: Im so embarrassed. But gonna post anyway!

truckinman
08-17-12, 03:47 PM
Well didn't know it was possible, but last Thursday on our 9 hr drive to northern MI, when we stopped to get fuel, we confused the auto locking doors.....on the OUTside of the car.... Left both our fobs inside. Got out n it did it's 3 honk reminder bc our fobs were still in there. Chrissy opened the door to get out her camera. Closed it but I didn't hear the 3 honks. Instead, I heard the SINGLE honk....yep. Our smart key system locked our asses out and both our iPhones IN!!!

For some reason even tho our fobs were close enough seeing as how they where RIGHT by the doors, it wouldn't let us in.

I go inside, use the stations phone n call a tow truck to come out and get us in if they even could. And btw, my mechanical key is on same key ring as my fob,, Oh yea. Good times!

The tow truck driver got there shortly. He put an air bag thing in my door to pump up that spreads out the door from the body just enough to get his rod (no dirty thoughts!) into my door with out scratching it. As he was simply pumping air into this bag, chrissy pulls her door handle and it opened RIGHT up!! With him really even doing anything! Yet there went the worst 80 bucks I ever spent.

Damn technology bit me in the ass that day!

MrHolland
08-17-12, 03:56 PM
Ouch, that hurts!! Look at the bright side, its a self-critiquing problem and probably wont occur again.

truckinman
08-17-12, 04:05 PM
Oh yea. Fobs haven't left our pockets since!

Kev
08-17-12, 04:28 PM
I hate when that happens!

:coffee:

I have to add, I've locked myself out of many of the cars I've owned (for one goofy reason or another) but have always had AAA road service. What's interesting to me is how fast the guys are able to get into my cars. The newer cars seem less secure mechanically than the old ones!

MotownPimp
08-17-12, 04:32 PM
Good for all of us to know. Appreciate the post.

truckinman
08-17-12, 04:37 PM
Good for all of us to know. Appreciate the post.

Anytime. Lol. Glad I could be of service. Lol

The-Dullahan
08-17-12, 06:52 PM
Never had this problem. Once lent someone the Ford and they locked the keys in it, but AAA saved them before I arrived to fix anything. My other cars are all old enough to carry a spare key in my wallet.

Alternatively to AAA however, the Expedition shares the shame design flaw as most fullsize Fords and nearly every fullsize GM made in the last fifteen years. The top of the front doors can be, without any sort of airbag or advanced tool, often by hand alone, pulled away from the body of the car. Then you can get a wire hanger in there. The locks are designed like other modern car locks on these GM and Ford vehicles, so getting a wire hanger to grip it is not happening, but you CAN get it to grip the door handle (either the one on the side you are working from, or if you have a long enough piece of wire, the one opposite you is easiest) and pull it. On cars like these, pulling the inside door handle will open the door, even if it was locked and THAT is how you break into a car.

I won't get into how I learned this, but I have taken the time to shall we say "study" this method and it works with nearly all pickups and SUV's, as well fullsize vans, several minivans and an occasional sedan.

Kev
08-17-12, 06:59 PM
The last car door a AAA tow truck driver opened for me took her all of 3 seconds.
She walked up, slipped in the slim-jim, pulled up and walked back to her truck.

cadillac kevin
08-17-12, 07:25 PM
Never had this problem. Once lent someone the Ford and they locked the keys in it, but AAA saved them before I arrived to fix anything. My other cars are all old enough to carry a spare key in my wallet.

Alternatively to AAA however, the Expedition shares the shame design flaw as most fullsize Fords and nearly every fullsize GM made in the last fifteen years. The top of the front doors can be, without any sort of airbag or advanced tool, often by hand alone, pulled away from the body of the car. Then you can get a wire hanger in there. The locks are designed like other modern car locks on these GM and Ford vehicles, so getting a wire hanger to grip it is not happening, but you CAN get it to grip the door handle (either the one on the side you are working from, or if you have a long enough piece of wire, the one opposite you is easiest) and pull it. On cars like these, pulling the inside door handle will open the door, even if it was locked and THAT is how you break into a car.

I won't get into how I learned this, but I have taken the time to shall we say "study" this method and it works with nearly all pickups and SUV's, as well fullsize vans, several minivans and an occasional sedan.

My dad unlocked the door on a mid 00s explorer with a crowbar and silver solder. His friend had locked his keys in the truck with the truck running, so all he had to do was pry the door away from the truck enough to poke the window down button

Submariner409
08-17-12, 07:36 PM
Anyone who says they've never locked their keys in the car is a liar - from 19XX to now :devil:

Lemme tell ya' about me, Jean, a cornfield, a blanket and Mom's car at 10 PM one June...........

Rolex
08-17-12, 08:06 PM
Get yourself a spare key (one that will open the door and doesn't start the car) and have a bolt soldered to it. Then crawl up under your vehicle and find a preexisting hole in the frame. Stick the bolt through it and use a lock washer and wing nut to secure it. You'll never be locked out of your vehicle again.

orconn
08-17-12, 08:48 PM
^^^ I have just always carried an extra door key, then even if the battery is dead I can get into the car!

Kev
08-17-12, 09:33 PM
Remember the days when Fords and GM cars all had separate door and ignition keys?

dkozloski
08-17-12, 09:38 PM
Back in the day, the way into the car with a coathanger was through the hole where the clutch pedal penetrated the floorboards.

orconn
08-17-12, 09:43 PM
^^^ Gee, Koz, I thought they didn't have door locks in cars in those days! But hey, whatever worked for you!

Johnxlrv
08-17-12, 10:11 PM
Anyone who says they've never locked their keys in the car is a liar - from 19XX to now :devil:

Lemme tell ya' about me, Jean, a cornfield, a blanket and Mom's car at 10 PM one June...........

Not quite true...my old mustang is a pain in that it takes the ignition key to lock the driver's door...but I have never locked my keys in that car (just lost them afterwards...)

vincentm
08-18-12, 12:00 AM

You just won this thread lol

cadi509
08-18-12, 12:25 AM
Makes me glad I pay the 10$ a month for onstar in the Seville but I have locked my keys a few times in other cars......

Playdrv4me
08-18-12, 03:39 AM
Holy crap... We managed to make it EIGHTEEN replies without someone railing on about smart key systems :rolleyes:.

I have noticed the thing about the door frames though. My mom was driving my last '03 Rover back when I had that one and she got side swiped pulling out of our apartments. At first, I was devastated to see the damage on the side of the truck, and my rear passenger side door bowed out and out of shape. A couple of days later I was examining the damage more closely and rather than having some large paint-involved repair done by the insurance company, I decided to try and tackle it myself. Got some rubbing compound and almost completely eliminated the nasty evidence the other car's bumper left behind on the side. Then I carefully examined the damage to the door frame and decided to grab a phone book, stick in between the bottom of the door and frame, and carefully start using my weight to push against the top of the door frame. Had it fixed in 10 minutes and it was good as new. Of course, the insurance company quoted thousands to fix this.

Remember, locks are designed to keep HONEST people out. If someone wants into ANYTHING bad enough, they will get in. A piece of glass is hardly a deterrent anyway.

brandondeleo
08-18-12, 05:21 AM
I've never locked my keys in my car. No joke.

Hopefully I don't, considering the fact that I have no extra key. Just that one. I need to have an extra cut, but it wouldn't be able to start the car. My god, the cost of getting a new chipped and programmed key is RIDICULOUS.

The-Dullahan
08-18-12, 02:05 PM

I have never accidentally locked my keys in my car. I did it on purpose once, as I had to keep the ignition running for what I was doing, but did not trust people to not touch anything, so I shut and locked the doors. As always, I had the spare in my wallet, so I honestly was not concerned. Aside from that, I have never locked my keys inside one of my cars. Ever.

If I ever lock the keys of any of my cars inside the ignition or inside the car and for some reason have lost my spare, I hope it is the Lincoln. That would have to be the easiest car to unlock with a wire hanger, due to the placement and design of the lock, coupled with the vertical split running between the two windows on all Lincoln Coupes of it's design.

This is probably the best photo I have to represent what I am talking about, but essentially, that little gasket would be very easy to fit a wire hanger into. It would just have to be long enough and bent at a funny angle to reach the lock on the same door and open it.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/The-Dullahan/114_1236.jpg?t=1325194879

Apparently, Ford was not concerned with these things when they designed the car. Then again, we are talking about a vehicle that has a hood latch on the outside of the car that requires no key or whatnot to open. Thereby, anyone passing by has complete access to what's under your hood, so long as they are familiar with where the release is.

thebigjimsho
08-18-12, 03:53 PM
Northern Michigan only means UP. Where in MI?

truckinman
08-18-12, 08:33 PM
Northern Michigan only means UP. Where in MI?

Yes sir. Was going to my dads. He lives in paradise MI on rt 123 on white fish bay. He's got a cottage/cabin he lives in year round up there right on lake superior. Very beautiful.

Was my first time up there with out a 4wd jeep. Lol. Kinda sucked won't lie. I love running down those dirt roads. Some the caddy could manage like the one he lives on. But most you at least need the ground clearance. And some, the sand is so deep, even with my jeep with fairly aggressive tires, I'd have to keep my speed up to not get stuck.

Aron9000
08-19-12, 03:19 AM
Kind of on the same topic, I did manage to lock myself into my own trunk one time. We were trying to fix the power pull down on my 91 Brougham, I was in the trunk watching the latch go down. It was kind of an intermittent problem, but this time it worked and latched the trunk with me in it. As soon as it did that my buddy was like

"uh, what did you do with the keys?"
"A BUNCH OF EXPLITIVES"

Left it sitting on the floor of the trunk. He had to drive back to my house, use my "hidden" key to get into my house, and get the spare key for my car. Luckily I only live 5 minutes away, but its still something my buddy will never let me live down.

orconn
08-19-12, 01:58 PM
Too bad you didn't get the incident on video, Aron, the whole sequence would have won you $100,000 on "Most Funny Videos!"

rodnok01
08-19-12, 05:08 PM
Haven't locked myself out in awhile...not to jinx myself... Now I drive POS truck that I can't get someone to steal.
Usually do the hidden key trick when going on trips, esp by myself.