: Will check engine light flash while torque converter slips if slipping?

truckinman
08-19-12, 07:23 PM
Just as title goes. Friday I noticed my car is hesitating sometimes during acceleration. Mostly in 5th gear when accelerating lightly enough that it doesn't kick down a gear, yet it's accelerating. But it'll almost feel more like it's misfiring more than slipping. The RPMs don't rev up at all like it's slipping or anything but there is a slight shutter intermittently. Like even going up a hill. If it maintains it's speed while not kicking down a gear it will do a periodic shutter.

If I accelerate hard from a stop, it'll do it to but again, feels more like a misfire to me, and when it does it from a stop, the check engine light will flash 3-5 times then stop.

So is it my worst fear? I've just never heard of the engine light coming on for something so mechanical b4. But then again only cars I've had the TC go out in was a 1987 buck Lesabre and a 94 Chrysler LHS. But those felt more like a clutch going out where the engine would rev up when accelerating to hard. Just figured I'd see. I'm hoping for more like a bad injector or bad coil pack. Lol. But expecting worse.

It's a 2005 STS 3.6 88k miles. Thanks guys

Submariner409
08-19-12, 07:42 PM
The CEL flashes during severe misfire and is steady when occasional misfire is detected - I think there's a blurb on this in the owner's manual.

truckinman
08-19-12, 07:46 PM
The CEL flashes during severe misfire and is steady when occasional misfire is detected - I think there's a blurb on this in the owner's manual.

Ok I like the sound of this. So there's a chance I don't have a bad converter then? I'll read up on that. Like I said I just didn't think that light came on if a TC was bad. So possible good news there! Thanks sub!

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-19-12, 07:46 PM
Mine does it too, same motor, same year but no check engine light I think it's the torque converter because a motor not firing correctly should throw code/ light

truckinman
08-19-12, 07:50 PM
Mine does it too, same motor, same year but no check engine light I think it's the torque converter because a motor not firing correctly should throw code/ light

Sorry to hear your troubles darkming. Yea if yours doesn't throw a code n mine does, maybe I got lucky...

dannyquest
08-19-12, 08:47 PM
truckinman, That what my 06 STS v6 was doing but no code was giving. Started at 63,500 miles. I thought it needed spark plugs. Well that didn't help. Only gotten worse. The Cadillac Dealer said it needed a transmission soft ware up grade. That only made my wallet thinner by $130. At 76,000 miles it was doing what your STS is doing now. Cadillac installed a new torque converter. Now I have 81,000 miles, runs and shift very smooth. Danny

truckinman
08-19-12, 08:58 PM
truckinman, That what my 06 STS v6 was doing but no code was giving. Started at 63,500 miles. I thought it needed spark plugs. Well that didn't help. Only gotten worse. The Cadillac Dealer said it needed a transmission soft ware up grade. That only made my wallet thinner by $130. At 76,000 miles it was doing what your STS is doing now. Cadillac installed a new torque converter. Now I have 81,000 miles, runs and shift very smooth. Danny

I appreciate the info. I don't have a warranty on this car right now so I'm trying to eliminate the cheaper possibilities first. And from what I've been reading, bout only diff between a bad torque converter and something causing it to misfire, far as symptoms go, is the check engine light. Which mine is doing. So I'm gonna play the optimism card and hope it's a bad coil and or spark plugs. Time will tell tho.

Mullah88
08-19-12, 11:53 PM
mine is doing the same thing now, it used to flash when the car chugged but it finally lit up and stayed on. its at the Cadillac dealer on shop road in Charlotte NC, ill get it back on Tuesday and update my thread and also let you know what they fixed. i was told that it was the ignition coil, a spark plug and a bad plenum gasket! i decided to take it to Cadillac and pay the $100 (warranty direct, you should look them up) deductible and let them fix it

truckinman
08-20-12, 12:09 AM
mine is doing the same thing now, it used to flash when the car chugged but it finally lit up and stayed on. its at the Cadillac dealer on shop road in Charlotte NC, ill get it back on Tuesday and update my thread and also let you know what they fixed. i was told that it was the ignition coil, a spark plug and a bad plenum gasket! i decided to take it to Cadillac and pay the $100 (warranty direct, you should look them up) deductible and let them fix it

Sounds good man thanks. Yea I'll check them out. Do you know by chance if there's a time limit from the time you obtain their warranty to when you can start using it? Or can you use it right away? My step dad might have them come to think of it. He said he just had warranty work done at the Toyota dealer on his 06 Avalon limited. 2 grand worth of work and he only paid 100 bucks! He even got a loaner car. 2012 camry.

burkewm
08-20-12, 09:24 AM
Mine is doing the exact same thing, but check engine light doesn't come on. Dropping it off on Wednesday, wondering what kind of loaner they're gonna give me :cool2:

Edit: Must've jinxed myself or something, because it just happened again on the way home and the check engine light flashed half a dozen times or so... just bought this car less than a month ago, and it only has ~12k miles on it... what's the deal?!?!

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-20-12, 05:44 PM
Let us know what the outcome is burke

Midnight
08-20-12, 06:29 PM
Mine was doing something somewhat similar -- when I accelerated lightly from 40mph or so, it would feel like it's hesitating. The shift points didn't feel right, it felt like it was lugging, like it should downshift, every other auto I've ever driven would have downshifted, but it resisted. Resetting the "learning" of the transmission seemed to provide a temporary fix (disconnect battery etc).

In my case, a transmission reprogram at the dealer worked beautifully. I think I have a fairly early 2005 (4.6L). I never got any check engine lights for this though, but it was amazing to me the difference a software update could make.

good luck.

EChas3
08-20-12, 10:29 PM
Do you know by chance if there's a time limit from the time you obtain their warranty to when you can start using it? Or can you use it right away?

In my experience, once warranty coverage lapses, it takes an inspection to get another one.

burkewm
08-21-12, 12:41 PM
Let us know what the outcome is burke

Will do. It has gotten significantly worse over the last three days. Prior to this past weekend, it would usually only do it if i was driving slightly uphill and trying to lightly accelerate to keep the car moving at the same speed. Now it is happening at all different speeds and the engine light has been on for over 24 hours. Dropped it off this morning, and got a 2011 SRX loaner... not too shabby.

burkewm
08-21-12, 03:38 PM
Shorted ignition coil in cylinder #2. Didn't think it would be that simple... lucky me I suppose!

Ludacrisvp
08-21-12, 03:46 PM
Shorted ignition coil in cylinder #2. Didn't think it would be that simple... lucky me I suppose!

So how was the srx test drive?

burkewm
08-21-12, 04:43 PM
So how was the srx test drive?

Not bad at all. Has pretty good pickup. Of course the 70 year old woman who was in line in front of me at the service desk got the SRX4 3.6L and me the regular one... but lots of nice features, the slide-up nav screen and the panoramic sunroof are pretty cool.

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-21-12, 06:40 PM
Will do. It has gotten significantly worse over the last three days. Prior to this past weekend, it would usually only do it if i was driving slightly uphill and trying to lightly accelerate to keep the car moving at the same speed. Now it is happening at all different speeds and the engine light has been on for over 24 hours. Dropped it off this morning, and got a 2011 SRX loaner... not too shabby.

Exactly what mine does but no engine light at all

burkewm
08-21-12, 06:54 PM
Mine didn't set off the engine light until yesterday, FWIW, and had been doing it for a couple weeks now.

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-21-12, 09:21 PM
Mine has been doing it for months when I drive it(light foot) but when somebody else drives it with a heavy foot it doesn't do it

truckinman
08-24-12, 11:14 AM
Had it scanned and my CEL flashed bc of a cyl 3 misfire. Now the fun begins diagnosing the exact cause

truckinman
08-24-12, 04:47 PM
I went ahead and switched cyl 3 and 5 ignition coil around and now it's throwing a code for misfire on cyl 5. So I ordered a new coil. Made me happy. Lol

burkewm
08-24-12, 06:13 PM
There you go, same as mine. I figured it would be after your description. Hope I made it easier for you.

truckinman
08-24-12, 06:56 PM
Yes sir. Yours gave me hope anyway. Lol. I'm just proud I figured it out. Lol. I'm so use to only working on jeeps I was unsure about working on this. Lol. But it paid off.