: New 1992 DeVille owner - Couldn't be Happier!!!

chrisj428
08-17-12, 04:40 PM
Good afternoon all,

Just wanted to drop by and say Hello! This Forum has already proved to be useful to me, even as I only just picked up Big Red last night!

Please take a minute to check out the album I saved with photos and look forward to more interactions.

All the best,
Chris

MrHolland
08-17-12, 06:15 PM
Welcome to the forum!! Lots of great people and info in here. Congrats on the car!! I'm a sucker for a Cadillac with either red or white interior. In fact, the only thing better than red or white interior, is red and white.. It looks like you bought a good one. Enjoy your stay and your new car sir.

orconn
08-17-12, 07:44 PM
Welcome! Enjoy the adventure!

Aron9000
08-18-12, 01:12 AM
Nice looking Caddy. Didn't know you could buy a Deville of that year with a vinyl top, thought only the Fleetwood models got that.

brandondeleo
08-18-12, 04:18 AM
Last year of that body style, love it. Welcome to CF!

BTW, check out that LeSabre back there with the vinyl top! :histeric:

bigm57ict
08-18-12, 09:09 AM

Actually, 1993 was the last.

I always thought vinyl tops looked odd on the more "aerodynamic" cars (sloped rear windows)
Looks good on the Caddy, though!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-18-12, 10:03 AM
Looks great! I had a '92 Sedan deVille (Light Beige Metallic with the beige cloth interior) from 2004-07. It was a great car! Roomy, very comfy, smooth and reasonably powerful. Never broke down on me either or really gave me any serious trouble. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat and you can get a good one for less than $2000. Seriously, I might have to pick one up if I find a good one for winter duty, as they're pretty much unstoppable in the white stuff.

brandondeleo
08-18-12, 11:13 AM
Actually, 1993 was the last.

I always thought vinyl tops looked odd on the more "aerodynamic" cars (sloped rear windows)
Looks good on the Caddy, though!
Oops, my mistake. :lol:

chrisj428
08-18-12, 01:53 PM
Brandon, in your defense, the top was an aftermarket install by the original selling dealership. The car has been great. Going to to Cadillac on Tuesday for a LOF and general once-over. I'm sure the selling "dealer" changed the oil as they went so far as to convert the a/c to 134a, but the OLM reads 0%, plus I'd like another set of eyes on it. It has a 30/1000 warranty on powertrain, so if anything turns up, I want it nipped in the bud.

Next order of business will be having a Parrot MK-9100 installed (bluetooth/phone/iPod/USB) as I'd like to keep the factory look for the radio. After that, a tasteful window tint, figuring out why someone disconnected the power trunk pulldown, and replacing the aftermarket fixed antenna with the correct power one. (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment, but I must have everything working even if I'm not going to use it, eg: power antenna.

I used to be a moderator over on VWVortex for the Phaeton Forum, as well as B6 Passat and EOS -- was a good group of people. However, the Phaeton was traded on a Prius ~34 months ago and I decided recently I'd done enough to save the planet and needed a treat. Still have the Prius and this will be the "fun car" for the time being.

brandondeleo
08-18-12, 01:55 PM
I've learned my lesson, and the next time it will go straight to my trusted dealership for an inspection, even if it costs me $100 to do so. Good idea to have it looked over.

gdwriter
08-18-12, 05:17 PM
:welcome: and enjoy your DeVille, Chris.

These are great cars. Very comfortable, good power, nice drivers and very durable. The 4.9 engine is rock solid.

I bought a '91 DeVille in 2005 with 200,000 miles on it for $999. After taking care of some neglected maintenance and repairs, Cruella became a very dependable car. At 260,000 miles, I gave Cruella to my niece, and the old girl continues to serve my niece, nephew-in-law and two great nephews very well, now with 271,000+ miles on her:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/544754_10150738061393094_2088118392_n.jpg

orconn
08-18-12, 05:21 PM
Chris, tell us your experience with the Volkswagen Phaeton. I personally don't know anyone with extended "real life" experience with these cars, would be very interested in hearing your experiences and thoughts.

Playdrv4me
08-18-12, 06:02 PM
Oh dear... Volkswagen Phaeton... another victim of the "5HP24" curse!

77CDV
08-18-12, 10:04 PM
Beautiful car, Chris! :welcome:

CadillacLuke24
08-19-12, 05:44 PM
Glad to have ya! Looks like you found an excellent Cadillac :D

93DevilleUSMC
08-19-12, 05:58 PM
Chris, she is a beauty. I've owned one of these before, and I can tell you, you're in for some good driving times. Now, for some suggestions: First, put some whitewall tires on it. This isn't expensive at all; I used to have Firestone put their Firestone FR80S whitewall tires on for $65 a tire. Also, the stock catalytic converter tends to break up inside and really hinder the performance of these cars, so replace them with a high-flow unit soon. For the muffler, talk to your exhaust shop. I had a muffler built for my old '93 that gave the exhaust a low rumble at idle and a very smooth, bassy note under acceleration or cruising. Add a muffler tip with some baffles inside to mellow out the exhaust note even further, and you're set.

Welcome aboard.

brandondeleo
08-20-12, 03:09 AM
I used to have Firestone put their Firestone FR80S whitewall tires on for $65 a tire.
I hate you for that... I had to pay $139/tire for some freaking Toyos.

Jesda
08-20-12, 04:32 AM
An oldie but a goodie. I love the 4.9. Congrats!

chrisj428
08-20-12, 01:15 PM
Thanks everyone!

As far as the Phaeton goes, I loved the car. The only real reason I got rid of it is I was scared to death of owning it outside of the CPO.

I would tell people that owning a Phaeton was like dating an Italian Supermodel. They were expensive, fickle, and required a lot of attention & understanding. If you gave them everything they wanted, the experience was like no other. If you didn't, they'd turn on you quicker than you can say Jack Robinson. I've never owned another car like it and I probably never will again. The best thing about it was it's ability to anticipate. Anticipation is a quality which makes a good servant great, and this car anticipated with the best of them. Right about the time you thought to yourself, "Gee, I wish..." the car would be doing it. "Gee, the sun's over on this side now" and the driver vent is already opening. "Gee, the weather's getting bad" and it's already handling it, turning on wipers, heaters, defrosters, and apportioning power as necessary. All this happened in the background and the only time you noticed anything is when you were in another vehicle and noticed the absence of the anticipation to which you'd grown accustomed.

The car also didn't care what was going on outside. 5400 lbs tends to have an ability to steamroll over things. 110F outside with four people in the car and their luggage doing 80? No problem. 10" of snow, 40 mph winds, and glare ice on the highway reflecting your headlights back at you? No problem. It just didn't care -- it was 70 inside, the seats were applying the correct amount of climate correction (heat/ventilation), the mirrors were handling any unsavory glare from behind, and it just trucked along.

It was also, arguably, the most reliable car VW ever imported to the US.

Too bad the general public couldn't get their brains around a $77k VW. Now...throw two hairdryers under the hood, swap out a few logos, jack up the price $80k, and you can't keep 'em on the lots. Go figure...

orconn
08-20-12, 01:35 PM
How long did you have your Phaeton? Was it in the shop a lot during the time you owned it? From your experience on the Phaeton forum, did all those auxiliary devices, that you describe, hold up well over time or did they tend break and become expensive to repair?

With all the "anticipation" built into the car, did it still retain any feel for the road or sensation of driving that many of us describe as "soul?"

brandondeleo
08-20-12, 01:50 PM
Phaeton :cloud9:

93DevilleUSMC
08-21-12, 07:52 AM
I hate you for that... I had to pay $139/tire for some freaking Toyos.

Recognized brand with better technology (I'm assuming) versus cheap store brand. My tires weren't anything great, hence the low price.

Playdrv4me
08-21-12, 08:00 AM
I was considering an 04+ A8 or A8L until I found out that just replacing the damn battery requires the use of VAG-COM and RE-CODING of the NEW battery. That kind of stupidity is frustrating. I also used to be a huge fan of the Phaeton, but given the Phaeton's reliability in comparison to the A8, I'd rather have the A8. Not to mention the hundreds of pounds saved on the aluminum monocoque chassis.

brandondeleo
08-21-12, 08:20 AM
Recognized brand with better technology (I'm assuming) versus cheap store brand. My tires weren't anything great, hence the low price.
The cheapest one they even had in that size was like $119. It was insane. I just had to get a slightly better one because it needed to be great for ALL weather, since we get extremely harsh winters.

93DevilleUSMC
08-21-12, 08:41 AM
The cheapest one they even had in that size was like $119. It was insane. I just had to get a slightly better one because it needed to be great for ALL weather, since we get extremely harsh winters.

I don't remember off-hand what my CTS tires cost...but it isn't cheap. Bridgestone Potenza Grid019s.

93DevilleUSMC
08-21-12, 08:43 AM
I have only ever seen one Phaeton, but I do remember how high-end the interior looked. I can't help but think that the Phaeton should have been sold as an Audi, though. A car like it doesn't go well with Volkswagen's "average Joe's transportation" image.

Playdrv4me
08-21-12, 09:11 AM
I have only ever seen one Phaeton, but I do remember how high-end the interior looked. I can't help but think that the Phaeton should have been sold as an Audi, though. A car like it doesn't go well with Volkswagen's "average Joe's transportation" image.

The Phaeton had a very nice interior and in my opinion, the gauges on the Phaeton (and the Touareg for that matter) mimicked those of a fine Swiss watch better than just about anything short of a Bentley. Otherwise however, the Phaeton was sorely out of date in comparison to the A8 of the same time frame, especially technology-wise. Audi was already using their very advanced MMI system in 2004 but the Phaeton soldiered on with an antiquated CD based navigation system and other not so advanced features. Perhaps the single coolest Phaeton feature was the HVAC vents that could be completely concealed from view and turned into passive "radiators" instead. If I'm not mistaken, it's one of the few if not the only time the ubiquitous presence of the ungainly A/C vent has ever been tackled head-on and made to disappear altogether.

97EldETC
08-21-12, 03:44 PM

I ❤Lesabre too! Unless you were being sarcastic.

brandondeleo
08-21-12, 04:24 PM
I ❤Lesabre too! Unless you were being sarcastic.
I love LeSabres. The vinyl top on that body style looks absolutely ridiculous, though. :lol:

chrisj428
08-21-12, 05:19 PM
The Phaeton did, indeed, have "soul". Having owned five VWs prior to that one, I know exactly what you're talking about, Orconn.

If anyone remember back into the mid to late '80s when companies like MB and BMW were building cars to an engineering standard and not a price point, the Phaeton was built to an engineering standard. The vehicle was so incredibly over-engineered it was almost ridiculous. And, because it was designed to be assembled by hand, it was very easy to work on. Having been to die Glaserne Manufaktur myself, I can tell you there are only three completely automated processes on the assembly line: fitting of the wheels/tires, fitting of the front & rear glass, and fitting of the trunk "tub". Everything else required some sort of human assistance.

As far as the reliability -- we found, at least on the '04s, 70% of the car's issues were power-related (and fixed with an updated battery controller -- there are two batteries in it, of course), 20% were due to a lack of understanding on the part of the driver, and the remaining 10% were legitimate issues.

Playdrv4me, I read the comparo between the Phaeton W12 and the A8L 6.0 in Automobile magazine. When you looked at the photos side-by-side, you realized the interior of the A8L was a very nice interior whereas the interior of the Phaeton was a very special interior. Additionally, IMHO, the A8L doesn't have the road presence the Phaeton did. Again -- a very nice car vs. a very special car. As far as the avoirdupois is concerned, the extra 1000 lbs on the Phaeton did have a deleterious effect on handling and fuel economy. However, it made for a much nicer ride and contributed worlds to the car's feeling of solidity -- as though it were carved out of a solid block of granite.

talismandave
08-22-12, 11:38 PM
Welcome and great looking Cadillac. I love that color and the wheels are the best aluminum wheel they ever put on IMO.

Night Wolf
08-23-12, 02:57 AM
Very nice! Red seems to be rare and looks good with time. Also a long lost interior color these days. '91-'93 DeVille is a personal favorite. My first car was a '93 Coupe DeVille. Had it for 3yrs, from 80k-120k miles then it was stolen, total loss. I miss the car a lot, mostly because of what it was to me, I never planned on selling it either. Any 90s FWD Cadillac wheels will fit, greatly updates the look on the car, I had '98-mid'01 Seville SLS wheels on mine. OLM is easy to reset, though many oil change places don't know how.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/16859d1137565623-so-coupe-before-pdr_1009.jpg

Personally I wouldn't waste any time with the factory head unit, easy to swap and much improvement to be had. Your car doesn't appear to be a Spring Edition, most likely has the analog speedometer. Get a digital cluster from the salvage yard and with basic wiring skill, it can swap right in. Goes along with the interior a lot better, IMO and really blends nicely with the FDC and ECC. Same with real wood trim from a Fleetwood, both of which I changed over on mine:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/16861d1137565695-so-coupe-before-pdr_1014.jpg

I still have the factory service manual, PM an offer if interested.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/Cadillac%20Parts%20/%20Accessories%20For%20Sale/p8805-Factory%20Service%20Manual%20FSM%201992%201993%20D eVille%20Fleetwood.html

MrHolland
08-25-12, 11:33 PM
^^^Wow, that thing looks great. I want one!!