: RIP Phyllis Diller...

brandondeleo
08-20-12, 04:13 PM
The original queen of comedy died today in her LA home at the age of 95. She really was a riot... :nono:

brandondeleo
08-20-12, 04:58 PM
This year's been really bad so far...

**** Clark
Etta James
Andy Griffith
Whitney Houston
Ernest Borgnine
Don Cornelius
Davy Jones
Donna Summer
Robin Gibb

...and now Phyllis Diller. Lots of great names.

RippyPartsDept
08-20-12, 05:01 PM
and Tony Scott
director of such hits as Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, Days of Thunder, The Last Boy Scout, True Romance, Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State ... this list goes on...

orconn
08-20-12, 05:17 PM
We've lost some great talents and personalities, but many icons are getting up in years so we can expect to lose many more in the coming years.

I knew Phyllis Diller was no Spring chicken, but I didn't realize that she was in her nineties! She was one of the people that were really helped by plastic surgery. I happened to be on a flight from Chicago to Columbus, Ohio in the early 1960's. Her career was just beginning to take off with appearances with Bob Hope and on the tonight show. She was done u in her trade mark hair, and my attention was drawn to her by hearing her characteristic laugh in a seat near me. When we disembarked in Columbus I got a good look at her .... and yup, she looked just like she did on TV! Later in the sixties I attended a USO show in Vietnam and got to see her perform in person. Ever since that time in Vietnam, Miss Diller had a special place in my memories. Farewell, Phyllis Diller, you made a lot of people laugh, none more so than the weary GI's in Vietnam!

Kev
08-21-12, 01:48 AM
Around '77, my family and another family (9 of us) saw Phillis Diller at Knott's Berry Farm. The theater she was performing in was not full, we all sat to the far right of the stage almost by ourselves. The rest of the audiance seemed less than amused but we were laughing like a bunch of heinas! We laughed so much, Ms Diller commented; "Well, you guys are having such a good time, I'm just going to stick to your side!" whereupon she finished her show directed mainly to our little group. It was like our own private show. It was great!

:coffee:

thebigjimsho
08-21-12, 06:32 AM
Around '77, my family and another family (9 of us) saw Phillis Diller at Knott's Berry Farm. The theater she was performing in was not full, we all sat to the far right of the stage almost by ourselves. The rest of the audiance seemed less than amused but we were laughing like a bunch of heinas! We laughed so much, Ms Diller commented; "Well, you guys are having such a good time, I'm just going to stick to your side!" whereupon she finished her show directed mainly to our little group. It was like our own private show. It was great!

:coffee:

Love that story.

EcSTSatic
08-21-12, 08:03 AM
and Tony Scott
director of such hits as Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, Days of Thunder, The Last Boy Scout, True Romance, Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State ... this list goes on...

He committed suicide. Even sadder..

RippyPartsDept
08-21-12, 09:31 AM
yeah, after finding out he had an operable brain tumor ... operable ... didn't make sense to me

ryannel2003
08-21-12, 11:05 AM
^Apparently ABC News screwed that up. His family released a statement saying that was untrue. Even worse.

RippyPartsDept
08-21-12, 12:14 PM
oh wow... thanks for the correction

77CDV
08-21-12, 01:23 PM
She's even more remarkable when you consider she started out in her late 30s, at a time when women just didn't do stand up comedy. She knew how to be risque without being vulgar, which is a very rare talent. Her and Charles Nelson Reilly on Hollywood Squares or Match Game was a combo that just couldn't be beat.

brandondeleo
08-21-12, 04:22 PM
In her later career, much of her humor centered around making fun of herself for being old. Those are freaking hilarious sketches. I love her Spice Girls Audition stand up routine.

Aron9000
08-23-12, 01:29 AM
I just saw a rerun of Robot Chicken with Phyliss Diller and Don Knotts. Pretty funny stuff, they were camp counsulors at Camp Crystal Lake, the Scooby doo team was there to investigate the mass murders.

brandondeleo
08-25-12, 04:24 AM
I just saw a rerun of Robot Chicken with Phyliss Diller and Don Knotts. Pretty funny stuff, they were camp counsulors at Camp Crystal Lake, the Scooby doo team was there to investigate the mass murders.
I remember that one... Cracked me up.