading my V sedan for a 6MT Vagon with Recaros since the Vagon first appeared. I like the look, the utility, and most of all the rarity of the Vagon. If I could find a good enough deal on one, I'd probably do it. It's the only car I'd consider getting rid of my V sedan (which I love dearly!) for. However with my V sedan now effectively paid off, I would not be looking forward to a new car payment too quickly.

I therefore live vicariously through those of you who are actual owners/lessees of the Vagon.

Good luck with your decision, VMoose!

PS--any good deals out there on Vagons?

Jinx
08-22-12, 01:35 PM
I worry that in the future there will be no such thing as a lightly-used manual-transmission Vagon. Autos, sure, they're sitting on dealer lots now, but manuals? Driven as if stolen, every one, I bet.

VMoose
08-22-12, 02:16 PM
Jinx, you make a most excellent point. I'd hate to miss out on getting a Vagon, just as I would have wanted it. Buying one that was thrashed about may not be so enticing.

Haze
08-22-12, 03:00 PM
@Jinx - My car is lightly used and well cared for ... but also not for sale.

I would agree with @allinmyhead that noise from the open cargo area is greater than the sedan or coupe, but not onerous to me. It is a legitimate statement. As for the cargo volume and usable space, it isn't a Buick Roadmaster, but it is a lot more useful than a sedan for carrying cargo. It will suck in a bike easily, has a large open maw to absorb items, and it is vertically stackable. It also has cargo ties downs from a track system in the floor. I have yet to use my roof rack, although I am sure that I will at some point.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-22-12, 03:35 PM
VMoose, let me know if you'd like me to investigate on your behalf! I'm happy to investigate any Vagon option on your behalf if you send me the last eight of its VIN. (My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!)

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

VMoose
08-22-12, 03:36 PM
Funny you should mention it Haze, we had a Buick Roadmaster in our family before. Perhaps that is why I have such an affection for station wagons with big V8s. I believe it was a 350 V-8 in that thing.

Looked like this one:
http://stationwagonforums.com/forums/gallery/files/1/4/IMGP0598.JPG

It was a boat!

elphil
08-22-12, 06:25 PM
Love the vinylwood siding.

SleeperCTSV
08-22-12, 06:47 PM
So classy. Lol. It's funny how what is desirable changes over time.

V-swagon
08-22-12, 07:10 PM
Just flipping through here and started reading this post. I purchased a 2011 V wagon black diamond after trading in my 09 V sedan. I personally love the V wagon. I don't regret the trade at all. If I need to haul stuff, I can just flip the back seats down. If I need to beat Mopars and Fords, I can do that too. I think that GM did a great thing by building the V wagon. Just my opinion.

WGT31
08-22-12, 09:16 PM
Saw this thread also and had to chime in. We also have a '95 Caprice wagon with the LT1. Dressed as a SS. I too luv the big GM cars. Owning a few niche cars a Syclone, Typhoon a couple Allantes, a diesel here and there, then a V1. The Vagon was just a usual purchase. I do wish I had waited, I have a 2011 Thunder Gray with suede and polished wheels. I really wanted a BDT but was unable to find one affordable at the time with the options wanted. Now there are a few online with a third the miles mine has at the price range I wanted to be in, but its all good. That BDT will be a killer when paint match has to happen, and mine is a DD so at some point it would happen. I use to be able to say mine was the only one in 100 mile radius. Now I have to lower that to 65. Dam....

baabootoo
08-23-12, 12:26 AM
Another 6MT Vagon fan here.

I've mulled over trading my V sedan for a 6MT Vagon with Recaros since the Vagon first appeared. I like the look, the utility, and most of all the rarity of the Vagon. If I could find a good enough deal on one, I'd probably do it. It's the only car I'd consider getting rid of my V sedan (which I love dearly!) for. However with my V sedan now effectively paid off, I would not be looking forward to a new car payment too quickly.

I therefore live vicariously through those of you who are actual owners/lessees of the Vagon.

Good luck with your decision, VMoose!

PS--any good deals out there on Vagons?

Unsure what a "vagon" is, but it's "prolly" a CTS-V wagon. There's a lot of deals on Cars.com. I'm going to look at one this weekend myself to trade my sedan on.

Jinx
08-23-12, 01:40 AM
How much louder is the wagon than the coupe? Is it tire noise, or general road noise? (Higher or lower pitched)
Is it still quieter than a Corvette? Than a non-luxury sedan? Can you just throw a nice big quilt in the back to quiet it down? (A quilt made of Cadillac and V logo prints...)

FLTRI
08-23-12, 02:58 AM
Having not owned a sedan or coupe, I was knd of surprised to read the comments on noise. My Vagon seems pretty quiet, the sedan must be really quiet. I got mine mostly for the ridiculousness of a 556 HP station wagon. The utility has served me well many times...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/C01AFE65-FFB1-46D8-B2BB-8FAD60100441-536-0000008FB5ABC9D8.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/297a2b25.jpg

Ain't a bad looking sled, either...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/FLTRI/afd911fc.jpg

VMoose
08-23-12, 01:35 PM
Awesome pictures FLTRI. You are selling the utility of the wagon well!

thebigjimsho
08-23-12, 02:28 PM
Unsure what a "vagon" is, but it's "prolly" a CTS-V wagon. There's a lot of deals on Cars.com. I'm going to look at one this weekend myself to trade my sedan on.

I trademarked Vagon a long time ago. It's used all the time round here. Where you been, man?

Xaqtly
08-23-12, 02:56 PM
How much louder is the wagon than the coupe? Is it tire noise, or general road noise? (Higher or lower pitched)
Is it still quieter than a Corvette? Than a non-luxury sedan? Can you just throw a nice big quilt in the back to quiet it down? (A quilt made of Cadillac and V logo prints...)

I was surprised to see the "noisy" comment too. Other than my creaking sunroof (which isn't constant, just sometimes), it's quiet as a tomb in my Vagon if I'm just cruising around. It may be a couple dB louder with the rear seats folded down but I can't even tell one way or the other. It's definitely not anywhere near as loud as a Vette. Seriously, I would take any comments about the wagon being "noisy" with an entire block of salt. It's very well soundproofed, just like the coupe and sedan.

thebigjimsho
08-23-12, 04:29 PM
The sedan is too quiet.

V Wagon
08-23-12, 05:56 PM
And the Wagon is still too quiet.

thebigjimsho
08-23-12, 09:03 PM
That's Vagon, mister!

1997BlackETC
08-23-12, 11:56 PM
I probably shoulda got a wagon when I bought my sedan a couple months ago because I have a place in Florida and drive there and need to take things back and forth, as it stands I'll probably be shipping some things there before I leave from up north in a couple months, can only fit so much in the back of the V sedan.

VMoose
08-24-12, 03:29 PM
Well then perhaps this is a question more about timing. When would it be most advantageous to pursue a possible trade from sedan to wagon? A year into my current lease? Less, more? I assume there is negative equity in leases much like buying a car.