: Air Fliter Replacement

EChas3
08-17-12, 08:53 PM
I've done a few searches and come up empty. Anyone care to provide a link to an Air Filter replacement procedure or detail their process? I can recall a few threads complaining about the difficulty in keeping the casing-bottom tabs aligned. I also recall someone neglecting to reattach some plumbing.

I thought someone posted a thread but if so, it's hiding from me.

orange57
08-18-12, 02:26 PM
there probably isn't a write up on it. It's really not that difficult to do. Like you mentioned, just make sure you align the tabs at the bottom. If you have ever replaced an air filter on a car, this one isn't so much differnt, just at a kind of funny angle.

EChas3
08-18-12, 06:01 PM
I took my time with both cars and spent about 40 minutes, including gentle use of shop-vac. The left side engine cover & coolent overflow hose are very slightly different 2006 1SG to 2007 1SE. I'm not sure why one member cursed the design; it may be the easiest OEM CAI-style replacement I've done. The filter element is thin enough that R & R is easy:

1. Open hood & remove left (driver-side) & center engine covers (4 fasteners).
2. Remove coolent overflow hose from guide & loop over AC test fitting to keep it from interfering (almost a stretch in the 2006).
3. Loosen two airbox cover screws & then run them out with fingers just until flush with opening.
4. Move rear-end of airbox cover towards the engine, grasping corner of filter element.
5. Rotate/slide element around that corner & remove.
6. Reinstall new element using the opposite movement.
7. Ensure bottom tabs are correctly seated by feeling down each side (front & back) where airbox cover meets the rest of the assembly.
8. Hand-tighten two airbox screws & check fitment as desired.
9. Tighten screws & replace coolent overflow hose in guide.
10. Replace covers & close hood.

Take a test drive. Drive some more.

mckellyb
08-18-12, 09:40 PM
Also, do not forget to check to make certain the large vacuum hose (might be EGR) which attaches to the underside of the top half of the housing, near the main duct, didn't come disconnected.

EChas3
08-18-12, 10:09 PM
There is no top half of the airbox. It splits vertically. Are referring to a hose on the bottom of the coupling to the intake?

mckellyb
08-20-12, 12:52 PM
Yes, that one.

I wasn't certain where it was.

Cadjiek
08-20-12, 02:35 PM
As far as I'm concerned this was one of the easiest air filters to repalace. I remove the engine compartment covers, unscrewed the two clamps for the intake tube, removed the tube, unscrewed the airbox cover and removed the old flter. I installed the the new filter to the inside of the cover and not to the box. This allowed easy alignment of the bottom tabs. It when back together the first try. Then put back everything in the reverse order. Yes, do not forget the line that goes to the air intake tube.