: seafoam use

1harleyman
08-19-12, 10:26 AM
I am planning on running seafoam thru my '06 sts, has any one done this? Which vaccum line is the best to use for this? I ve used this on older cars but not on this new of one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

eatyoursandwich
08-19-12, 10:44 AM
I am planning on running seafoam thru my '06 sts, has any one done this? Which vaccum line is the best to use for this? I ve used this on older cars but not on this new of one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Similar if not the same engine, IIRC.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/191325-seafoamed-my-car-today.html

Plenty of people have done it -- I plan to around 50,000 miles. It's pretty idiot proof, but then again there are people pouring sand in their intake and running the engine to port and polish.

As far as the vacuum line, you'll just want to pour the seafoam down the vacuum intake hose.

When you take the line off and start the car and have it run at idle, you will hear a vacuum sound coming out of the vacuum intake -- pour your mixture in there -- with a funnel obviously.

1harleyman
08-19-12, 11:03 AM
Thank You, just wanted to be sure which line was best.

KingMack
03-09-13, 12:26 AM
Which line is this?? Vacuum line where is that on the 05 STS

vincentm
03-09-13, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't recommend doing so, its only good for causing alot of smoke..

MoistCabbage
03-09-13, 01:44 AM
^^This^^! Seafoam is a great parts cleaner, but DO NOT let it be ingested into a running engine. It's essentially paint thinner, will make a good smoke show, probably foul your plugs, but will not clean anything. GM specifically warns against using any additives or snake oils.

What are you hoping to accomplish? What makes you think your engine is "dirty" in the first place?

KingMack
03-09-13, 02:55 AM
Thanks for letting me know. Long story short I had to replace my engine my original one (stock) timing chain sketched...I finally got a replacement and installed it. Of course it let out a ton of white smoke I guess burning or clearing out whatever was in there over the years. In another thread a member told me to try it(seaform). What are your thoughts? The car is shaky and still smokes a lil. Its also running hot but I think that is because the coolant isnt going all the way through the system I believe it may have some air in there so I going to "burp" it tomorrow, and see if that helps me any. Thanks for any help.

EChas3
03-09-13, 01:23 PM
Perhaps as a last resort...

Opinions vary!

Submariner409
03-09-13, 01:35 PM
Use all the Seafoam you want - It actually does nothing but I get a kickback for every can I sell ............

Ever hydrolock an engine by sucking liquid into the intake manifold through the brake booster vacuum line ??? The results are not pretty.

dkozloski
03-09-13, 11:48 PM
Plain water in a spray bottle will do all the cleaning that Sea-Foam will do when carefully sprayed into the intake of a running engine. It's an oldtime mechanics trick that does an excellent job of cleaning the carbon out of an engine.

MoistCabbage
03-10-13, 01:27 AM
Have any before and after pictures of engine internals "cleaned" in that manner?

----------

Thanks for letting me know. Long story short I had to replace my engine my original one (stock) timing chain sketched...I finally got a replacement and installed it. Of course it let out a ton of white smoke I guess burning or clearing out whatever was in there over the years. In another thread a member told me to try it(seaform). What are your thoughts? The car is shaky and still smokes a lil. Its also running hot but I think that is because the coolant isnt going all the way through the system I believe it may have some air in there so I going to "burp" it tomorrow, and see if that helps me any. Thanks for any help.What does the white smoke smell like? Sweet like coolant? Like fuel? No smell?

IF Seafoam worked, it wouldn't stop an engine from smoking, or running hot.

brougham
03-10-13, 03:20 AM
Plain water in a spray bottle will do all the cleaning that Sea-Foam will do when carefully sprayed into the intake of a running engine. It's an oldtime mechanics trick that does an excellent job of cleaning the carbon out of an engine.

That is an old trick, but works.

None of this should be needed for any newer car tho.

MoistCabbage
03-10-13, 06:19 AM
What does the white smoke smell like? Sweet like coolant? Like fuel? No smell?

IF Seafoam worked, it wouldn't stop an engine from smoking, or running hot.Disregard this. I posted in your thread.