: Grille/front badge options

silverstreaker
08-19-12, 02:33 AM
Can the cadillac emblem/crest be removed from the front grille without a trace or is there an aftermarket grille option without the emblem? I want the grille style to match the lower grille but I would consider a completely custom setup (in black). What are there for affordable options out there. I bought a grilled similar to the V grilled for my 300c on ebay for 70 bucks but I'm not seeing much on ebay for the V.

BigDog001
08-19-12, 07:14 AM
Got mine here -- expensive but I love it. You can get it with or without the emblem -- I wanted the emblem.

http://www.racemeshgrilles.com/

larry arizona
08-19-12, 07:31 AM
Wow that is steep for two mesh grills.....

CoppeR
08-19-12, 11:28 AM
These are all over ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-11-CADILLAC-CTS-V-MESH-UPPER-HOOD-GRILLE-CHROME-ABS-/160866012000?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2011%7CModel%3ACTS&hash=item25745c8b60&vxp=mtr

silverstreaker
08-19-12, 01:20 PM
These are all over ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-11-CADILLAC-CTS-V-MESH-UPPER-HOOD-GRILLE-CHROME-ABS-/160866012000?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2011%7CModel%3ACTS&hash=item25745c8b60&vxp=mtr

Yes, but strangely enough, they dont offer them in black. They should be able to offer upper and lower for approx 150 shipped in black which, to me, is better than painting or plasti-dipping myself.

Stillborn
08-19-12, 03:41 PM
plasi-dip it, it will cost you 12.00 and a few hours at best. or bring it to a shop and get it sprayed,... but plasti dip is waaaay better imho as you can (and will need to from time to time) do touch-ups from road hazards. i had to hit mine up with a touch-up a few weeks ago after some assh*le decided to race himself and went in the breakdown lane thus causing rocks to bombard everyone's cars. came home, assessed the damage, rattled the can, and applied...down the road in 5 mins. try that with paint or powdercoat....cant be done. ;)

silverstreaker
08-19-12, 10:17 PM
plasi-dip it, it will cost you 12.00 and a few hours at best. or bring it to a shop and get it sprayed,... but plasti dip is waaaay better imho as you can (and will need to from time to time) do touch-ups from road hazards. i had to hit mine up with a touch-up a few weeks ago after some assh*le decided to race himself and went in the breakdown lane thus causing rocks to bombard everyone's cars. came home, assessed the damage, rattled the can, and applied...down the road in 5 mins. try that with paint or powdercoat....cant be done. ;)
I want all emblems gone so I think that requires a different grille, otherwise I might give the plasti-dip a whack.

Stillborn
08-20-12, 02:51 PM
i was alluding to plasti-dipping whatever grill (stock or debadged aftermarket) you decide to get, as you wont find any that come in black. (other than the 1200.00 option)

silverstreaker
08-20-12, 03:48 PM
i was alluding to plasti-dipping whatever grill (stock or debadged aftermarket) you decide to get, as you wont find any that come in black. (other than the 1200.00 option)
ah, got it. it just a shame if the abs plastic underneath was black anyway. I just can't believe in a black out world, that they dont offer a black grille option.

WA 2 FST
08-20-12, 03:49 PM

Which just completely stinks. This is a fantastic car... I thoroughly enjoy driving it. However, trying to do anything aftermarket is a royal pain (wheels/tires, blackout trim, etc). Racemesh is awesome, but extremely pricey, as noted. Anyone know what the stockers cost from Cadillac?

j_king
08-20-12, 06:01 PM
Which just completely stinks. This is a fantastic car... I thoroughly enjoy driving it. However, trying to do anything aftermarket is a royal pain (wheels/tires, blackout trim, etc). Racemesh is awesome, but extremely pricey, as noted. Anyone know what the stockers cost from Cadillac?

Some guy on eBay is selling OEM grilles for $400 which is a little crazy if you ask me. I did find another seller who I bought a used OEM one with a cracked emblem for $130. Just got it in today actually and it looks good minus the emblem which I'll switch out.

I'm thinking about going the krylon route for the same "touch-up-ability". Tried the plasti dip and just wasn't impressed with the somewhat texturized finish. Maybe I did it wrong though.

Stillborn
08-20-12, 06:27 PM
j king, if you got texture it was because you were to close and did not keep it moving in even increments, or you didn't shake the can long enough, at least 2 mins prior to use. mines as smooth as a baby's arse. it does take some practice. i painted a few old pieces of extra siding i had laying around before i jumped to the car.

hlantin
08-20-12, 06:54 PM
Here's the option from GM, but it's not any cheaper. Haven't heard of anyone picking these up (Black Chrome Grille from GM)..

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/en-US/CTS-V%20Sedan/2013/Accessories/Exterior/Grille/

j_king
08-20-12, 07:35 PM
j king, if you got texture it was because you were to close and did not keep it moving in even increments, or you didn't shake the can long enough, at least 2 mins prior to use. mines as smooth as a baby's arse. it does take some practice. i painted a few old pieces of extra siding i had laying around before i jumped to the car.

Yea, mine turned out almost fuzzy, maybe textured was a bad description. I read that the "fuzziness" comes from spraying from too far away, which is definitely a possibility of what I might have done. I think I might practice on a few pieces like you said since I still have a few cans left.

WA 2 FST
08-20-12, 09:06 PM
Here's the option from GM, but it's not any cheaper. Haven't heard of anyone picking these up (Black Chrome Grille from GM)..

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/en-US/CTS-V%20Sedan/2013/Accessories/Exterior/Grille/

That's cheaper than Racemesh. The problem is if you are going to consider this option, then you need to be able to do Black Chrome on the side louvers, window trim, and rear license plate frame.

Stillborn... how does the Plasti-dip hold up to hand washing the car? Where I'm at (N. Texas) there are plenty of bugs... they get on the grille... and they have to be scrubbed off sometimes. I am concerned the Plastidip will not hold up. Thx.

silverstreaker
08-21-12, 02:54 AM
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels that all other solutions to date are not permanent. I'd hate to spend 5K on a satin black paint job only to have a plasti-dipped grille that I will have to continue to touch up. Black grilles please and under 200 for a set up upper and lower please. they make them for the 300c and that grille is much larger.

Xaqtly
08-21-12, 01:22 PM
FWIW I plastidipped my front grilles, just went on a 1200 mile trip to Santa Cruz and back, car was covered in bugs, so I went to a car wash they scrubbed the bugs off and went through the wash. Came out the other end completely bug-free and not a single piece of plastidip out of place. As long as you put a sufficient number of coats on (I did 4 coats, you can do 5 or 6) the plastidip is not going to come off no matter what you do to it aside from laceration from sharp objects.

I have had to touch it up once because of a fight with a tumbleweed, but that was a laceration issue. Bugs, most road debris and car washes aren't going to take the plastidip off.

WA 2 FST
08-21-12, 01:27 PM
Thank you for this info, Xaqtly. Much appreciated from those of us unfamiliar with the product.