: Transfer case oil

Badab!nG
08-20-12, 09:13 PM
Any recommendations for what oil to use in the transfer case on an 08 CTS4 DI??

tinman
08-27-12, 08:19 AM
Rear Drive Module and Transfer Case
(All-Wheel Drive) Transfer Case Fluid (GM Part No. U.S. 88861950, in Canada 88861951).

From the 2010 Owners Manual. It's in there, easy to find.

00 ss
08-27-12, 09:15 AM
Amsoil does not have a fluid that they say is a suitable substitute which leads me to believe the only place to get the right fluid is the dealer. Until very recently, I had to get the T-case fluid for our Grand Cherokee (NV247) at the Jeep dealer as well. I would not recommend using any fluid that is not specifically made for your T-case. With the complicated T-cases these days, using the wrong fluid will probably impair its ability to transfer the right amount of power to the rear/front wheels.

tinman
08-27-12, 09:54 AM
Amsoil does not have a fluid that they say is a suitable substitute which leads me to believe the only place to get the right fluid is the dealer. Until very recently, I had to get the T-case fluid for our Grand Cherokee (NV247) at the Jeep dealer as well. I would not recommend using any fluid that is not specifically made for your T-case. With the complicated T-cases these days, using the wrong fluid will probably impair its ability to transfer the right amount of power to the rear/front wheels.

...and might void your warranty.

dkozloski
08-27-12, 10:02 AM
The front/rear power split is determined by the ratio of the planetary gears in the center differential gear set in the transfer case and does not vary.

00 ss
08-27-12, 11:32 AM
Everything I've read says that the T-case in our cars is a torque vectoring case with a viscous coupling. Meaning it can vary the amount of power sent to the front wheels vs the rear wheels. The "gear ratio" better be 1:1 front to rear or the font and rear wheels won't spin the same speed. It's not supposed to be just an open center differential.

Badab!nG
08-28-12, 06:39 PM
I did get my t-case oil from the dealer. After not finding a suitable Amsoil substitute.