: Anyone Ran Across the new M6? Looking for info.

DRL650
08-20-12, 05:03 PM
Has anyone here ran across the new M6? I know they are just hitting the dealerships but with 550hp they should run pretty good. My buddy is getting his next week and he says it will beat my new V coupe? Just looking for any info and do you think the V will beat it stock vs stock? is all I have is an LPE air intake. Mods coming soon but I want to get some miles on it befor I start modding. I looked at getting one but at 110k I think for the money the V is a much better car. Thanks.

WA 2 FST
08-20-12, 05:25 PM
I think it will run extremely well...well enough to edge you out, if I'm being completely honest. As broad a TQ curve as our engines have, that twin-turbo mule is said to make over 500lbs/ft of TQ from 1500-5800rpm, which is very impressive. They are advertising 0-60 in 4.2, but with a 7-speed trans, it is sure to have better gearing than our cars. I don't know what they weigh, but I'm sure it will be a good race.

Both cars will be pretty easy to modify, given it is a twin-turbo car. But he paid a lot more than you did. :)

larry arizona
08-20-12, 06:18 PM
hmmm thought the V's got 0-60 in 3.9

DRL650
08-20-12, 07:00 PM
Curb weight: 4255 lbs .The 560-hp response of the M6's new 4.4.-liter V-8 engine is nearly instantaneous. Double-VANOS infinitely variable camshaft timing and High Precision Direct Injection play in concert with patented Valvetronic individual intake valve control that eliminates the need for a less-efficient throttle plate. The result is another M characteristic: linear, instantaneous delivery of a massive 500 lb-ft of torque over an exceptionally broad rpm range, from idle to high revs. This results in 0-60 mph of just 4.3 seconds

The 556 horsepower CTS-V with 0–60 in a blistering 3.9 seconds.

WA 2 FST
08-20-12, 07:10 PM
Go race him and then tell us how it goes. I think they are being conservative on the M6, given the engine specs... just my opinion.

Stillborn
08-20-12, 07:19 PM
driver mod will be the only factor in this race. i want video.

Xaqtly
08-20-12, 07:58 PM
The stats I saw said the curb weight is actually 4078 lbs (4243 for the convertible), which should make it significantly faster than the V, or at least noticeably faster. BMW claims 560 HP, but they underrate their engines. At best you'll be able to keep up but I suspect the M6 will walk any stock V. It's pretty much an F10 M5 in a slightly lighter chassis.

I think that for both cars there are serious traction issues when launching, so it could go either way depending on who gets a better start. But from a roll my feeling is that the M6 is faster.

WA 2 FST
08-20-12, 08:24 PM
And the M6 has launch-control... another advantage. As far as advertised 0-60 times... I've seen 3.9 for the M6, too, after doing some more research. The difference in .1-.2 in 0-60 is a lot of factors... who gets the jump, traction, driver skill. I think all things considered equal the M6 will be a tick quicker and faster (until it hits its 155mph limiter).

thebigjimsho
08-21-12, 07:47 AM
hmmm thought the V's got 0-60 in 3.9

C&D got 3.9 in an auto V sedan. They also got 3.7 in the new M5. Tread carefully...

Florian
08-21-12, 11:11 AM
I crush them with impugnity with my GT500....the bimmer boys hate me.

F

larry arizona
08-21-12, 01:07 PM
99% of drivers can't achieve car and driver or road and track numbers anyways. My point is that the new M5 or M6 is not going to consistently beat a V stock for stock. Virtual dead heat.

allinmyhead
08-21-12, 01:24 PM
Germans always under rate their power figures. Used to be, as near I can tell, they did it because taxation was done on engine size and power output. I had an EU friend tell me it's a cultural thing ... and I'm not sure I entirely believe this ... but the reasoning goes that you want to beat your competition but it's bad form to do it boisterously.

I suspect, just like BMW's other turbo motors, that the numbers are purposefully under quoted.

larry arizona
08-21-12, 01:45 PM
GM is no different with being conservative on HP numbers. Better to be low on claimed HP numbers than be over claiming and get busted ie Ford 5.0L from the late 80's early 90's (claimed 225HP reality 205HP) or Mazda in the RX8 about 10 years ago. Ford and Mazda had lawsuits to answer for these overclaims.

Trapspeed
08-21-12, 04:39 PM
GM is no different with being conservative on HP numbers. Better to be low on claimed HP numbers than be over claiming and get busted ie Ford 5.0L from the late 80's early 90's (claimed 225HP reality 205HP) or Mazda in the RX8 about 10 years ago. Ford and Mazda had lawsuits to answer for these overclaims.

Certainly we recall the advertised numbers on the '98 Z28s when they hit the market and some were outrunning Vette's. Many 12.90 something cars from factory. Underrating is nothing new to GM either.

MacBuster
08-21-12, 05:05 PM
Germans always under rate their power figures. Used to be, as near I can tell, they did it because taxation was done on engine size and power output. I had an EU friend tell me it's a cultural thing ... and I'm not sure I entirely believe this ... but the reasoning goes that you want to beat your competition but it's bad form to do it boisterously.

I suspect, just like BMW's other turbo motors, that the numbers are purposefully under quoted.

BMW under-rated their turbo motors for marketing reasons. The N54 was so good when it was launched that it made the V8 at the time pointless. When BMW fixed the V8 issue, the turbo-i6's all of a sudden got more power.

DRL650
08-21-12, 05:35 PM

F

You have beat the New Model M6? Also what mods on your GT500? I crushed a few of them in my Grand Sport..lol..All in fun.

larry arizona
08-21-12, 06:33 PM
BMW under-rated their turbo motors for marketing reasons. The N54 was so good when it was launched that it made the V8 at the time pointless. When BMW fixed the V8 issue, the turbo-i6's all of a sudden got more power.

Is under rating HP and then having prospective drivers seem surprised by how fast a BMW is for their claim a marketing scheme? BMW kool aide/brainwashing at its finest. Just be honest but then again it might take away from the "ultimate driving machine" if they claimed actual HP within 10HP.

I just don't get it.

Xaqtly
08-21-12, 06:58 PM
Yeah, cars like the 335i, which allegedly have 300 crank HP, dyno at close to 300 at the wheels completely stock. So they're actually making about 350-360 HP. This is why it's so easy to get them up to 400 HP with just a chip upgrade, because technically they're not starting at 300. The new M5/M6 are also underrated, not by quite as much, but the general consensus on the forums suggests that stock F10 M5s are making 575-580 crank HP. Sport Auto dynoed one and it made 620 HP, completely stock.

TrevorD
08-22-12, 12:48 AM
Sneak a lower pulley on your car first. ;) Only dyno numbers I've seen to date are strong...530 RWHP in stock trim! My '12 V baselined at 520 RWHP.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/bmw-m/283854-just-picked-up-new-m6-wow-beast.html

It will make for a driver's race IMO. Get a vid and post it up!

DRL650
08-22-12, 05:59 PM
How can they under rate these engines? I thought all new automobiles were now SAE certified to be the stated amount of Horsepower? I know back in the day this was not the case as all car makers were low balling HP to get by the insurance hassels..But new cars??

My buddy will not get his new car until the first week of September. He made it clear he will not race it until he gets some miles on it. This will give me time to also get some miles on mine and sneak in a pully and tune..Hell he is paying about 45k more than I paid for mt 12 coupe. So to me I have already won. The BMW M6 is going to be a great car but not an extra 45k great..

thebigjimsho
08-22-12, 06:15 PM

FAnd you were beating ZL1s before they even hit the street. lulz.

larry arizona
08-22-12, 06:23 PM
How can they under rate these engines? I thought all new automobiles were now SAE certified to be the stated amount of Horsepower? I know back in the day this was not the case as all car makers were low balling HP to get by the insurance hassels..But new cars??

My buddy will not get his new car until the first week of September. He made it clear he will not race it until he gets some miles on it. This will give me time to also get some miles on mine and sneak in a pully and tune..Hell he is paying about 45k more than I paid for mt 12 coupe. So to me I have already won. The BMW M6 is going to be a great car but not an extra 45k great..

I would run him straight up stock v stock. You will do fine. If you win awesome, if you lose then start modding and let the fun begin. Be honest with him and win fair and square. Then when he is negged out about losing and it will cost him an ARM AND A LEG to keep up with you. He is already down 45K and it will cost him 20K more to just keep up.

Hotrod-Realtor
08-22-12, 10:33 PM
I like this idea. Kinda reminds me of our arms race with the Russians. They ran out of money faster than we did.

I would run him straight up stock v stock. You will do fine. If you win awesome, if you lose then start modding and let the fun begin. Be honest with him and win fair and square. Then when he is negged out about losing and it will cost him an ARM AND A LEG to keep up with you. He is already down 45K and it will cost him 20K more to just keep up.

shchow
08-22-12, 11:26 PM
U
How can they under rate these engines? I thought all new automobiles were now SAE certified to be the stated amount of Horsepower? I know back in the day this was not the case as all car makers were low balling HP to get by the insurance hassels..But new cars??I

+1,
Everybody wants to think that their car is unique.
Remember when the GT-R was introduced to the States?
Everyone thought the car was grossly underreported as far as its HP was concerned.
One of the car rags purchased a couple GT-Rs and ran them on a dyno.
Guess what? They had exactly the power as advertised.
Just because you take your 335 to Joe's garage and dyno it and it reads 600 trillion HP doesn't mean it's accurate.
As far as the Sport Auto's 620hp result for the M5. Was the car supplied by the manufacturer? Or was the car purchased from an independent dealer? If the car was supplied by the manufacturer, it is a well known FACT that they bring in juiced cars to not look bad.
There is no secret. The development of these engines is well documented.
The HP is as advertised...

As far as running the next M6 on the street.
It's a driver's race...

larry arizona
08-23-12, 07:30 AM
Do such sophisticated superior tea toddling BMW M5/M6 owners actually drag race their ultimate driving machines? Or do they just putz around and win races by what road and track or car and driver publish?

V locity
08-23-12, 09:05 AM
I'm just wondering when the day comes, how far back the new M car will be in my rearview mirror after a 10 second run...? 50 yards, 100 yards???

I can't wait!!!!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIW8EcAmDN79YkB76xteSCdyTyxAX5Z a5FQw0b1TZNNo1fQ1GXrA_v-Tw5MA

MacBuster
08-23-12, 10:18 AM
Is under rating HP and then having prospective drivers seem surprised by how fast a BMW is for their claim a marketing scheme? BMW kool aide/brainwashing at its finest. Just be honest but then again it might take away from the "ultimate driving machine" if they claimed actual HP within 10HP.

I just don't get it.

Not their purpose. Their problem was they needed people to be able to justify the extra dollars that the V8's cost (545/550) over the turbo-i6. The 545 and the 535 made very similar power, with the 535 having a weight advantage.

They made their own V8 obsolete. So the under-rated the N54 so people could justify the top trim level.

They had a similar problem with the M3. When the 335 came out, they hadn't yet launched the V8 M3. So the 335 was the fastest 3 series, not the M3. Obviously a marketing problem.

JimmyH
08-23-12, 01:43 PM
what's the powertrain warranty on the M6? I sure as hell don't want to be footing the bill when something under the hood of that thing breaks.

larry arizona
08-23-12, 02:04 PM
Pretty short if you dont pay for the scheduled matinence.

Trapspeed
08-23-12, 02:26 PM

Taken from the BMW service drive when you don't follow maintenance reqs.

JimmyH
08-23-12, 03:20 PM
So basically, if you miss a dealer oil change, your warranty goes poof?

Trapspeed
08-23-12, 04:29 PM
It'll just make it easier for them to try to screw you.

DRL650
08-29-12, 09:44 PM
Took a ride in the new M6. I was really impressed. Hard to tell alot from the passenger seat but it is a great looking ride with a really nice interior. The little bit he dipped into the throttle the power came on really fast. But then again for 115k it should..I hope to run heads up and from a roll in the next month or so? I would guess the rags will be comapring these two fairly soon looking forward to the outcome and the next Gen V..These HP performance wars are really heating up.

Xaqtly
09-06-12, 07:16 PM
This article was just posted today. It's saying what I was saying earlier in the thread, which is that BMW underrates their engines. The M5 and M6 share the same engine, so this is relevant to both of them. 527 at the wheels completely stock. Compare that to our Vs making closer to 450, and it's a little more obvious how they're able to walk away from Vs like they do.

In response, I think the next CTS-V should use the 2.3 liter blower from the ZR1, but only list the HP at 575 or so, when it makes closer to 550 at the wheels. :D

http://jalopnik.com/5941080/does-the-new-bmw-m5-secretly-have-over-600-horsepower

DRL650
09-06-12, 07:30 PM
Holy smokes..I better get my car to Redline Performance to get the pully and tune before my buddy breaks his in and puts it on me!! I rode in his new M6 twice and it feels fast but not 620hp fast? I guess I will find out in the next month. He is really following the break in schedule..I guess if I spent 115k I would too. I know he will not mod his new M6 at all so I will do the pully and tune this way we should be really close. Hopefully the new V will come with more Hp? I cant wait for the new C7 maybe we will get some hints to what the next gen V will have for power and trans? Hopefully some type of twin clutch trans PDK style would Be great for us automatic guys.

larry arizona
09-06-12, 09:44 PM
Hmmm so 77 more RWHP gets you 0.1 in the qtr mile and 4 seconds at the ring? Not impressed.:yawn:

Trapspeed
09-06-12, 10:17 PM
Maybe it's underrated, maybe it's not. I'm still not dropping that coin on it.

V locity
09-07-12, 08:15 AM
I keep looking for one! I can't wait!!!:histeric:

Xaqtly
09-07-12, 02:50 PM
Hmmm so 77 more RWHP gets you 0.1 in the qtr mile and 4 seconds at the ring? Not impressed.:yawn:

From what I'm seeing, most of them are doing over 120 MPH stock in the 1/4 mile. Mostly 121s, and I've seen a 122.2 MPH. That's considerably faster than any stock V, regardless of the ET. The ET is mostly determined by traction and the 60' time, and is therefore mostly useless. Trap speed is the number that tells the real story. And the simple fact is that with a curb weight of 4288, the M5 would need a minimum of 50 more wheel HP than the V to pull off that kind of trap speed, so 77 sounds about right.

Just saying, the numbers are coming out now and all of them are pointing to the M5/M6 having closer to 620 HP than 560.

DRL650
09-07-12, 06:22 PM
Drove my buddies M6 Coupe today. It handles and drives really nice I was impressed with the shifting of the auto trans really quick shifts, but then again for the money I should be impressed. I did not have the opportunity to run up the RPM maybe 4k at the most felt really quick.I will be sending mine to Redline Motorsports next month we will run sometime after that.

hulksdaddy
09-07-12, 06:53 PM
SAE ratings are supposed to stop the number fudging either way. Does BMW not have to get their cars rated?

seandalal
09-07-12, 11:21 PM
the M is obviously good. the stock V coupe, is awesome

JimmyH
09-08-12, 07:51 PM
SAE ratings are supposed to stop the number fudging either way. Does BMW not have to get their cars rated?

SAE is not government affiliated. So SAE ratings are not required.

I am not positive, but I don't think horsepower ratings are even required by the government.

hulksdaddy
09-08-12, 08:02 PM
SAE is not government affiliated. So SAE ratings are not required.

I am not positive, but I don't think horsepower ratings are even required by the government.

Ah. Gotcha. Just read that GM is the first to do it.

JimmyH
09-08-12, 11:25 PM
I think a lot mfgs are doing it now. But there has to be an SAE witness present during engine dyno testing. I doubt BMW will ever let an outsider inside their engine testing facilities.