: Prospective owner 2005 STS V8

Paul Reed
08-20-12, 06:30 PM
Been looking a couple STS v8 models, and had a couple questions.

First one is how long is the general consensus before these cars start running into trouble? Ive heard that the last gen n*'s were pretty solid, being that they had been refining them for over 15 years.

I was looking at this http://www.nforceautosales.com/inventory/view/5578968 one and plan on keeping it for at least 5 years.

Final question is do these cars have any major flaws not outlined in the sticky?

KRSTS
08-20-12, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't pay much more than $9K for an 8 year old STS with nearly 100K miles, but that's just me. I tend to be a bottom feeder.

EChas3
08-20-12, 08:45 PM
These cars get spendy more for the high-end features than the fundementals. They do vary more than most people realize based on trim level. Don't plan on up-grading to X or adding Y more HP. Shop for what you want at a price you can afford. They are out there and the options don't affect the sales prices as much as you'd expect.

If there's no warranty available, plan on some set-aside because many services can be done most effetively by a dealer (tools & GM network resources) and it is a premium brand. They aren't quite the bargin they were in 2008, but the STS is still a lot of car for a lot less money than the regular suspects - German, Japanese or whatever.

turnne
08-20-12, 09:51 PM
These cars are the least expensive luxury cars you can buy...used...for their feature set

Correct me if I am wrong...but in my calculation they have the worst resale value in the mid luxury class and always have

That being said..prices...relatively speaking are not as low as they once were. But the competition is is also higher so its all relative

Comparing pricing from 4-5 years ago doesn't really hold salt...just like real estate in many markets....prices that people paid 5 years ago which results in a loss today has no bearing on what their property is worth today

I will say repairs are less than the germans somewhat...about on par with the Japanese

if it matters to you though you will find yourself spending much closer to what the car is worth ..on this car...than the others ..if you have to do a lot of repairs

Warren

Paul Reed
08-21-12, 05:47 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice.
Id like to know, although I'm not considering the v6, are they known to be less reliable? I seem to hear quite a bit about the 3.6

EChas3
08-21-12, 07:15 PM
The V6 isn't quite as trouble-free as the V8 but as long as the oil-level is well-tended there's no reason to expect issues.

burkewm
08-21-12, 07:18 PM
That's in pretty good shape for an '05 with almost 100k on it... could probably get it for $10k. What is the deal with the fabric on the doors though? Needs a re-wrap!

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-21-12, 08:27 PM
The seats look like the leather is getting loose too....mine has 175k miles and the drivers seat looks better than all of those do

turnne
08-22-12, 10:58 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice.
Id like to know, although I'm not considering the v6, are they known to be less reliable? I seem to hear quite a bit about the 3.6

the RWD is a little less problematic than the AWD

options on these cars dont really mean much in resale....thousands of dollars of options when new just means a few hundred in value now

High mileage also takes a huge toll on these cars value( comparatively speaking)

For example...a loaded Honda Accord of the same year that was less than the 50% of the price( sticker) of the STS is worth about the same as as an STS is now..in the used car market

The Nav and the voice activation system are worthless( compared to competitors of the same time frame and class)...so dont feel like you are missing much if the one you are looking at doesn't have those options

Warren

EChas3
08-22-12, 11:04 PM
^^^ I agree on the VR but disagree on the Nav. YMMV

Ludacrisvp
08-23-12, 10:42 AM
I would say the Nav works fine to really well. It's more complex than some users may like but the screen size and resolution is better than most or all aftermarket Nav units. The VR is trash.