: Subaru SVX .... Any thoughts?

orconn
08-18-12, 05:32 PM
I was lucky enough to have a couple of friends who had Subaru SVXs back in the mid 1990's, so got a chance to send quite a bit of time e behind the wheel of this remarkable model Subaru. My first introduction to the SVX was in the a Subaru showroom while I was looking at a Outback as a possible purchase. While I was impressed with the Outback, I was really drawn to almost "concept car" uniqueness of the SVX that was also on the showroom floor. I asked for a demo drive and was was really taken aback with the handling of the car .... probably the best handling new car I had driven in the the '90's!

I was sorely tempted by the SVX, but kept coming back to the fact that I really loved my almost new Alfa Romeo 164S, and with two competition hunter/jumper horses to keep in food, board and training, my budget didn't allow a fourth car in the scuderia.

About that time, a friend of mine had her Avanti totaled in a wreck and had replaced it with a Subaru SVX. And shortly after that another friend got one too. At one point we swapped cars for a week for me to see if the SVX really filled the bill for me!.

I've got to say that I really loved the car. Not only was it a unique style of coupe, but the side window configuration was certainly different (as time went on I grew to really dislike the split driver's window). The handling, with the four wheel drive and low center of gravity permitted by the "Boxer" engine configuration was really special and for a drive in the evening the car was great. but I am glad I had the use of one for a week in Southern California as the price to to be paid for all that glass surrounding the cockpit really became evident. The air conditioning was only marginal when the sun was out and rays coming through the windows became almost intolerable. Hot, Hot, Hot! It was so uncomfortable that I quickly determined that a SVX as a daily driver was out of the question.

I would still add one to a collection though, if I had the room!

Stingroo
08-18-12, 05:38 PM
I test drove a '94 FWD L model when I was car shopping. Love that car, honestly. They're great looking, the split window is COOL as hell, and they are quite fast.

230hp in something that size was quite alot in its day.

orconn
08-18-12, 05:40 PM
^^^ certainly more than adequate, especially since the car will out handle all but the most specialized!

brandondeleo
08-18-12, 05:46 PM
I think they're cool cars. God knows they've got enough character. Quirky is a pretty good word to describe them. They've got plenty of get-up-and-go, too. I'm torn on the windows, though. They're really freaking cool, but they're REALLY impractical. I want to see someone use a drive-through in one. :lol: I just wish they didn't drop the body line for the bigger side windows. If it was straight across from the mirror to the C pillar I feel like it would look better. Other than that body line drop for the huge windows, I love the look of the car.

...you could just tint the windows. :thepan:

Playdrv4me
08-18-12, 07:15 PM
I think the windows are less of an issue than just being a weak AC system. The Rover has an insane amount of glass real estate and even in 100 degree heat a properly functioning AC in one of those can freeze you out of the car.

orconn
08-18-12, 08:12 PM
I think it had as much to do with the huge windshield that allowed so much direct sun to heat up the front passengers. Also the tumblehome of the side windows also contributed. Better air conditioning probably would ahve helped, but not as much as the overhang shelter that a Rangerover's more squared off roofline, particularly over the front seats. More and darker tinting probably would have helped greatly also!

truckinman
08-18-12, 08:27 PM
The split window always makes me think of the Lamborghini contasch (spelling?). I love the look but I've always imagined it to be nothing more than a blind spot from the drivers perspective.

Stingroo
08-18-12, 09:46 PM
Dark tinting? Not a problem here with that. :)

They're still rather SVXy cars.

:rimshot:

ted tcb
08-18-12, 09:46 PM
I always wanted an SVX, but lurking on the Subaru forums, they talk about the overburdened transmission
being very, very fragile.
I've read that Subaru considered this a Halo car, and lost upwards of $3k on every unit sold.

At almost $30k in 1992, it was a lot of coin back then for a Subaru.
That was 300ZX money, a sports car with an established pedigree.
Plus, unlike the SVX, the Z came with a proper 5spd manual transmission.

Still, the SVX was unlike any other car on the road, basically a show car.

Stingroo
08-18-12, 09:49 PM
Ted - on the SVX world network forums there are a few running around with 5 speed swaps from WRXes. That'd be my idea... buy one with a junk trans, swap, enjoy forever.

Aron9000
08-19-12, 02:32 AM
I think they're horribly ugly and that split window treatment is a sad gimmick.

I always wanted an SVX, but lurking on the Subaru forums, they talk about the overburdened transmission
being very, very fragile.
I've read that Subaru considered this a Halo car, and lost upwards of $3k on every unit sold.

At almost $30k in 1992, it was a lot of coin back then for a Subaru.
That was 300ZX money, a sports car with an established pedigree.
Plus, unlike the SVX, the Z came with a proper 5spd manual transmission.

Still, the SVX was unlike any other car on the road, basically a show car.

For 30k in 1992 you could buy a lot more interesting looking coupes:

Well 32k bought you this, to toot my own horn:
http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/50071366905.jpg (http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewgallery.php?action=viewimg&id=366905)

Or this as already mentioned:
http://www.thesupercars.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Nissan-300ZX.jpg

$33k bought you a Vette, with the new 300hp LT1 V8
http://pics.hoobly.com/full/VRFPNQMKZKYCWL8AVQ.jpg

$32k bought you probably the best handling car made back then:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/media/images/sf_1993-95-mazda-rx7_lead1/1680406-1-eng-US/sf_1993-95-mazda-rx7_lead1.jpg

Just saying there was some pretty stiff competition back in the early 90's coupe market.

Jesda
08-19-12, 02:48 AM
One of Japan's coolest cars, but the transmissions are made of papier-maché.

orconn
08-19-12, 01:53 PM

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/50071366905.jpg (http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewgallery.php?action=viewimg&id=366905)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/media/images/sf_1993-95-mazda-rx7_lead1/1680406-1-eng-US/sf_1993-95-mazda-rx7_lead1.jpg

Just saying there was some pretty stiff competition back in the early 90's coupe market.

Sorry, the only one that comes close in handling was the Lotus, the rest were just "more of the same" old story. As for the Lexus coupe, like the contemporary model, it was mostly driven by 30 something women, guys were rarely seen in one (very true in L.A. back in the '90's)!

If you haven't actually driven a Subaru SVX you can be forgiven your ignorance. Like the Lotus its' handling made up for "kid racer" power under the hood. If you were driving a SVX up the Angeles Crest Highway and the other guys were in the other cars, you would be on your second sandwich when the other guys showed up!

The Raven
08-20-12, 12:42 PM
Yeah I have to agree, the only cars in those pics that look even as good as the SVX are the Vette and RX-7. I had a 1992 SVX in Claret/Black. Fascinating car...had fully variable AWD, 4-wheel steering, digital climate control, rain-sensing wipers, and projector headlights...this was in 1992 mind you. But it was a maintenance nightmare...parts had to be shipped from japan and cost a massive premium to begin with...I must have spent at least $10k in fixing stuff in that car in the time I owned it.

The part I remember most fondly is the car's high-speed handling. That car felt incredibly planted at even 150mph...where most cars got floaty at high speed, the SVX felt more locked-down the faster you pushed it.

ryannel2003
08-20-12, 01:15 PM
I think the windows are less of an issue than just being a weak AC system. The Rover has an insane amount of glass real estate and even in 100 degree heat a properly functioning AC in one of those can freeze you out of the car.

It's a German thing! Even though you're Rover is British... with some BMW stuff. A/C in the 3 freezes me out of the damn car. Just the way I like it!

ryannel2003
08-20-12, 01:17 PM

I would own all of those cars expect for the Vette... just don't like the C4's at all.

orconn
08-20-12, 02:26 PM
Yeah I have to agree, the only cars in those pics that look even as good as the SVX are the Vette and RX-7. I had a 1992 SVX in Claret/Black. Fascinating car...had fully variable AWD, 4-wheel steering, digital climate control, rain-sensing wipers, and projector headlights...this was in 1992 mind you. But it was a maintenance nightmare...parts had to be shipped from japan and cost a massive premium to begin with...I must have spent at least $10k in fixing stuff in that car in the time I owned it.

The part I remember most fondly is the car's high-speed handling. That car felt incredibly planted at even 150mph...where most cars got floaty at high speed, the SVX felt more locked-down the faster you pushed it.

Great to hear from someone who has actually driven and owned a SVX. While I never owned one I remeber my friends talking about all the parts had to be shipped in from Japan which caused long waits for repairs as the cars got older.

My driving experience with the SVX was very much like yours except I would say both lower sppeed and high speed handling was superior to all but the best handling cars in the 1990's. Probably much better than what is available today. All in all a very interesting and unique GT automobile, let's hope Subaru ventures down a similarly advanced path sometime in the future.

brandondeleo
08-20-12, 02:49 PM
I would own all of those cars expect for the Vette... just don't like the C4's at all.
That's funny, the C4 is one of my favorite generations.

truckinman
08-20-12, 03:02 PM
That's funny, the C4 is one of my favorite generations.

The C4 and 5 are my favorites. I damn near bout a 92 C4 with 20k miles on it a couple years ago. Mint condition. One of the best examples of a 92 you could find. 16k bucks. Which I didn't think was bad but decided I just didn't want a second car payment. And I certainly couldnt justify trading my much more practical jeep grand Cherokee in on it. So sadly I walked away. It was exactly what I wanted too. Red. Targa top. 6 spd.

brandondeleo
08-20-12, 05:18 PM
I like the C4, but not enough to buy one unless it's at least an LT1, so '92+. I think they're aggressive and understated at the same time, which I love. Especially in black with chrome wheels...

*cough cough*

truckinman
08-20-12, 06:43 PM
I like the C4, but not enough to buy one unless it's at least an LT1, so '92+. I think they're aggressive and understated at the same time, which I love. Especially in black with chrome wheels...

*cough cough*

Yep 92 was first year for the lt1. Which is why I didn't want one older.

Jesda
08-20-12, 08:04 PM
I love the C5. The C4 was a rolling trash can, but a couple iterations were interesting.

cadillac kevin
08-20-12, 08:08 PM
I love the C5. The C4 was a rolling trash can, but a couple iterations were interesting.

Callaway sledgehammer comes to mind (as far as aftermarket iterations)

The Raven
08-20-12, 11:40 PM

The late C4's were perfectly fine. The quality was much better, and they updated the interior just enough to lose the 80's spaceship feel. The 1996 Grand Sport is surpassed only by the 1967 convertible as my favorite Vette of all time. I'd take either one over a brand new ZR1.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-20-12, 11:48 PM
I love some parts of the C4 and hate some other parts of it. Overall, I really like it though and it's a great piece of '90s Americana.

I have totally forgotten about the SVX though. They weren't quite on par with the turbo 300ZX, RX-7, 3000GT or Supra in terms of power though, correct? They were about 230hp v. the 300-320 of those models, right? What did the SVX run in the 0-60, 1/4 mile?

CadillacLuke24
08-21-12, 12:59 AM

*cough cough*

You're gonna have to wait a bit. I'm not out of school, and I haven't resurrected your DeVille yet. :D

Playdrv4me
08-21-12, 02:02 AM
C5 is just another GM parts bin design. C4 or C6 for me... Found some pics of that '94 I had for about a month last night...

orconn
08-21-12, 02:29 AM
^^^ That Corvette looks great! The wheels really llok great on the car.

truckinman
08-21-12, 02:31 AM
I love some parts of the C4 and hate some other parts of it. Overall, I really like it though and it's a great piece of '90s Americana.

I have totally forgotten about the SVX though. They weren't quite on par with the turbo 300ZX, RX-7, 3000GT or Supra in terms of power though, correct? They were about 230hp v. the 300-320 of those models, right? What did the SVX run in the 0-60, 1/4 mile?

The RX-7 only had 260 hp yet was probably the quickest outa the box car on it's price bracket (as in the others you mentioned) yet had 40-60 less hp than them. 0-60 in something like 4.9 sec. Where as non of the others were much less than 5.5. So HP isn't always a deciding factor. The SVX is the only one, however, which I am not familiar with it's stats. The supra and 3000GT VR-4 had 320 hp, yet were two of the slower ones (depending on the year of the 300ZX). I know that the earlier years, if memory serves me right, were the faster years for the ZX. In 91-92 I wanna say it hit 60 in 5.2. But towards the end of it's run, it was around the 6 sec mark. I'm guessing that's bc legally to be sold in the US, they had to be made safer with air bags and strengthening beams and that crap.

Ive always wanted a supra twin turbo tho. And as I think about it, I think the supra could hit 60 in the low 5's. But even still, judging on power alone, you'd think the RX-7 would be one of the slower ones. But Mazda sure knew how to tune those little rotary engines pretty well.

truckinman
08-21-12, 02:38 AM
The late C4's were perfectly fine. The quality was much better, and they updated the interior just enough to lose the 80's spaceship feel. The 1996 Grand Sport is surpassed only by the 1967 convertible as my favorite Vette of all time. I'd take either one over a brand new ZR1.

91 is when the interior changed for the better. But it had the old 5.7 with only like 240-260 hp. But then 92 rolled out with the 300 hp LT1. The grand sport is one of my all time favorite vettes too. I love em. 330 hp. Only 15 less than the earlier C5's. But they are one pretty penny when you find one for sale. Same with the 67 convertible. Lol. I've seen them sell well over 100k. Sweet cars tho.

Aron9000
08-21-12, 02:40 AM
IMO the C5 looks like they ripped styling cues off an RX-7. Styling wise I much prefer the C4, but the C5 is a better car with better motors.

http://www.geburkitt.com/RX7/RedRX7.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3029/2708737318_5acda60261.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-21-12, 07:29 AM
91 is when the interior changed for the better. But it had the old 5.7 with only like 240-260 hp. But then 92 rolled out with the 300 hp LT1. The grand sport is one of my all time favorite vettes too. I love em. 330 hp. Only 15 less than the earlier C5's. But they are one pretty penny when you find one for sale. Same with the 67 convertible. Lol. I've seen them sell well over 100k. Sweet cars tho.

An SHO from '89-91 would kill an auto Vette of the same year...

thebigjimsho
08-21-12, 07:30 AM
A C5 Z06 is the pinnacle of simple, clean style.

brandondeleo
08-21-12, 09:17 AM
I beg to differ. I think the C4 is a cleaner design.

truckinman
08-21-12, 10:18 AM
An SHO from '89-91 would kill an auto Vette of the same year...

A lotta cars could out run an auto vette from 91 and back. I can't even get over how slow the late 70's and early 80's C3's were. The best engine only offered 200 hp. And the worst was only 180. 0-60 in 9 seconds! But it was the time of the gas crisis. At least of back then. Even an early 80's Z-28 only had 160 hp.

brandondeleo
08-21-12, 11:39 AM
a lotta cars could out run an auto vette from 91 and back. I can't even get over how slow the late 70's and early 80's c3's were. The best engine only offered 200 hp. And the worst was only 180. 0-60 in 9 seconds! But it was the time of the gas crisis. At least of back then. Even an early 80's z-28 only had 160 hp.
LOL9SECONDS

If they fudged a gear change, my slug might have a chance. That's pathetic.

ryannel2003
08-21-12, 12:03 PM
Considering that you spend almost all of your time on the inside of a car, I don't know how anybody likes the C4. The interiors are atrocious on all of them. The C5 is no Rolls Royce, but at least it's clean looking. I like the C6 the best myself, and they're definitely the most comfortable of all the Vette's.

Playdrv4me
08-21-12, 12:16 PM
Considering that you spend almost all of your time on the inside of a car, I don't know how anybody likes the C4. The interiors are atrocious on all of them. The C5 is no Rolls Royce, but at least it's clean looking. I like the C6 the best myself, and they're definitely the most comfortable of all the Vette's.

So if they're ALL atrocious, what's left to distinguish them? In my opinion it is individual character, and THAT is what I liked about the C4 interior versus the C5, which started to look like every other GM "thing" down to the parts bin Delco truck radio.

ryannel2003
08-21-12, 12:46 PM
Because sitting inside those C4's is like sitting in a bathtub. If you're big like I am you have to manuever over the gigantic door sills to even get into the thing and once your inside it looks like a reject interior from Star Trek. At least with the C5 you're presented with a clean design and you don't have to contort yourself into the car. You just sit right in.

brandondeleo
08-21-12, 12:51 PM
I never said anything about the interior (which isn't attractive.) I couldn't own one anyway, since I don't come anywhere near fitting in a C4. I've tried, and it was a painful experience. It's just not my kind of car. I still think it's the more attractive generation. The C5 is still really tight. What it comes down to is that the Corvette IS a small car. Always will be.

truckinman
08-21-12, 02:04 PM
I never said anything about the interior (which isn't attractive.) I couldn't own one anyway, since I don't come anywhere near fitting in a C4. I've tried, and it was a painful experience. It's just not my kind of car. I still think it's the more attractive generation. The C5 is still really tight. What it comes down to is that the Corvette IS a small car. Always will be.

Yea the c4 is hardest to fit in for us bigger guys. Especially thanks to the fore mentioned annoying as hell door sill. C5 is much better. Not near the door sill. And of course from a comfort, handling, and power perspective, the C6 dominates all. I've ridden in all 3. Driven all 3. But I did have most fun driving the 09 C6 with the 430 hp LS3. Just sitting at a red light I could FEEL the torque wanting to rip it outa the intersection the second the light turned green. Ohhh so sweet!

ryannel2003
08-21-12, 04:15 PM
The C6 is definitely the best handling and riding of the bunch with the nicest interior. Let's hope Chevrolet actually does the C7 with an interior that matches the $50k+ price tag!

orconn
08-21-12, 05:12 PM
^^^ Therein's the problem, $50,000 just doesn't get you very much these days. Corvettes were always performance on the cheap, quit bitchin' and enjoy the ride! If a Corvette isn't to your liking there are plenty of inexpensive cars that will cater to your taste.

brandondeleo
08-21-12, 05:20 PM
Corvettes will probably always have cheap ass interiors. They always have. You don't get $50k worth of interior, you get $50k worth of performance. The C5 and C6 interiors don't impress me whatsoever, especially for the price tag. But again, when you buy a Vette, you're not buying it for the interior!

truckinman
08-21-12, 06:05 PM
Corvettes will probably always have cheap ass interiors. They always have. You don't get $50k worth of interior, you get $50k worth of performance. The C5 and C6 interiors don't impress me whatsoever, especially for the price tag. But again, when you buy a Vette, you're not buying it for the interior!

Exactly. People always bitch about the cheapness of their interiors. But that's not why people but a corvette. They buy it bc it's Austin Martin speed. Not saying handling, but speed for the price of a chevy pick up.

ryannel2003
08-21-12, 07:06 PM
I prefer 911's anyway.

thebigjimsho
08-21-12, 11:32 PM
Well, you are a eurosnob...

ryannel2003
08-21-12, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't say that. At all.

thebigjimsho
08-22-12, 01:49 AM
I just did.

brandondeleo
08-22-12, 03:57 AM
http://snapclicker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/obama_oh-snap.jpg#Obama%20oh%20snap%21%20

Jesda
08-22-12, 05:04 AM
IMO the C5 looks like they ripped styling cues off an RX-7. Styling wise I much prefer the C4, but the C5 is a better car with better motors.

Not so coincidentally, those are also among my favorite cars of the 90s. The C5 was supposed to come out sooner and the design was completed years earlier. It was delayed because GM was being GM. The C4, an icon of its era, was terribly dated by 1996 because it was never intended to stick around for that long.

brandondeleo
08-22-12, 05:06 AM
Also, the C4 gauge clusters disgust me.

Jesda
08-22-12, 01:00 PM
I admit to liking the C4 gauges in a very 80s sort of way, not so much a 90s way.

ryannel2003
08-22-12, 03:56 PM
I just did.

Wow you're cool.

orconn
08-22-12, 04:07 PM
It may have been a rattly fiberglass bathtub filled with "kitschy" upholstery and instruments .... but in my opinion the C4 Corvette was one of the best looking of all the Corvettes. The design was a sophisticated GT automobile that didn't pander to the seventy something "boy racer" set!

thebigjimsho
08-22-12, 05:26 PM
Wow you're cool.Wow you're easy.

Jesda
08-22-12, 07:55 PM
Y'all are sluts.

thebigjimsho
08-22-12, 08:20 PM
wut.

brandondeleo
08-22-12, 08:22 PM
Y'all are sluts.
Everybody's got a price.

Yours just happens to be discounted. :duck:

truckinman
08-22-12, 09:17 PM
Wow you're easy.

Lmao!!! Idk why but that had me rolling!

BIGREECE
08-22-12, 10:35 PM
The Subaru SVX and other cars of that genre will be on Top Gear next Tuesday, Should be interesting?

Aron9000
08-22-12, 11:22 PM

I really am not asking for much with the Corvette interior. I'd just like it if they made it to the standard of fit and finish in a $15,000 Honda Fit, Ford Festiva, or Chevy Cruze.

truckinman
08-23-12, 12:31 AM
^^^ I can see what youre saying with that post. And you're right. The cruze actually has a respectable interior for an economy car. So surely they could put the same treatment into their 50k sports car. I don't know what the C7 holds in store for us, but maybe, just maybe, Chevy took that into consideration. Guess time will tell eh?

Night Wolf
08-23-12, 02:08 AM

I want 1992 back.

But not this part two years later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMLH_QyPTYM