: quote for satin black (hot rod black) paint job

silverstreaker
08-18-12, 02:38 AM
quote includes a color change from Silver to Black, to include all chrome (chrome will need to be all sanded, scuffed). Includeds door jambs, under hood all silver covered in satin/matte black.
Time quoted was 1 week and $5000 OTD. Is that reasonable?

rjoffe
08-18-12, 10:27 AM
Sounds inexpensive to me.

Mike02z
08-18-12, 11:18 AM
Depends how good the job is done. If as good as factory, it's a good price but I don't it would be that good. Of course, if done right you won't have the orange peel that most of us have from the factory paint job. Mine is not too bad but all cars painted with robots have it to some degree. More exotic manufactures will wet sand down their paint to remove the orange peel by not GM.

Razorecko
08-20-12, 11:22 AM
Why not just do a vinyl wrap ? They're really durable, cost about $2k for a good job and wont kill your resale value as you can just peel it off before you sell it.

silverstreaker
08-20-12, 03:54 PM
Why not just do a vinyl wrap ? They're really durable, cost about $2k for a good job and wont kill your resale value as you can just peel it off before you sell it.
I dont know of any places in NH/VT/MA that complete wraps and I think it would look funny to have black doors and silver door jambs.

bobrules
08-20-12, 11:07 PM
they taking the car apart?

price doesn't really tell alot, if they're using cheaper chemicals and aren't taking the car apart, might not be a good price. if they're using good paint and doing alot of prep (removing trim, removing bumpers, loosening ground effects so you dont' end up with seams where panels meet etc) it could be a good price.

silverstreaker
08-20-12, 11:30 PM
they taking the car apart?

price doesn't really tell alot, if they're using cheaper chemicals and aren't taking the car apart, might not be a good price. if they're using good paint and doing alot of prep (removing trim, removing bumpers, loosening ground effects so you dont' end up with seams where panels meet etc) it could be a good price.
Yes, car is coming apart, he said its not going to be a simple spray job. I just hate to spend that much on what could be performance mods. Ugh.

qictrk
08-20-12, 11:52 PM
Sounds very reasonable to me, as long as the painter agrees to make sure that there is no visable signs of overspray. Cecil..............

LV_V
09-09-12, 03:46 PM
Are you doing it just to change colors or is your factory paint in bad condition? If the former, I would find a GOOD shop to do a full wrap, including the jambs.

larry arizona
09-09-12, 06:55 PM
Being a former autobody/painter, Color changes SUCK! PITA and $5000 is cheap these days. 20 years ago, I was doing color changes on Vettes for $5K. Fully wet sanded and polished to a mirror (ZERO peel). Ton of labor pulling things apart to erase any reasonable trace of original body color. But I gotta ask you seriously, Are you sure you want flat black? Think it through, as it will destroy your resale, many will say they love it, but nobody would buy it or want to own it. Just be sure.

I am not familiar with wraps, but if its an option and can satisfy your need for flat black, I would opt for that.

larry arizona
09-09-12, 06:58 PM
If you recall the seafoam/teal green Corvettes from the early 90's, I color changed 3 of them. Two to black and one to red. Paid for a year of college woot woot

silverstreaker
09-10-12, 01:06 AM
Thanks Larry. You are not the first person to mention the resale issue. However, as with anything auto related, mods narrow your your resale audience. I have always been fortunate and have always been able to find a buyer for my modded vehicles. If someone could tell me without a doubt that a wrap will work, I'd go that route. i would also have to find someone to plasti dip all the chrome. I would expect I could get all that done for about half of the $5000 price tag, its just finding someone in the northeast that can do it. I had originally wanted to go that route so both could be removed and reveal an unfaded, undamaged silver/chrome scheme.

ClarkkentCTSV
09-10-12, 01:49 AM
I have seen some really awesome wrapped cars, you could not tell it was wrapped until you looked at the
engine bay. Door jams, under hood, and inside of trunk all wrapped. I don't think they can wrap around the
engine bay. A complete color change on a car as light as silver to black is very expensive if done correctly.
5K sounds like its too good to be true for a color change with quality work and paint. You know what they
say when it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

silverstreaker
09-10-12, 11:32 PM
I have seen some really awesome wrapped cars, you could not tell it was wrapped until you looked at the
engine bay. Door jams, under hood, and inside of trunk all wrapped. I don't think they can wrap around the
engine bay. A complete color change on a car as light as silver to black is very expensive if done correctly.
5K sounds like its too good to be true for a color change with quality work and paint. You know what they
say when it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

The person doing it is a long time friend of mine and I will help with the wrenching. Value of the paint job could very well be more, I just want to get an idea of what it could cost. I would agree with you, if done right, this is a very expensive job. I also feel that it will be unique and based on it's uniqueness, it would make resale challenging but may be rewarding with the right buyer.

jb_bgg
09-20-12, 06:20 PM
2nd on the full wrap. Definitely leaves your options open down the road. Plastidip is simple and if you can help wrench you can do the chrome, grills, etc. yourself.

TheDarkKnight
09-20-12, 06:48 PM
I got a quote for a 3m matte black wrap on my sedan for 1900. :thinking:

2007ThunderV
10-01-12, 05:35 PM
wrap all the way, i would not piss around having the car stripped and painted , recipe for disaster, lots of stuff will have to be removed.
i would rather plasti dip the whole car before i paint the whole car.