: Replace one rear tire on 12 CTS-V?

pdetti
08-20-12, 04:39 PM
My dealer damaged a rear wheel. They are replacing the wheel and said the tire has a tear in it so they will replace that too.

But I can't imagine it makes sense to replace one rear tire with 8k miles on the other one. I am inclined to complain about this but wanted some thoughts. I could use some actual facts about why this is not good. I just assume it isn't from a performance aspect at least. I drive my V.

Anyone? Thanks!!

Rolex
08-20-12, 08:30 PM
OP: post your CTS V questions in the CTS V forums and you'll get the answers you're looking for. :)

:moved: from Site Questions and Feedback forum.

larry arizona
08-20-12, 09:50 PM
take the free new tire, buy a second new rear and enjoy catching the new rears up to your 8000 mile fronts. At that rate you will wear out all 4 at about the same time and have a spare just in case with 8000 miles on it. Or sell the half used rear...... You got options

Trapspeed
08-20-12, 10:56 PM
I don't know that you'll get any hardcore facts about it being unsafe or "bad" other than the obvious wear times on the other three. In inclement weather when one rear is worn beyond the other it may give you a traction issue that the computer is incapable of correcting. Hard to say really but physics is physics.

baabootoo
08-20-12, 11:59 PM
Take the freebie.

thebigjimsho
08-21-12, 07:50 AM
It depends on the tire. If its a Hankook evo, 8k miles will leave you with about 80% tread and a non-issue...

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-21-12, 10:04 AM
Pdetti, please let me know if you'd like me to follow up with your dealer at any point to gather details for you! My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and I'm happy to investigate further on your behalf!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

shchow
08-21-12, 11:06 AM
take the free new tire, buy a second new rear and enjoy catching the new rears up to your 8000 mile fronts. At that rate you will wear out all 4 at about the same time and have a spare just in case with 8000 miles on it. Or sell the half used rear...... You got options

+1,
Buy another rear tire and keep the 8k as spare...

larry arizona
08-21-12, 01:05 PM
assumed based on a 2012 V with 8000 miles that is was the stock PS2's.

pdetti
08-23-12, 09:35 AM
Yes the oem tire is all they will do. I was planning on trying to find something with a little better tread life when it comes time to replace. So I just wanted to make sure aside from the fact that it is dumb to have one new tire, that it wouldn't mess anything up with the traction control/safety. Dealer cost for the tire is higher than Tire rack! So I can't even get a deal on the other one.

Trapspeed
08-23-12, 10:14 AM
Dealer cost for the tire is higher than Tire rack! So I can't even get a deal on the other one.

Don't swallow that for a second. Maybe the number they showed you but considering they're in bed with Michelin don't believe that line.

pdetti
08-24-12, 12:12 PM
Don't swallow that for a second. Maybe the number they showed you but considering they're in bed with Michelin don't believe that line.

I don't believe it but that is what they said. Nothing added on, it is what they pay. Which is such crap. GM pays more for tires specifically made for CTS-V than Tire Rack can SELL them for? lol On top of that, they submitted this for warranty service, which means it is costing the dealer nothing and they get paid for their time. So they ruined my wheel and tire, now I get an odd single new tire and they get paid to fix it. Unreal.

Plus all the inconvenience of not only this but all the other hassles I have gone thru with my shifting seat that they finally fixed and messed up my interior while doing it. Then when they fixed all that they scratched the black trim and ruined the wheel. I notice a small tear in the material along the center console now that i just cant be bothered with. Tons of trips back and forth, 25 minutes each way. Just unreal. And all the interior cheap plastic creaks all over the place and now my seat back clunks and shifts and is just horrible. The "Recaro" seats are so cheaply made it is unreal. Thank god for the Corvette engine and Brembo brakes! Seriously the only good thing about this car aside from the looks.

Sorry for the rant guys but very disappointed in the car overall and even more disappointed with the dealer.